Anyone Ice Fishing ?

RTF

Been fishing Chautauqua lake the last couple weekends.  good thick ice and the perch are there in about 25-30 feet of water,  went out off long point state park and came home with about 40 keepers.  Got to watch out for the snowmobilers now,  they must think they own the lake and buzz your tent. 

I'm currently waiting on the ice to thicken up down on Silver Lake.  My brother-in-law, his dad, and myself hit it for the first time last winter and pulled out at least 2 pike per trip, after we got new lines on the tip-ups (old mono line kept snapping, otherwise those numbers would have doubled).  We're using live bait in roughly 3' of water.

The first time we hit the area (private land access, on the NW side of the lake), we ran holes perpendicular to the shore and never got hits on the deep ones.  Everything was in the 3-5' depth range.

We jig mostly to kill time, and rarely catch anything.  Currently looking for new waters to hit, just for a change of scenery.

Camper..try Sodus bay.

That may be on the list.  The hard part is that we're all spread out.  I'm in Fairport, my brother-in-law's farther south in Livonia, and his dad's farther than that, down at the South end of Silver Lake, in Castile.  Incidentally, he's also the one that has all the equipment. 

We may give Sodus a try, though.  It'll save me some driving for once.

Really have to watch the ice here...but Canadice hase some very nice pan fish and the Pickerel action can be very good. I have tried but never did very good on Trout there but we always throw out a couple deepeer rigs to try.

The water fluctuations have to be watched on this and Hemlock but both have produced well for me over the years

• 2 weeks later...

Went out on Honeoye Saturday.  Hit the ice out in front of Trident, and landed 3 pickerel and a bunch of small perch.  We weren't out deep enough to catch big perch, but we mostly jig just to kill time between flags.

5379798356_470173f196.jpg

IMG00020-20110122-1055 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

5379798538_0c326c1be9.jpg

IMG00021-20110122-1137 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

5379798742_23b4528baf.jpg

IMG00022-20110122-1321 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

We fished both Wilson and Olcott yesterday.

Wilson was very slow, we got 1 pumpkin seed about 3-4 inches long, a couple others were having the same luck.

We packed up and moved to Olcott, same story there.  Did manage to hook up with 1 trout under the ice, that was fun while it lasted, then the ice got the best of the line and the fish was gone.

Went out on Coneseus yesterday. there wasn't another guy ont he ice that we could see. Had one really nice pike or Tiger on that bit through the line at the hole. one walleye that cane off at the hole as well. couldn't even jig up a single panfish. had tipups from 5 to 25' of water ont eh west side drop off.

Culver... Remember Coneseus in the GLORY days of perch fishing when you would see groups of several hundred fishermen all across the lake..??..

I have only been out once this year..Fished Keuka a couple of weeks ago with a buddy  We fished the Penn Yan end and kept 45 nice bluegills..Put back at least as many smaller ones..

I had an invite to go back up today, but at -3 degrees, it's just too durn cold for this old fart to go out on the ice...

Culver... Remember Coneseus in the GLORY days of perch fishing when you would see groups of several hundred fishermen all across the lake..??..

I have only been out once this year..Fished Keuka a couple of weeks ago with a buddy  We fished the Penn Yan end and kept 45 nice bluegills..Put back at least as many smaller ones..

I had an invite to go back up today, but at -3 degrees, it's just too durn cold for this old fart to go out on the ice...

Seems as though the lake has fallen of in popularity in recent years. I do know guys that are pounding the perch...big lake perch.....on Irondiquoit bay.

I think it may warm up enough that I will try Canadice for some trout and smelt this weekend

Were are you going?

lol - loose lips sink ships, i don't give up my honey holes.

I don't mind mentioning lakes like Oneida or Chautauqua because they are big enough that you are still guessing as to where to go. Even on those lakes i have watched talk about catching the big one and the next day there are 300+ guys in the vicinity.

LOL...I wasn't tryign to find a honey hole...although I wouldn't turn my back on a tip either :)

I have quite a few buddies that are hitting the hard water on a regular basis and was trying to see if I could give you a ice thickness update.

I might try Canadice on Saturday...unless I get tied up at a cheer leading competition