Doh, I am now a crossbow hunter!!

Fletch

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

It is a sweet shooter. I gotta say though any of the crossbow supporters that were saying the crossbow takes practice and skill just like a compound are nuts. My son, niece, nephew and wife all who have never shot a crossbow hit the bulls eye first shot at 25 yards with this thing.

Reload time though especially in a tree stand is not going to make for any seconds shots.

That's just misinformation pushed by the "anti-crossbow" bow-hunting minority.   That fact is, as you are quickly learning, the x-bow is about 5X as effective on stationary targets and 10X as effective on live targets compared to a conventional compound bow.   The reason it is an order of magnitude more effective on live targets is the elimination of the need to draw with the animal in close.   That pretty much eliminates the need to get way up high in a tree, and should greatly decrease the number one cause of hunting accidents (falls from tree-stands). 

The lower shot angles also increase the odds of "double lung" hits, thereby significantly reducing the number of  unrecovered, single-lung hits.  The crossbow is much closer in effectiveness on deer to a modern in-line ML than it is to a conventional compound bow, which may be why the state has categorized it more that way.