Bought a used fridge for the garage today

fasteddie

I have been butchering my own deer for quite a few years . After skinning and quartering , it still needs more cleaning before grinding , cutting and packaging . It has always been a problem keeping the meat cold and had to be done by moving all the stuff in the kitchen fridge . I was going to but a new fridge for the garage but the guy at the store said if the garage got around 50 - 55 degrees the new fridge would shut off and not turn back on due to the newer electronic technology . Anyway I bought a 10 cu ft fridge for $130 and it is in great condition . Now all I need is for Deer Season to get here .

• Like 5

I have been butchering my own deer for quite a few years . After skinning and quartering , it still needs more cleaning before grinding , cutting and packaging . It has always been a problem keeping the meat cold and had to be done by moving all the stuff in the kitchen fridge . I was going to but a new fridge for the garage but the guy at the store said if the garage got around 50 - 55 degrees the new fridge would shut off and not turn back on due to the newer electronic technology . Anyway I bought a 10 cu ft fridge for $130 and it is in great condition . Now all I need is for Deer Season to get here .

10 months a year you'll have a dandy beer cooler.............

:)

Good deal, Eddie...I have been lucky....My last 2 garage fridges have been given to me by friends who were getting new ones...

I call it my BBD  ( Beer, Bait, Deer) fridge......

LOL! I got my "BBD" from my brother about 7-8 years ago ….Still running strong..

I love mine! Just be careful electronics or not. Even old-fashioned ones can stop cooling at low temps. I lost some good salmon / trout eggs before I learned this. Luckily before I had venison. Best for me to keep important meats, etc in chest freezer in the house.

I use a fridge every year.  I bone out the deer right away and then age it in meat pans in the fridge for a few days to a week.  soak pads in the bottom or just drain it every couple days.  I trim and cut things up into steaks, roasts, or whatever.  then it keeps the meat to be ground cold for easier grinding.

• Like 1

Maybe I wasn't so smart after all . I put some pop in the fridge and the Refrigerator section doesn't cool . The freezer compartment works great . I have to wait until the guy I am buying it from gets home next Monday and see what he wants to do . I hauled it upright at about 35 mph in approximately 6 miles and it was a smooth ride so nothing should have been shaken up .

sounds like it may have crapped out.... I just replaced my main fridge this year.  bought a scratch and dent big double door Samsung with lower freezer drawer.  slid into the space and all the scratches and dents went away from being covered up! lol  it's huge and pretty nice.  our previous smaller top freezer fridge crapped out at night so we had to go right then.  hauled it in the back of the pickup for a 20min drive faster than you went.  it was fine.  just can't tip them over.  I've got to imagine you can shop around if you still want one.  you're looking for scratch and dent bare bones.  warranty is still the same from the store.

Good Eddie. You think the temp should be around 35- 40? What's the best temp to store meat on cut up?

We just picked up a 6 foot chest freezer from family for 10 bucks that still had freezer stuff in it. Older Kenmore, heavier than guilt. I figure if she conks out, can always throw block of ice in it, cool.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter