An ethics Question

scolopaxmatt

It may be an infinitesimal "hurt" in the scheme of things, but it still exists.

So...

Do you believe that someone must be harmed for an act to be unethical?

Do you believe that the harm/loss must exceed some threshold for the act to be unethical?

I agree there is a big difference between selling one item and making a habit (or side-business) of it. However, both acts are still unethical. Of course, making a profit off your friend by use of an employee discount can be considered unethical in its own right.

Not arguing - just trying to understand your position.

I do believe there is a limit. As a sears employee I buy a washer for my parents at a discount. Sears loses maybe $30. So there's "hurt" yes, but nothing that's going to close the door and it's a perk they realize helps attract people to work there. You're now a "guy that somebody knows that can get you a hook up". So there's a perk. In exchange perhaps my parents take me out to dinner. Nobody gets really harmed. Where sears gets harmed is when I buy a dozen and sell them on craigslist. So I believe I'm answering your question when I say yes I believe there's a level and it applies to the size of the store (mom and pops cant absorb as well) and the amount of times the discount is used.

Eating lunch and bored, so I will point this out:

Ethics can be defined as moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior.  This means that ethical behavior can be consistent or inconsistent with rules, regulations, laws, etc.  In this case, since the employer's purpose in offering the discount can be varied, my view is that the ethical thing to do is to abide by the rules pursuant to which the discount is offered, whatever those are.  Belo pointed out an instance where rules don't require a certain behavior, but the ethical beliefs of many would.  There are also times that laws specifically allow certain conduct that I may find immoral, hence unethical.  Here, I believe that the right thing to do is to comply with the spirit and possibly rules by which the discount is offered and that is determined only by the employer. 

BTW - we don't all share the same moral principles, so your results may vary.

I do believe there is a limit. As a sears employee I buy a washer for my parents at a discount. Sears loses maybe $30. So there's "hurt" yes, but nothing that's going to close the door and it's a perk they realize helps attract people to work there. You're now a "guy that somebody knows that can get you a hook up". So there's a perk. In exchange perhaps my parents take me out to dinner. Nobody gets really harmed. Where sears gets harmed is when I buy a dozen and sell them on craigslist. So I believe I'm answering your question when I say yes I believe there's a level and it applies to the size of the store (mom and pops cant absorb as well) and the amount of times the discount is used.

Sounds like the Robin Hood approach. 

Sorry but none of my FRIENDS would try to make a profit off me.  That is why they are friends.  Anyone who does in this manner would not be considered a real friend, just an associate.  Note the first 3 letters in that last word!

So by your logic I can make a profit of 5$ is ok but you will not allow your company to sell me a jet engine at half price so I can resell it for a profit.  Only because the 5$ is more absorbable than a million dollar sale.  And if I give you something to use that you need it is ok for you to resell it for profit and still need what you sold.

Morally your ethics are out of tune.   That is as nice as I can state it.

• Like 2

for breaking a rule. like i've said a few times, I believe ethics apply to laws sure, but they really come into question when one takes advantage of something that's not a rule. Like not putting an animal out of it's misery. That was my shitty analogy. haha.To say that ethics only apply 

So if a Company has no rule for reselling for a profit, but they fire you for doing just that, which they will, What do you call that??

Unlawful termination??

• Like 2

Sorry but none of my FRIENDS would try to make a profit off me. That is why they are friends. Anyone who does in this manner would not be considered a real friend, just an associate. Note the first 3 letters in that last word!

So by your logic I can make a profit of 5$ is ok but you will not allow your company to sell me a jet engine at half price so I can resell it for a profit. Only because the 5$ is more absorbable than a million dollar sale. And if I give you something to use that you need it is ok for you to resell it for profit and still need what you sold.

Morally your ethics are out of tune. That is as nice as I can state it.

Before you get all bent out of shape let's remember I never said I would do this, or that I have. It's more about how I'd feel about someone who did.

I really have been trying to leave this alone. But.......

You cannot legislate the morality or the ethics of people. They are going to do whatever they want, and it is what it is. But, the line is clear. Wrong is wrong, right is right.

It doesn't matter if it's a penny or hundreds of dollars, you took advantage of someone, and in most peoples opinion, that's not very ethical. Like mentioned, any "friend" who would ask you to do this isn't a friend at all.

Do WTF ever you want to do! Just remember, if the thought of it being unethical entered your mind, then it probably is.

if there's no policy against is and they don't care, what's the problem? and one would have to think that an employee would have to buy a sh*tload of discounted merchandise to turn it into a profit that would harm a company or even be worthwhile for the employee.........whether or not it's ethical is one thing, whether it's even worth the time and effort is another.

if there's no policy against is and they don't care, what's the problem? and one would have to think that an employee would have to buy a sh*tload of discounted merchandise to turn it into a profit that would harm a company or even be worthwhile for the employee.........whether or not it's ethical is one thing, whether it's even worth the time and effort is another.

With me, some things don't have to be defined by Policy or rules. I think people should just know if something is right or not.  ( a foreign concept in todays "ME" world…. I know) There are no posted rules about cutting ahead of people in check out lines but I would never do it and say "theres no rule so…."  There is no written rule or law, that I know of, saying  you have to be quiet in a movie theater, but I would never sit there talking on my cell phone and yucking it up during a movie and say "theres no rule so…" 

I would never think to take my grandmothers handicap parking plaque and say "hey I got the plaque so I can park there  if I want..

I guess my problem is that I put ethics and decency in the same category.. Keep doing what you want I guess.

With me, some things don't have to be defined by Policy or rules. I think people should just know if something is right or not.  ( a foreign concept in todays "ME" world…. I know) There are no posted rules about cutting ahead of people in check out lines but I would never do it and say "theres no rule so…."  There is no written rule or law, that I know of, saying  you have to be quiet in a movie theater, but I would never sit there talking on my cell phone and yucking it up during a movie and say "theres no rule so…" 

I would never think to take my grandmothers handicap parking plaque and say "hey I got the plaque so I can park there  if I want..

I guess my problem is that I put ethics and decency in the same category.. Keep doing what you want I guess.

my "if they don't care" comment meant that if they know about it and don't care and allow it, then I don't see a problem......obviously if a person is doing it and has the slightest feeling they are doing something wrong, then they probably are......which led to my other comment about how much crap they would have to buy and sell to make it even worth the risk, even if it was allowed I wouldn't even waste my time for a few bucks here and there.

I just assume that if a business offers an employee discount, then they wouldn't want employees reselling the items at a profit. 

But if an employer says "hey do want you want with the items we sold you at a discount" then  I guess you're right.

Anyone ever work for someone who said that??

I just assume that if a business offers an employee discount, then they wouldn't want employees reselling the items at a profit. 

But if an employer says "hey do want you want with the items we sold you at a discount" then  I guess you're right.

Anyone ever work for someone who said that??

no, never had to work in a department store on a sales floor, so I honestly have no idea what goes on or doesn't.............I'll get back to you if it ever comes down to that.

Abortion would be more of a political take. Just a bit to much to keep this in general areas don't ya think?

Point is, what is right for some is not for others. Do "ethics" is very rarely black and white or right or wrong.

No… You wouldn't

Have I mentioned what I do for a living? Yes I would.