Moving Back to NY

pitweiler

Hi there, I'm hopefully moving back to NY in the near future. If I do, I'm may acquire a new hunting rifle (I'd rather buy some new clothes and a climber stand). I'm looking for some person's with experience to chime in.

I may be moving to the Adirondacks region. I am very familiar with the wildlife in that area and spent many summers there as a boy scout having numerous meet and greets with the local black bear population. I am NOT a bear hunter. I love bears as long as they leave me and my family alone and don't cause trouble. I'd rather photograph them than shoot them. I know that bear attacks are super rare so I'm not worried about it. I have a Marlin .30-30 for the house with open sights that should do fine with some stout 150's or 170's in it if the 1% ever visits me.

I haven't hunted deer in NY since 2004. I remember them being a lot bigger than southern whitetail. I hunt with a Ruger 77 Hawkeye All Weather Ultralight .243 Win down here and I really enjoy it more than my Savage 110 .30-06. Will the .243 Win be fine for NY deer, or do I need to pick up a 7-08 or 308? I like short rifles and prefer a 20 inch barrel for better handling so I stay away from long actions now. I figure on loading the .243 Win with some tough 95-100 grain bullets. Should I be out and find the need to harvest a black bear, how will the .243 hold up? I read some articles that say the .243 is anemic, others say the .243 will kill everything on North America with the right bullet and proper placement.

How am I looking? I don't think I need to change anything up, but I wanted to hear from some people with more experience.

Thanks.

If you want to get another gun, go for it.  From what you have said though, you have at least a .243, 30/06 and 30-30.  Those three rifles will treat you well in NY.  The .243 would be a little light IMO for black bear, but if you decide you want to go after one then just bring one of the other two rifles along and you are set.

Plenty of NY whitetail have dropped from a .243. That being said, I think it will kill a bear, but it's without a doubt less than ideal. There's just a lot less room for error with a small bore round on a 300-400 pound animal. It will get the job done, but I wouldn't personally do it.

I have to ask this question.  Why are you returning to NY?  I think most gun owners in NY are quite upset with the state at this time.  Most would leave if they could.

There is more to life than guns. I miss family and I want my kids to grow up the same way I did. Laws, especially gun laws will change for good or for bad. Part of the problem in NY is that no one really stands up and says NO MORE. Most people just take it and leave or bicker on the internet but won't actually fight for their rights. People need to keep protesting in Albany like they did a few years ago. We can't just have one or two good shows and be done with it. Has to be lots of people regularly. Start voting those that voted for the SAFE Act out of office. Make noise, don't give up.

• Like 4

Understood, but I don't think there will be any change for the better, in Albany or the attitudes of NY's gun owners.  If you don't own any black rifles or handguns, you won't feel the pain as bad as those who do.  But it must be a concern for you if you were living down south up to now.

Understood, but I don't think there will be any change for the better, in Albany or the attitudes of NY's gun owners.  If you don't own any black rifles or handguns, you won't feel the pain as bad as those who do.  But it must be a concern for you if you were living down south up to now.

I have both. I will deal with the draconian BS. I'll probably sell my AR and buy a bunch of hunting supplies.

First off welcome back, NY is a great state. Great hunting opportunity's, beautiful country, prime real estate, excellent dining and great people.

Yup the gun laws are extreme but don't really effect hunters despite what alot of people would want you to believe.

As far as your firearm choices are concerned your spot on and ready to go. I'm considering a .243 myself.

If you ever decide to take on black bear than yea a nice 3006 bolt action would certainly be the way to go.

Not sure if your interested but NY has some great bow hunting opportunity's and you can now hunt with a crossbow.

Oh your far from the first that I heard coming back, many do and many others are sorry they left.

I'm a NYer for life.

There is more to life than guns. I miss family and I want my kids to grow up the same way I did. Laws, especially gun laws will change for good or for bad. Part of the problem in NY is that no one really stands up and says NO MORE. Most people just take it and leave or bicker on the internet but won't actually fight for their rights. People need to keep protesting in Albany like they did a few years ago. We can't just have one or two good shows and be done with it. Has to be lots of people regularly. Start voting those that voted for the SAFE Act out of office. Make noise, don't give up.

The problem is that NY is two states under the same name; NYC and everyone else. This become crystal clear to me when I saw the map about which counties passed resolutions against NY SAFE. I agree with you there are more to guns, though, and NY has a lot to offer.

Having researched this recently myself it's clear that the 243 is a perfectly capable deer cartridge. Too many people think you need a ridiculous cartridge to take something that only weighs a couple of hundred lbs. When was the last time somebody claimed a shotgun doesn't have the muzzle energy to take a deer? At 100 yards a foster slug has less energy than the 243. Black bears aren't much larger than a deer, and NY says any centerfire round is acceptable for hunting.

Edited by Core

I can't believe this has turned into a why would you do that thread. Are guns the only aspect of your lives?

For many upstate NY residents, guns are a very big part of their lives.  So are Freedom and Constitutional rights.  NY is a state that has proven it does not trust it's responsible law abiding citizens and would be happy to be more of a Police State.  

That fact is going to effect more than just the guns in your life.  Guns are not the only aspect of the lives of people who can understand what an attack on their gun rights is all about.

I can't believe this has turned into a why would you do that thread. Are guns the only aspect of your lives?

What are you, some kind of commie pinko fag ??

Mods, somebody BAN this guy !!....BURMJOHN..!!...

Oh, by the way....Welcome back to NY...<<grin>>..

• Like 1