The "great" scope debate

jimbo91

So, i got a new rifle. For anyone who hasn't read my previous posts, it is a savage edge, .270 caliber. Now when i got my rifle, i got impatient and wanted to shoot it. I bought a shooters edge scope. Well long story short the edge has an abnormally long distance between mount holes, and the scope was too short. I returned it, and my uncle leant me a traditions scope just to shoot it for now and get a feel for it. Now i have time to save up for a decent scope, but the problem is there are so many different brands and features out there i am overwhelmed. Everyone says for the price you can not go wrong with a Nikon Pro staff. Then I have others telling me that leupold is the way to go. Then i have people telling me that a scope is a scope just buy one. I know leupold has a lifetime warranty, but is it really worth the price? If i am walking through the woods, and for some reason beyond my control my sling swivel stud falls out of the gun, and the scope hits the ground and breaks, is that covered? Another thing, everyone says 3-9x40 is the usual deer hunting scope, But i was at the range, a 50 yard range with my uncles 3-9x40. I want to sight my rifle in for 100 yards, but it seems to me that that is way to far for a 3-9...

So, the few key questions i have are

Is brand name such a big deal when it comes to scopes?

Do you REALLY get what you pay for?

Just how much does a leupold lifetime warranty cover?

Is 3-9x40 really strong enough for 100 yard shots?

And if anyone happens to know, why in the world are savage edge's drilled and tapped so far apart?

, a 50 yard range with my uncles 3-9x40. I want to sight my rifle in for 100 yards, but it seems to me that that is way to far for a 3-9...

So, the few key questions i have are

Is brand name such a big deal when it comes to scopes?

Do you REALLY get what you pay for?

Just how much does a leupold lifetime warranty cover?

Is 3-9x40 really strong enough for 100 yard shots?

And if anyone happens to know, why in the world are savage edge's drilled and tapped so far apart?

3x9x40 is more than enough for 100 yrd. I have a fixed power 4x30 I use on my muzzleloader and practice out to 120 yrs. Brand name is important IMO I have seen some of my friends buy substanders scopes and come to hate them.

Look at Vortex, high quality glass, made in the USA, lifetime warranty, full of available features and alot easier on the wallet than any comparable Leupold. If you were close by, Id say come take a look at mine. There is someone else on here that bought one as well and loves it. Check out swfa.com for the best deals on them.

A 3-9 is plenty for 100 yard shots in a hunting situation.

As far as how its drilled and tapped, couldnt you use a one piece rail instead of split rails and solve your spacing issue? Im not that familiar with the edge, just going off of pictures I found.

you just have to remember that opinions are like butts.  Everyone has one and they usually stink, because they are based on limited experience.  Myself for isntance. I have always used bushnell and nikon.  I have never used anything else.  So, of course I am goign to say they are great.  Others only whatever brand they like.  The best advice you can get is get the best scope you can afford.  If you put up a post asking about anythung you will get a different answer form everyone.  Go to a sporting goods store,  look at scopes look through them see what you like, then see what you can afford. 

I understand where your coming from bubba. Is it all just an opinion thing, i mean how many people ave actually had scope failures, not just heard horror stories? In my opinion when i bought the shooters edge, when i looked through that scope it was as clear as it gets... so I am not sure, is a scope just a scope? The only thing i have been hearing a lot lately is whether or not a scope holds 0, what does that even mean?

As others have said, you won't regret buying the best qaulity scope you can afford..

Rather than buying  a cheap scope new, you may be able to purchase a quality scope used...

I have 4 Leupolds, all in perfect condition, and the most I paid for any of them was $160....

Gunshows are a good place to look for them, as are online auctions such as gunbroker.com...

Don't get too hung up on high magnification, either...I see so many hunters ruin the lines and balance of a fine hunting rifle by adding some long, heavy, high magnification abomination of a scope to it when they would be much better served by a high quality fixed power scope such as the Leupold M8 4X......  That scope is light, optically excellent and absolutely dependable..

Why hunters think they need a 9X scope (or higher) to shoot deer sized game at normal ranges is beyond me.... I'm not just talking woods hunting ranges, either, but ranges out to 300 yards...

I dont know if it is the scope my uncle leant me, or if im just slow, but at fifty yards at 9x magnification it was a little far for me, then again im not used to shooting with a scope

Move the dial to "9" and try it again .  ;D ... ;D ...The 9X scope has to be a big improvement over open sights . I have a 1.5 X 4.5 scope on my ML and it's good beyond 100 yards .

