How many does should you shoot ?

fasteddie

We usually take 2-3 does between 4 guys and tend to target more mature deer, whether they are does or bucks (3 y.o+). There are some years where we only connect with 1-2 does. It all depends on the herd and where they are feeding. Good video OP.

Managing deer based on percentage of food plots left at the end of the season, and knowing which does are bedding where is some next level stuff.

Too much for 90% of us with just not that large enough amount of land to control. Factor in Mother Nature and other animals that will eat the same food and you've got a tough task. Good advice however, just don't hill yourself trying to manage your population of you have anything less than 100 acres.

Personally, at this point I only kill deer to control numbers and fill the freezer. Big buck, small buck, doe, whatever. If I had a 140" or better walk by, I would probably take a pass. Any buck that can live that long around here deserves another chance.

You only hunt to control the numbers... And you'd pass a 140? I'm sorry but I call bullshit

• Like 2

We try to take 10 mature doe a year at camp.that seems to keep population in check although most years we have to wait for muzzleloader season to have the appropriate tag to get them as pets seem to be up and down every year...

Some afterthoughts on Belo not believing I would pass on a big deer:

Has anyone else ever let a good deer walk by because he/she just didn't feel like shooting a deer at that particular moment?

Has anyone else found themselves sad after killing a beautiful animal? I have. I know this statement puts me in an exposed position. The macho guys can call me names. It doesn't matter. I'll never be the alpha male again. I have nothing left to prove. Those who know me well, know who I am, what I have done, where I have been and what matters. 

I have at times been saddened by the death. It doesn't stop me from hunting. I think the connection to the animal makes me more human. I said in a post some time ago that I do not take photos of myself with dead deer. I don't criticize those who do. Personally, these things are not a point of pride with me. There are lots of deer skulls and racks in the barn, none in the house. The point of hunting is not the killing.

• Like 5

I absolutely agree with your last sentence, although sometimes I need to remind myself to enjoy the process, not the results.  Its easy to focus on results to judge progress, even though they aren't necessarily the only indicator.  Competitive personality will push one to do so often.

I don't doubt that you would pass on a 140" deer if you say so.  I wouldn't but, then again, I haven't had the opportunity.  If I had the lengthy history you do with my fair share of such bucks, perhaps my decision would change.  I have passed plenty of does and young bucks, but a 140" better walk by your stand, not mine, if he doesn't want an arrow flung at him.

Animals have a built-in mechanism to survive. Its just hardwired into them..

I've killed alot of deer in my time hunting. Clean kills are exponentially favorable because it quickly removes the ability for the deer to fight to survive. Contrary to belief, including my desire to want to believe it, animals are not resigned to their fate. Even when fate is slow and inevitable, they will fight to survive. When those situations come, I just do what I need to do to end it. I am appreciative of the chase, the process, and the results, and the benefit the process/result has on me, my friends, my family, and the environment. 

I once caught a coon in a coilspring dirthole set. I was using a 1.5cs and it was a solid front foot catch, and it was on the money, so to speak. I was checking after work and it was dark. Once I realized I had caught a real nice boar coon and he had managed to get tangled into some vines/multiflora, I had to go back to retrieve my .22 to dispatch him rather than my usual method. He was simply too tangled otherwise.

I left and returned to an animal who had decided life was worth living and had made it halfway through his leg just below the joint. Chewing away. It was a pretty vicious site and the sound of that animal gnawing through its own attached bone is something I can still hear to this day. I immediately dispatched the animal and went on my way, and sold him green for $10 or so. Would have earned more money but he wrecked his hide up a bit.

Graphic story, yes. Probably not an encounter for everyone. But, the following year, distemper broke out because the coon population was still too high, and mother nature took her much uglier, more graphic course, complete with neighbors and me all having run-ins with coons midday in garages, houses, barns, etc. At the end of the day there is a chain, if the chain is broken, those effects are often much worse, as I interpret them. We are stewards - we take, but we also give when taking appropriately.

As a result, it lessens my issues with death in those situations. Still sad, but at the same time, its a part of the cycle.

I also love deer jerky and coon hats.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Your degree and data don't matter. Reread the post, I said in this neighborhood - and acknowledged that things vary within a town, even this town. Access for hunters is essential for population control. A 700 acre parcel in sight of me where no does are killed is a serious impediment to controlling numbers. Those guys hunt using large drives of over 20 people on their property, and others, killing every buck they can. We kill about as many legal bucks as does but rarely anything over a 1 1/2 year old.

