LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Honest opinion on going out in wind and rain in the am

...thinking about trying

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's my firm opinion that the reason why hunters say deer don't move in the wind and rain is because hunters don't hunt in the wind and rain. I've gotten some great deer on poor weather days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

...thinking about trying

Not the best for movement in general and kinda sucks to sit through , but as others have stated I've taken not a lot but a few good bucks during windy rainy days ... Odds aren't great but it happens ... However , this kinda wind (don't know where your located) is downright ridiculous at gust of 40 - 60 here in WNY ... I'm taking the day off for some much needed R & R , and I think they'll be moving good Saturday morning as the winds lay down quite a bit and temps back down in the 30's with the pressure coming back up ... Been watching the pressure closely this year and I'm a believer so far as the days I've had opportunities at both shooter bucks have been pressures of 30.2 or higher ....

• Like 2

...thinking about trying

I went out tonight, winds 30, rain on and of and connected with a doe. I actually think the high winds are a help to the hunter.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm on the Broome tioga border and I've seen well over 50 deer this year, that's triple what I usually see.

I'm on the Broome/Tioga border too, Apalachin here. Sightings way down for me this year but so are my hours on stand. Consider yourself lucky.

• Like 1

Nice job ! How long did that take? I was going to try a European mount on mine but was unsure if I wanted to deal with the work.

Thanks .

initally your going to need 3-4 hours. then i just clean a little bit up each day. i probably have 5 hours into it. i dont whiten them i like the natural bone look on a piece of cedar off ebay. i leave it by the coal stove to dry the excess in between days and nights. its alot easier than i thought.

I'm on the Broome/Tioga border too, Apalachin here. Sightings way down for me this year but so are my hours on stand. Consider yourself lucky.

i do, i think its just a right place kinda year. i have 10 differnt bucks hitting one scrape at a property i havnt been bowhunting because my bow tags is filled. cant wait till gun! im towards maine.

Edited by Hock3y24

Nice job ! How long did that take? I was going to try a European mount on mine but was unsure if I wanted to deal with the work.

Thanks .

Yeah, how long did it take you and what is your process? Did you boil, pressurewash?

POSTED AT SAME TIME _ saw your post above. Thanks.

Edited by Zem18

Just a slow simmer in hot water, not Boiling. With dish soap added to degrease. You car get the brain out with a regular garden hose head. Then just start picking away knife, dental tool, wire brush, needle nose plyers. Meat comes off much easier while warm. Then after you are about done with meat I let it dry then scrape the rest off with a knife.

Just a slow simmer in hot water, not Boiling. With dish soap added to degrease. You car get the brain out with a regular garden hose head. Then just start picking away knife, dental tool, wire brush, needle nose plyers. Meat comes off much easier while warm. Then after you are about done with meat I let it dry then scrape the rest off with a knife.

Same exact technique I use.

• Like 1

I cut the skin off and as much soft material without putting to much work into it , then i just put it boilng water with 10 mule team ,remove about once an hour and scrape anything loose off with a spoon . once its cleaned off ,i finish off with a soft bristle brush and some spray bottle oxy clean. then a couple days to let the peroxide sit , finally wash with oxyclean and you're done. Techniques seem to vary from person to person so you have a big window to not screw it up ,just be careful when boling that you dont lose the sinus bones or teeth.

• Like 1