If you are having problems at 50 yards on 9 power it's because the power is set too high and you have too small of a field of view.. At 50 yards the scope should be set on 3 or 4 power MAX, and if the deer is moving, 2 power would be better.. That's a big disadvantage to variable scopes...People turn up to max power to look at something far away and forget to turn them back down, and then a deer jumps up right in front of them and they can't get it in the scope... In the woods most hunters would be much better served by a fixed 2.5, 3 or 4 power scope... The only variable I use on a hunting rifle is a 2x7, and if I am hunting somewhere that I expect a shot within 100 yards, I leave it set on 2 power...  My other rifles all have fixed power 4 or 6 power Leupolds, and I only use the 6 power ( on a .280 Rem) if I am hunting open areas and anticipate the chance of a shot between 200 and 400 yards..

The only thing i have been hearing a lot lately is whether or not a scope holds 0, what does that even mean?

It means once the gun is sighted(zeroed) in, does it stay where it's supposed to or do the crosshairs move without touching the scope.  Some scopes can't take the jostling of a truck on unpaved roads or a bump on the way to the stand and the crosshairs will not be where they were when you zeroed the scope in.  Your POI will be off where you're aiming.

I believe the best scope value on the market today is the Redfield Revolution.  You can get it in 3x9-40mm for around $150.  It is made by Leupold and comes with the exact same FULL lifetime warranty.  If anything happens to it, they will replace it, as long as you send the broken one back.

They also sell it with the Accu-Range reticle.  I own one that is mounted on a .308 Steyr-SSG.  This is one of the worlds most accurate rifles and this scope is providing all of the accuracy the original Khales scope was providing.

Perfectly clear optics, great low light image, matte finish and totally reliable.  Check it out here.

http://www.redfield.com/_media/downloads/Revolution_3-9x40mm.pdf

Leupold® Optics Recognized for Excellence           

[table][tr][td]

[table][tr][td]

2030247.jpeg [/td][/tr][/table]

BEAVERTON,  Ore. - Leupold® riflescopes, binoculars, spotting scopes and  rangefinders earned widespread recognition for product excellence over  the past year from leading outdoor media and other organizations.

Most recently, Leupold's Redfield® Revolution™ riflescopes were  selected as the 2011 American Hunter Optic of the Year in the NRA  Publications Golden Bullseye Awards competition. Golden Bullseye Awards  acknowledge the finest products available in the shooting sports.

In addition, the 2010 OpticsPlanet Brilliance Awards cited Leupold as  the "customer's choice" Riflescope Brand of the Year, Rangefinder Brand  of the Year and Spotting Scope Brand of the Year. This annual awards  program polled thousands of customers who cast more than 22,000 votes.

"We greatly appreciate each of these honors," commented Pat Mundy,  communications manager for Leupold & Stevens, Inc. "Taken together,  the awards have real significance for our company and our customers  because they reflect the judgment of optics users and authorities  nationwide. This is great feedback as we continue to develop products  that meet the highest standards of optical performance, mechanical  function and rugged durability."

Other 2010 recognition for Leupold optics includes:

* Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence - Redfield Revolution riflescopes received the Optic of the Year Award

* Outdoor Life Optics Test - Redfield Rebel™ 8x32mm binocular and  Kenai™ 25-60x80mm spotting scope earned "Great Buy" designations

* Field & Stream Gear of the Year Buyer's Guide - Redfield Rebel  8x32mm binocular and Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm riflescope named as  "Best of the Best" test standouts

[/td][/tr][/table]

the only scope I ever had fail was a tasco...but that was after 10 years of use. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the midranged scopes on the market today but, bubba's advice is right on....go look and get one that you like.

I have suggested this before and I stick to it...DO NOT GO CHEAP ON MOUNTS AND RINGS. I believe a lot of the inability  to hold a good zero is due to the mounts/ rings.....make sure it is mounted correctly.

I like  the 2 piece rings and a big fan of the Leupold twist in rings...they lock in like concrete. That said I am NOT a fan of the weaver rings.

I think unless the rifle is a heavy recoiling gun, the standard Leupold bases and rings are good.  The double twist type can be very expensive.

I will have to look those up. I don't think I have seen those. The ones I use dro in and quarter turn in. I have a 1" hardwood dowel I use for twisting and alignment

Culver, I was referring to the set where both rings twist in 1/2 turn, front and back.  Those are usually used on magnum rifles.  I find the standard set, where only one ring twists in and the other one has side grips, to be fine on most standard rifles.