The point is, these things are very variable from place to place. The opinion I expressed came from a DEC biologist who knows this place. They give me DMAP tags every year without question. They know what is going on here.

Deer per square mile? Hmmmm. I can go for a walk late in early spring and easily count 35-40 deer every evening. None more than 1/2 mile away. How many do I miss?

before the co-op in our area and even now within very few localized areas of the co-op being non-co-op land we have this same problem.  my parent's farm is also a border property for the co-op (people shooting some doe and any legal 1.5 yr old buck).  it makes for a very tough peak to climb.  usually you can assess the lay of the land, even on 80 acres, to use one small spot for much of the pressure associated with doe harvest.  don't under almost any circumstance take a doe in other areas of the property.  it in a sense changes the boundary so the doe feel safe on some of your property similar to the field you mentioned but with even less pressure.  although difficult try not to shoot 1.5 yr olds.  if you do it'll just give them more incentive to go to the neighbors, if you'd rather they lived.  if you have some doe on your land and they feel safe there it'll keep them there a little more.  actually my parent's farm was a no doe zone for a while until before the co-op (I was actually the only except being a son and I took only a couple a year on 350 acres).  you could drive an access road from one end to the other (about a mile) and on a good day see 80 deer in spring and even in September.  one neighbor who's within the co-op had blasted many doe before but now has elected to not shoot any and his field along a major road way will hold 12+ doe on many occasions.  it's also right next to his house.  so that's the advise that hopefully I've got conveyed in some way and didn't mess it up.

Has anyone else ever let a good deer walk by because he/she just didn't feel like shooting a deer at that particular moment?

Has anyone else found themselves sad after killing a beautiful animal? I have. I know this statement puts me in an exposed position. The macho guys can call me names. It doesn't matter. I'll never be the alpha male again. I have nothing left to prove. Those who know me well, know who I am, what I have done, where I have been and what matters. 

I have at times been saddened by the death. It doesn't stop me from hunting. I think the connection to the animal makes me more human. I said in a post some time ago that I do not take photos of myself with dead deer. I don't criticize those who do. Personally, these things are not a point of pride with me. There are lots of deer skulls and racks in the barn, none in the house. The point of hunting is not the killing.

yes

yes

....still wouldn't pass on a 140" buck though.  my personal reasons.  same as yours could be not to shoot it.  I believe ya.  still think same as probably many of us do in that you're old and psychotic for passing a deer that big here in NY. lol

The place I hunt has more horn hunters that pass up every single doe to shoot a small 6 point to say they got their buck... My cameras show 8-10 does per buck at least.... So I try to shoot 2-3 does for every buck I shoot if not more... 

I've been told by very smart deer biologists that it's hard to get above 5:1 but everything I've seen before each season leads me to think we've got the same numbers as you where I hunt in this area.  haven't shot a buck in a while but usually take 3-4 doe every year.

I've been told by very smart deer biologists that it's hard to get above 5:1 but everything I've seen before each season leads me to think we've got the same numbers as you where I hunt in this area.  haven't shot a buck in a while but usually take 3-4 doe every year.

Tell that to Pa back in the 80's...... LOL  My cameras show a VERY different story.... And that is preseason, before the craziness begins so bucks are moving more freely... But hey, they went to school for it... I just base my choices on what I see... Try to shoot 2-3 does for every buck I shoot... preferably more... 

Yes I have and the last I saw it , the year before last it was a 10 pointer ( watched it and let it walk for 5 years ) it would be in the same general area every year.Some one might have gotten it 2 seasons ago , or it is reverting back to a deer with less tines, last year there was a good sized big bodied 8 pointer hanging out in the same general area.

And as far as Doe's  I have not shot one in 5 years . The DEC just handed out Too Many doe permits at that time and the heard dropped to 1/4 of what it was in that year. This year it is finally building up even with the doe's only having 1 fawn each in my area this year and a rough winter for them.

Tell that to Pa back in the 80's...... LOL  My cameras show a VERY different story.... And that is preseason, before the craziness begins so bucks are moving more freely... But hey, they went to school for it... I just base my choices on what I see... Try to shoot 2-3 does for every buck I shoot... preferably more... 

they didn't dispute the claim but basically pointed out that the higher the ratio is out of wack the more one unaccounted for buck in the bushes not picked up by your camera will change the ratio and how many doe you would then be seeing.  which I do agree with but what we find and what we find.  i'll have updated numbers for our area before the season starts this year.

