Craziest ending to a hunt......

DanielT

I would say....the time I was bloodtracking a buck I had shot and walk to within 5 yards of him in swamp before I saw him...still alive but bedded....we locked eyes...I shot again and he jumped up and ran straight into the deepest part of the swamp and died....had to go in up to my waist to get to him and he was tangled in an old barb wire fence under the water...so I had to get wet up to shoulder to get him out....but we do what we have to do....brrrr...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My uncle had shot a doe and me him and my dad were standing there talking and taking pics when 2 more deer walked in and stopped right behind my dad....I said dad deer he turned and dropped 1 50 yards from where we were standing I couldn't get a a shot at 3rd but was still cool

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Shot a doe about 150 yards in the woods from my friends house, shot looked good but blood dried up and after 2 hours we couldn't find her decided to go in for lunch and come back out, found her on the way in 20 yards from his back door in the yard

• Like 1

I shot a 6 point in archery, hit it back a bit, and after 4 1/2 hrs, started tracking down the hill.  In full camo, mask, gloves, etc.  an hour later saw the buck bedded ~ 30 yds below, looking downhill away from me next to a fallen tree.  Needed to move ~ 5 more yds sideways to make a shot when out of the brush to the side of me a 4 point comes walking, straight at me.  (Afterwards, it appeared I was on a fairly well used trail along the side of the hill.)  Forky is curious about what I am, and continues at me, and grunts twice as he approaches.  May of had some buck lure on me?  My shot buck now is watching him intently from his bed.  Forky comes in to ~ 3 feet, stops, and stomps 2 or 3 times watching me stand there, pauses ~ 20 seconds then snorts and bolts straight away from me, right at the bedded buck.  Forky jumps the dead fall the other is bedded next to, and the wounded deer follows right after.  Fortunately, the wounded deer falls right after his jump and collapses only 10 yds farther away.  Went over the the 6 to make sure he was done, and there stands forky, 20 yds down the hill stomping at me again.  He watched me until I took of my mask and said Boo to him.

• Like 1

Last year on the last day of rifle season we were doing deer drives. I wound up shooting a good sized doe to fill my tag. My buddy that has been hunting with me for the last several years has always made fun of me for carrying as much ammo as I do. (I carry 15 rounds and hunt with a Browning semi auto .308) For years I have had to hear about how I clank through the woods like my pockets are full of change. Well last year my buddy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. (normal for him) He wound up running out of ammo (and never got a deer) . He shoots a 30-06 so I couldn't help him out so he ended up begging other guys in our hunting party for ammo. It sure was fun listening to all the guys raz him and I am sure I will never hear another word about what I carry in the woods.....

I shot a buck out of a tree stand on town land that ran along a creek. I had a good chest hit and great blood. I knew I hit the deer good. It was a thick area and after I hit the buck it ran out of site within 40 yards. I was following good blood along the game trail right along the creek and lost the sign. There were deer prints in the bottom in the shallow water that just stopped a foot in. I was convinced the deer crossed or turned back on the creek trail. I looked that whole day up and down and even drove around to come in other side of creek and look all over there. Went back the next morning and looked some more and had about given up. I was hiking down the creek and I noticed an antler and just the top of a shoulder sticking out of the water in some deadfall. It was my buck, he died right at the creek fell over and floated probably a half mile down the creek. He was just fine as the water was in the 40s. Man that was a sonofabeech pulling up outa that creek and up the bank.

I had another in that spot that after I shot it crossed the creek and died on the run 10 yards from the back lawn of the local police station. Guess he was going for help!

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

i was walking into my stand this past weekend, around 430-5.. pitch black out as its a long hike to my spot. i come to a small field, and catch eyes out in front of me with my flashlight. it was a very big bodied deer so i turned off my light and waited 15 minutes or so, hoping the deer would keep walking. he was upwind of me so i knew he couldnt smell me and wanted to minimize any damage done by running into him like this. after 15 minutes i turned on my light, didnt see him so i continued walking. i went about 30 yards and saw him 20 yards off my trail staring at me. could easily see the wide rack at this point, and he could see my flashlight, but he couldn't see me or smell me. after about 30 seconds i hear 2 snort weezes and he started stomping the ground with his front paw. . Was briefly worried of him charging me and knocked an arrow(not that it woulda done much good in the pitch black). This continued for 2-3 minutes until he lost interest and walked away. i gave it another 15 and contiinued to my stand not to see a deer all morning.

