Affordable Broadhead Target

Uptown Redneck

Does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable target to shoot broadheads into? I really don't want to spend $100 for a "Block" target for the handful of broadhead-tipped bolts I'll fire into it each fall, especially since I already have a brand new bag style target for year round fieldpoint practicing. I've heard about the Black Hole Target available at Walmart but I'm reading mixed reviews about its stopping abilities.  

I need two block targets because I blow right thru one the seond one stops it. Even at 40 yards. I have a Excalibur matrix 310 and it blows thru not sure how many fps your crossbow shoots but recommend two block targets. You can get two for under $100 at dicks.

Papist

How thick are the boards you use?

I think they are 1 inch thick, so you cut a board into 3/4 sections and add slips of cardboard in-between each stacked section. I find this thick enough to stop the arrows going through all the way, but thin enough to screw the head off on the backside to allow easy removal of the shaft.Never had a full pass-through.

I need two block targets because I blow right thru one the seond one stops it. Even at 40 yards. I have a Excalibur matrix 310 and it blows thru not sure how many fps your crossbow shoots but recommend two block targets. You can get two for under $100 at dicks.

Use a ratchet strap around the outside of the block target and then ratchet it down.  It will compress the foam layers and give you a little more life/stopping ability.

I got a black hole target from Gander last year, and it is starting to wear out from broad heads.  I'll be putting a strap around it soon.  I had an original Block target that pretty much dry rotted, it lasted a long time.

Returned the Buck Commander block to Walmart and brought a Field Logic Yellow Jacket  discharge bag from Dicks for $20, figured for the price it will do the job of fine tuning my bolts (might need some duct tape to keep it together). Plan on trying it out tomorrow after work, hopefully it won't be raining. Will post pics of how the target holds up.

OK, here is the result of yesterday's testing of the target I brought to shoot broadheads into. The first two bolts passed completely through with only the fletching remaining in the target, they were stopped by the hay bale backstop. The third and final shot (it was raining and I was hungry) as you can see was stopped, it took me twenty minutes and the cutting of an exit channel through the back of the target to remove it. Overall (and for only $20) I was pleased with how it held up so far, will play with it more over the weekend being the expected hurricane is now going out to sea.

Still not satisfied with where bolt is hitting, as you can see hitting a bit high and to the left. think maybe a few more clicks on the scope will make me happy

post-6503-0-66709600-1443799796_thumb.jp

Edited by Uptown Redneck

OK, here is the result of yesterday's testing of the target I brought to shoot broadheads into. The first two bolts passed completely through with only the fletching remaining in the target, they were stopped by the hay bale backstop. The third and final shot (it was raining and I was hungry) as you can see was stopped, it took me twenty minutes and the cutting of an exit channel through the back of the target to remove it. Overall (and for only $20) I was pleased with how it held up so far, will play with it more over the weekend being the expected hurricane is now going out to sea.

Still not satisfied with where bolt is hitting, think maybe a few more clicks on the scope will make me happy

attachicon.gifBAG.JPG

You guys pay $20 for that?? Try stuffing some old rags/clothes in a 25lb rice/burlap bag or something. Spend the $20 on new broad heads and arrows.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Last year, I verified that my broadheads hit the same spot as fieldpoints, using my old archery foam block target. The broadheads would penetrate thru the block, I would unthread them, then pull the shaft out the front. Unless I change broadhead brands or types, I will use only fieldpoints for practice. It was always a pain pulling them fieldpoints from that compressed foam target. Today, I just filled a nylon seed bag with old sweatshirts and towels and used that. It worked like a charm and did not cost me a dime.

I was itching to play with my new range finder, which arrived in the mail yesterday. It worked very well. I am all dialed in now with the top dot right on at 20 yards, the middle at 40, and the bottom at 50. Shooting from a rest, all shots to 50 yards struck within 1" of center. I will have to try a little "offhand" work later. That free "rag-bag" sure makes practice go smoothly with fieldpoints anyhow. It will also be great for unloading the crossbow after hunts.