I pass many deer every year and really don't care if I ever shoot one again, but then I have someone that wants meat, or guys aren't having much luck and want a deer, I live on the property I hunt and see many bug buck in my yard, I could take them any time I want, my closest neighbor is 1/2 mile or more away, but there are rules and I follow them, contrary to most. Believing that horns are it , I could care less, and when you care less about the size of horns you will have more fun watching younger and new members killing good deer.. besides why would I want to get full of blood gutting one, just to say look what I got, better letting someone who wants one get it..

• Like 5

they didn't dispute the claim but basically pointed out that the higher the ratio is out of wack the more one unaccounted for buck in the bushes not picked up by your camera will change the ratio and how many doe you would then be seeing.  which I do agree with but what we find and what we find.  i'll have updated numbers for our area before the season starts this year.

Cool.... I'm thinking of setting at least 1 camera to do the "pic every (insert time here) to catch deer further away that the camera doesn't pic up with the sensor.... Maybe that will show me more.... But I'll post my results as well... 

I told the wife last night... We are running out of venison... First time in YEARS..... Had a tough year last year... Got 1 with the bow but then my mother got sick, eventually passed in December.... Day before my vacation to hunt, obviously the hunting didn't happen... So freezer is showing the signs.... I'll be in full hunting mode as will the wife this October to refill it for sure.. 

• Like 1

Cool.... I'm thinking of setting at least 1 camera to do the "pic every (insert time here) to catch deer further away that the camera doesn't pic up with the sensor.... Maybe that will show me more.... But I'll post my results as well... 

it's tough to do an actual survey here.  1 cam per 100 acre block.  should have one in each type of habitat (say CRP field edge and wood lot, whatever).  "field scan" mode is used typically but set to 5 minutes.  try to make sure you don't have a heavily hit food source without a camera that will steal much of the deer attention from your camera spot.  much more too it but you can do some internet research if you're so inclined.  as I said it's not an easy task in NY where you can't put bait or food in front of it. 

otherwise field scan mode works great at low impact monitoring of inside corners of food plots and other game hot spots requiring more coverage area.

keeping a very simple log book helps too.  record your sightings when you get back from a morning or evening hunt with weather, deer spotted, where, and direction of travel.

• Like 1

I told the wife last night... We are running out of venison... First time in YEARS..... Had a tough year last year... Got 1 with the bow but then my mother got sick, eventually passed in December.... Day before my vacation to hunt, obviously the hunting didn't happen... So freezer is showing the signs.... I'll be in full hunting mode as will the wife this October to refill it for sure.. 

I'm sure you'll be alright with the freezer filling from what it sounds like.  sorry to hear about your mom.  it would definitely put a damper on all life activities I'd think.

• Like 1

I am touched and moved by every deer and animal I harvest. I say a prayer after everyone. I have passed plenty of deer for many reasons and one of them is indeed because I'm just not in the mood at that instance.

I guess I don't understand your first comment. You hunt to manage the heard. To me, that sounds like someone who does not take enjoyment in hunting and just wants to kill.

Secondly, do you really understand how big a 140 is?

http://lcohunting.com/gallery140.htm

I just don't believe you. Lets leave it at that.

I pass many deer every year and really don't care if I ever shoot one again, but then I have someone that wants meat, or guys aren't having much luck and want a deer, I live on the property I hunt and see many bug buck in my yard, I could take them any time I want, my closest neighbor is 1/2 mile or more away, but there are rules and I follow them, contrary to most. Believing that horns are it , I could care less, and when you care less about the size of horns you will have more fun watching younger and new members killing good deer.. besides why would I want to get full of blood gutting one, just to say look what I got, better letting someone who wants one get it..

You contradict yourself a little. You say horns do not matter, then you say it's fun to watch young and new members kill good deer. If horns do not matter (and that's your stance, and I don't disagree), then what is a "good deer"

lets be honest, for most its mature. Mature doe are often hardest to kill, but unless they're an absolute swamp donkey or you're good at aging you just don't know...

I'm sure you'll be alright with the freezer filling from what it sounds like.  sorry to hear about your mom.  it would definitely put a damper on all life activities I'd think.

Seeing deer has never been a problem.... Getting the right deer within bow range was always the trick... Then with the rifle and BP, it's getting the right tag and the right deer within range... LOL  And thank you... it was devastating at the time.. But she was in a wheel chair for almost 30 years, fought hard and long.... I'm sure she is without pain or restrictions now...