• Like 1

I had a buck jump a hedge row and land on me ..I saw it coming with enough time to swing my browning up into my other hand to block his hitting my head...I was going down on my left knee trying to avoid the full hit...he slide down my side as we both hit the groound kicking at each other...longer story  but shortened...I ended up looking like a bruised turd and sleeping in the cabain for 3 days straight....

• Like 2

I shot a buck out of a tree stand on town land that ran along a creek. I had a good chest hit and great blood. I knew I hit the deer good. It was a thick area and after I hit the buck it ran out of site within 40 yards. I was following good blood along the game trail right along the creek and lost the sign. There were deer prints in the bottom in the shallow water that just stopped a foot in. I was convinced the deer crossed or turned back on the creek trail. I looked that whole day up and down and even drove around to come in other side of creek and look all over there. Went back the next morning and looked some more and had about given up. I was hiking down the creek and I noticed an antler and just the top of a shoulder sticking out of the water in some deadfall. It was my buck, he died right at the creek fell over and floated probably a half mile down the creek. He was just fine as the water was in the 40s. Man that was a sonofabeech pulling up outa that creek and up the bank.

I had another in that spot that after I shot it crossed the creek and died on the run 10 yards from the back lawn of the local police station. Guess he was going for help!

That must have been wild to see the deer up in a stand!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I had a buck jump a hedge row and land on me ..I saw it coming with enough time to swing my browning up into my other hand to block his hitting my head...I was going down on my left knee trying to avoid the full hit...he slide down my side as we both hit the groound kicking at each other...longer story but shortened...I ended up looking like a bruised turd and sleeping in the cabain for 3 days straight....

I take it no shots were able to be had on your attacker?

Actually I did shoot from the hip, once we got untangled from rolling around in the snow kicking each other...I saw him digging in with his front legs trying to get away but didn't have his hind legs up under him yet...Now this is the DUMBEST thing I have ever done. I managed to get to my knees and opened fire at him...Oh ya and missed...the dumb thing...it wasn't until all said and done it occurred to me...my barrel could have been packed with snow and or dirt from the encounter...It wasn't an attack. He was running away from a group of hunter on the land below ours.....when he was half way over the hedge row. over my head he saw me and threw his head back...other wise I think he may have cleared me....Mr B heard the shots and my garbled cry on the walkie talkies..no cells back then...he came running down the hill calling out for me...he found me huddled up against and oak tree and seeing my condition started yelling are you shot are you shot?!!!...all I could get out between gasps was..." I wet my pants" ....The buck had literally kicked the pizz out of me...I think  Mr B's relief caused this..... but I don't think I have ever heard him laugh so hard....he helped me back to camp where I went to bed and didn't wake up fore dang near 18 hrs.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4

With all of us old timers on here we probably have a million stories, A few yrs back My son and I were in our stand on Public land, its was about 730 in the morning and we hear a shot about 500yds away, then this nice 8pt comes running through the woods and stops 10yds from our stand and lays down, he was bleeding from a high chest shot so I waited for the hunter to come finish him off but he never did, 30 min later I shot the deer. At 9am I went to find the hunter and he already left for the day. To date that had to be one of the crasziest hunts for my son and I.

• Like 1

At my hunting camp up north we drive certain portions of our woods.  One year we had all of our members there for the weekend (a rareity) and decided to do a decent sized drive.  We had 10 guys at the time so we devised what we thought was a fool proof plan.  4 drivers and 6 watchers.  All of the possible escape routes covered.  So we orchestrate the drive on our camp white board and decide who's sitting where and who's driving.  All in all it takes about 2 hours from start to finish.  Now mind you, when we drive deer we don't run through the woods making all kinds of noise we still hunt through the woods keeping the wind in favor of the watchers.  So I'm walking through the woods waiting for a shot at any moment...the drive goes on...and on...and on until I get to my watcher.  All of the drivers make it out and everyone heads back to camp.  It was a nice day out so when everyone made it back to camp we fired up the grill and we were all stading around talking about how we saw so much deer sign but nobody saw a deer, not even a tail.  Then all of a sudden 10-12 deer pop out of the woods about 150 yards diagonally across the road from our camp and run into our piece of woods we just pushed.  Everyone was shocked.  A couple guys grabbed guns and tried to cut them off but had no luck.  Amazing how you can do a drive and see nothing and then poof, deer!

