Something is skeletonizing my turnips.....

Not the big ones but the smaller young ones in more shaded areas...leaving just the veins...can't seem to find the bug doing it...but the big ones seem great...picked today and many are 2x's the size of softballs...little freakish......they are all growing at different rates and some critter is munching them.... both greens and the bulbs...Any ways only lost about 500 sq. feet..hope that's all...may start wishing for a frost ;)

Edited by growalot

This happened to mine last year.. soybeans and young turnips/brassicas.. days later I found a family of woodchucks just laying in them eating them like crazy.. 

a phone call to my retired grandfather later and he sat there and picked them off for me, this year they're getting nibbled on some still, but not near as bad. so I thought.

checked my brassica plots 2 weeks ago, and the deer are absolutely hammering my brassicas, they never have in years prior, not at least until after a few good frosts. Its kinda sad they couldn't wait until October 1st.. haha

checked my brassica plots 2 weeks ago, and the deer are absolutely hammering my brassicas, they never have in years prior, not at least until after a few good frosts. Its kinda sad they couldn't wait until October 1st.. haha

They have been hitting ours for weeks. They only seem to really be hitting the ground hog radish greens right now though, the PTTs and rape are pretty much untouched so far.

Not the big ones but the smaller young ones in more shaded areas...leaving just the veins...can't seem to find the bug doing it...but the big ones seem great...picked today and many are 2x's the size of softballs...little freakish......they are all growing at different rates and some critter is munching them.... both greens and the bulbs...Any ways only lost about 500 sq. feet..hope that's all...may start wishing for a frost ;)

Sure sounds like Japanese beetles, Grow. I fight them off my roses and they do the same exact thing.

• Like 1

With all the corn, clover, soybeans and alfalfa around us, I cant believe there hammering on my rape this early. my big leafy plots are looking pretty thin already.

I'm hoping apples start.falling and.they.back off brassica a bit ,crazy hitting them sonearly.,perhaps it's lack of water here

G-man ...I thought on that and I just think it was the growing season...I do not know why..did nothing special...but every single veggie and fruit this year is very sweet...I shared green beans and ppl that said they don't like them ate them and asked if we had more..the tomatoes were wonderful and even the summer squash had a bit of sweetness to them...Mr B had turnips the other night and raved about the flavor..... so not just garden plants this year...

the apples have been falling like crazy here last few weeks. But there are a ton left to fall still. Should be a good early season with all the food around my place. seeing deer and turkey every time i go to pull cards. we have a good crop of bucks this year... just a few does though..