New To Region

psygrad

Hi Everyone,

I have hunted for the past 5 years or so, mostly rifle, upstate NY. Now I am trying out Bowhunting in Suffolk. The rules and processes to state lands seems confusing. Also, not sure where is the best spot for whitetail. Is there a guide, course, or would anyone offer the best way for a new hunter to the region to approach this for the best results?

Welcome! Glad you found us. Try checking the web on the state land you want to hunt. Most will have info that may help you out. Also the DEC site may have some info for that area as well. If you get up to the capitol region, I can point you in the right direction to some decent state land hunting. Good luck.

Its not that terrible, I've been hunting them for 22 years.  See points below:

1- Basically nothing needs a reservation of check in / check out at the check stations (one in Ridge and the other in Montauk) until Nov. 1.  

2- First come first serve all of Oct.  

3- Park only at the numbered spots on the designed roads and the signs say how many vehicles per spot.  En Con's see the spot with two many vehicles they'll all get ticked, they won't try and figure out who was the last truck there.  

4- Also, no more than two hunters per vehicle.  

5- Remember to put your Access Permit dash card in the window of the truck (get that on the DEC Region 1 link).  Its good for three years ad its free.  It's a two part form, keep the other copy with you.  

6- After that all standard DEC rules apply and watch the signs for no hunting zones within those properties.

7- Nov 1 and after all properties north of the 495 require a reservation and check in at the appropriate check station (Ridge of Montauk respectively).  Most importantly don't hunt a property that requires a reservation without one.  If you get caught you'll be screwed.  

8- This year doe only the first two weeks.

9- No bows in shotgun / muzzle loader lands during the special season weeks see the DEC chart for where you can still bow hunt in Jan (there are a few properties).

10- No Crossbows at all.

If you are a Suffolk Cty resident you can get a Green Key and go to the Indian Island or West Sayville Parks Office and get an annual parks land deer hunting access pass.  It's $35 and well worth it.  You have to be  a Suffolk Resident for that and they hunt in Jan too for the special season weeks.

Last point, invest in Rhino Skin under wear for all of Oct and the first 1/2 on Nov.  Everything in Suffolk bites, the things you can't see bite the worst, and virtually nothing can get through Rhino Skin.

If you have any other questions PM me.  

• Like 3

Welcome aboard!  Great site with great info.  Only thing I would add to Eagle Riders post is Permathrine.  This stuff works to keep the ticks off.  They can have lyme disease so it is something you will want to use to protect yourself.  We have a 3D shoot tomorrow at Suffolk archers, come on down and shoot if you want 8am Registration and practice, 9 am starts the shoot.  30$ to non members, if you can make it ask for Jeff Calderone and I will take you around the course and then go over some hunting spots on the Island.  Otherwise the DEC site is has some good info on location to hunt.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard!  Great site with great info.  Only thing I would add to Eagle Riders post is Permathrine.  This stuff works to keep the ticks off.  They can have lyme disease so it is something you will want to use to protect yourself.  We have a 3D shoot tomorrow at Suffolk archers, come on down and shoot if you want 8am Registration and practice, 9 am starts the shoot.  30$ to non members, if you can make it ask for Jeff Calderone and I will take you around the course and then go over some hunting spots on the Island.  Otherwise the DEC site is has some good info on location to hunt.

Good catch!  Thanks.  Sawyers will is the silent hunting buddy in Suffolk Cty!

WELCOME TO THE SITE 

I bin hunting Suffolk off and on for 25 years now 

If your not too shore of where to hunt you can always stop by D.E.C. in Stony Brook and talk to the officer at the desk of one of the other many officers there always help

Also you might want to ask some of the farmers they might let you hunt there land

and as always you can look it up on line

good luck with your hunt  

• Like 1

Thank you so much to everyone for the information. It is great to have the resource of this site. I truly appreciate the information about the insects etc. I have a couple of more questions. I am hearing that there's a lot of theft of treestands on State Lands. Does everyone use climbers or still hunt?

Welcome.  Most people use climbers, there are some that have stands chained/screwed into the tree, and take the strap on ladder with them. Sadly, if you leave anything in the woods, private or state land, it will not be there for very long. In Suffolk, we have a lot of scumba*s that will steal anything they can. They trespass, bait, and disregard any ethics that most hunters have.  Not all of us are like that, and many will be willing to help you out.  There are many spots to hunt, County and state spots. and Wertheim, which is federal offers a lotto type system to bow/shotgun hunt. You missed that by about 2 weeks though... I'm sure if you ask, many of us will give you a hand. Good Luck and welcome to Region 1

Most I know use tree stands, and others just set up a blind.  The blind is the easy way to go as set up is easy and you can take it with you when you leave.  Otherwise like DeerDuck stated we have many unethical hunters who will steel cameras, blinds and or tree stands so most guys I know take the stand down after hunting.  Only other option is private property but they can disapear in these spots too.  

Personally I like to still hunt but on state land it is pretty hard as most of these area's get pounded pretty good by many hunters and the deer tend to key in on this.   

PS:   If you are interested in Rocky Point let me know because I will be hunting this area more this year.  Or if you want to check out Suffolk Archers and walk the course we can do that too.  Send a PM if you are interested in either.

If your on Facebook you can also look Long Island Deer Hunting, it's a closed group but lots of guys there are willing to take out newbies. You can then inquire about joining Hunters For Deer (HFD). They have access to private lands, there's a small membership fee and you have to shoot in front of someone that will certify your qualification that you can shoot

Edited by bruno1