• Like 3

With all of us old timers on here we probably have a million stories, A few yrs back My son and I were in our stand on Public land, its was about 730 in the morning and we hear a shot about 500yds away, then this nice 8pt comes running through the woods and stops 10yds from our stand and lays down, he was bleeding from a high chest shot so I waited for the hunter to come finish him off but he never did, 30 min later I shot the deer. At 9am I went to find the hunter and he already left for the day. To date that had to be one of the crasziest hunts for my son and I.

At least you got a nice 8 point out of it

My neighbor who was in his 60s at the time shot a nice buck, it went down and he went over to slit it throat and bleed it out (why idk it's his thing) problem was he hit the deer low and broke both its front legs as he raised its head to cut its throat it got up, using his legs as a crutches it plowed 50 yards thru the woods as he slashed it's throat an held on for dear life. I was coming up the road and saw my neighbor kind of stumbling soaked in blood walking dow. The hill assuming the worse I drove up the field to him where he told me that story, he hopped in back and I took him to his house to get cleaned up, almost giving his wife a heart attack when she saw him, we went up to retrieve his deer the pushed up leaves and blood everywhere was amazing!

Was and still is craziestthink I ever heard and saw results from, by the way he still bleeds his deer out and he just turned 80 this year! Crazy old man .....

Lol

• Like 3

I pride myself on shooting only mature deer.  I let tons of deer walk every year and I am ok if I don't fill my tag.  I only say this, because this one deer......my biggest regret......has a story that fits this thread.

I had a 2.5 year old 8 point on trail camera (most people would probably shoot, but I knew he was young and needed to grow).  I showed the picture to everyone at hunting camp the night before opening day and said DO NOT shoot this buck if you see him. 

Queue up opening morning and here comes that deer.  I recognized him immediately.  He was hot for a doe and started chasing her around in front of me.  45 minutes later, he was still in front of me.  I guess that was my threshold for not shooting a deer because for some reason I just couldn't stand him being in front of me any more.  I shoot.  I have never missed a deer.  I have never shot at a deer more than once.  And of ALL deer, one that I didn't even want to shoot, I spine this one.  He drops in his tracks and is thrashing with his head as his legs don't work.  I knew I spined him.  I got out of my stand and walk over to him.  I hunt with my muzzleloader, even during regular gun season.  I use powerbelts and pre-formed pellets.  I had 3 pre-loaded in a plastic "quick loads" that morning when I walked out.  The first one got loaded in my gun in my tree stand.  That left me 2 more.

As I walk up to this deer, my regret seeps in deeply.  In my mental lapse, as I attempt to load the second round in the muzzle, the pellets fall into the snow.  Disgusted and frustrated, I pull out my last "quick load" and drop it in the muzzle.  My mind not being focused, i never pushed the powerbelt down the barrel.  When I pulled the trigger, the powder went off with a boom and my bullet popped out of the end of the gun like a cork gun with a "pop" and bounced off the deer. The deer, now in full panic mode, desperately tries to do anything to get its legs to work.  I have no more shots left, so I am now digging the snow for the dropped pellets.  LUCKY I find them, load the gun properly, and put one last shot in him to finish him off.

Super embarrasing and ridiculous.  The deer serves as a reminder every time I am in a tree stand to not pull the tigger.  A small silver line if you will.

post-1540-0-29097300-1445524571_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I was out in colorado elk hunting last year when I noticed a hole in the side of the moudin I was waking along thinking to myself that looks like something would be living in there. All of a sudden I hear a angry growl and out sticks the head of a black bear damn near crapped my pants. I couldn't back out of there fast enough.

• Like 2

I was out in colorado elk hunting last year when I noticed a hole in the side of the moudin I was waking along thinking to myself that looks like something would be living in there. All of a sudden I hear a angry growl and out sticks the head of a black bear damn near crapped my pants. I couldn't back out of there fast enough.

If you had a tag ya could have shot it too! Add more animals to your hunt

One year the whole gang was at camp and the SIL had flown up from Alabama...her shot gun went "Missing" at the airport...So I lent her my browning and I barrowed one of the guys Ithicas both 20ga...Well the guys decided to drive to us girls my SIL went to gramps apple tree stand and I went to the beech / oaks to stand...I backed my self up into a group of young beech...When I heard a snap... I'm left handed...and just to my left and out about 40 yards stands 15 or so deer...WTH I had backed into these saplings and now I have to step out and swing to get off a shot. This with 30 eyeballsand ears to beat...Plus I'm concerned about where the drivers are...Well they start moving off father to my left and I make my move...I take one large step out as I shoulder the gun and turn...I had my eye on the biggest doe in the groups as I did...BANG...Holy cow it was like shooting the break in poole.... Deer going every which way!...I thought for sure I'd missed but some where headed back past me and toward the SIL...I took two shots basically at beech trees just to keep them going and still worried about where the guys were...WHY I Hate DRIVES!... Next thing I know I hear her shoot once... well I just stood there waiting for the guys and I'm really depressed...seriuosly upset..how could I have missed! they asked what happened and then SIL showed up...... said she had two big doe stop 100yrds out infront of her and she shot but both disappeared....now we were all out near the road for thats where we were on stand..road to our backs...we looked for blood and there was none...I felt like quiting right then and there...When the mail truck backed up and the mail man yelled out...Hey we have a dead deer here!...she never made it 50yrds and dropped in a ditch...It was the big doe I was aiming at...I looked at the SIL and said You best go look again...her and one of the guys went and they dragged back another big doe. That was my special dilivery deer...from what I told the guys and no blood where we had looked...we would never have gone that way and found her...SIL assumed that open site with a gun she had never used at 100yrds...no way she hit that doe...

• Like 5

One year the whole gang was at camp and the SIL had flown up from Alabama...her shot gun went "Missing" at the airport...So I lent her my browning and I barrowed one of the guys Ithicas both 20ga...Well the guys decided to drive to us girls my SIL went to gramps apple tree stand and I went to the beech / oaks to stand...I backed my self up into a group of young beech...When I heard a snap... I'm left handed...and just to my left and out about 40 yards stands 15 or so deer...WTH I had backed into these saplings and now I have to step out and swing to get off a shot. This with 30 eyeballsand ears to beat...Plus I'm concerned about where the drivers are...Well they start moving off father to my left and I make my move...I take one large step out as I shoulder the gun and turn...I had my eye on the biggest doe in the groups as I did...BANG...Holy cow it was like shooting the break in poole.... Deer going every which way!...I thought for sure I'd missed but some where headed back past me and toward the SIL...I took two shots basically at beech trees just to keep them going and still worried about where the guys were...WHY I Hate DRIVES!... Next thing I know I hear her shoot once... well I just stood there waiting for the guys and I'm really depressed...seriuosly upset..how could I have missed! they asked what happened and then SIL showed up...... said she had two big doe stop 100yrds out infront of her and she shot but both disappeared....now we were all out near the road for thats where we were on stand..road to our backs...we looked for blood and there was none...I felt like quiting right then and there...When the mail truck backed up and the mail man yelled out...Hey we have a dead deer here!...she never made it 50yrds and dropped in a ditch...It was the big doe I was aiming at...I looked at the SIL and said You best go look again...her and one of the guys went and they dragged back another big doe. That was my special dilivery deer...from what I told the guys and no blood where we had looked...we would never have gone that way and found her...SIL assumed that open site with a gun she had never used at 100yrds...no way she hit that doe...

Awesome....love this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

In 2003 I was bow hunting in IL and I shot a big buck.  The shot, I saw later, wasn't exactly perfect.  The buck took off after the shot and I waited about an hour before climbing down.  I looked for blood but it ran out quickly, so I followed his tracks in the dirt.  As I was staring at the ground I hear a deer take off from the wood line.  I look up and I see a big buck taking off across the field but he didn't seem right.

I had an idea of where he was headed so I ran to my truck and headed to where he was going.

As I'm driving up the road I see him cross a couple of hundred yards ahead of me.  When I get to where I can see him I pull off the road and watch him start to cross the field when he suddenly lays down.  I'm watching him through my binoculars and all of a sudden I see a doe come running across the field as she's being chased by a 140" class 8 pointer.  Both deer stop and look at my buck and all of a sudden he jumps up and chases off the 8 pointer.  He didn't go too far as he had bled out quite a bit by then.   He laid down again and finally expired after about 5-10 minutes.  Even in death the power of the rut took over.

• Like 5