Having second thoughts on the climber.......

zeus1gdsm

So I had my third climb today. Say for 3 hours. Plus the 30 minutes to get to a tree and 30 minutes to climb it and get setup.

I have the titan. Third hand accessory strap and stabilizer straps as well as the summit foot rest and bow holder...

Man is that alot of crap once you throw in the bow Xtra clothes etc....

I made the mistake tonight of having too many layers on... Didn't read the temp right apparently and was sweating balls by the time I hit the tree.... Shedding layers would have required taking off my harness. Ribs pack and binos.... Too much work so I just sweat it out.

So here are my issues.....

With all the doodads and gizmos it's takes a bit of time to setup.

The titan is huge and takes me from a regular size refrigerator to a stainless steel freezer. I'm a big guy 6'3 and 280 broad framed.... And the stand makes tight corridors and ducking branches that much harder. I feel like all the crap that goes along with the climber is more hassle then it's worth... ( even if the accessories are great once your all setup.)

Also having gotten lost in the woods once when I was younger. I carry more gear then most I'm guessing... In terms of being prepared to spend a night in the woods and stop an arrow or gunshot wound. A little excessive but nothing is worse than needing it and not having it. This = extra weight. On top of the stand...

I've found that even though I have the larger stand I still don't feel like there is alot of room. Which is of course a given in a climber. But it leads me to be paranoid about my movements.

The reason I got the stand is for hunting local public land and a friend's large plot along a swamp.. I envisioned being in the tree with nice fields of view.... And you get that in the tree... However there seem to be a ton of small branches in the way of every angle. Each tree I've climbed which looks good from the ground isn't that great once up. Such is life when u don't have time to get in and clear lanes. Both sets of woods are very dense. And there are no fields or clearings. I've stomped all over them over the last 2 years.

Now I'm rambling... In short I feel that the concept of the climber for me is better than it is actually working out in real life.... I feel I may be better to just stick with my hammock chair and pick up a collapsible wall blind. I'd have better field of view and more portability and less weight.

Or should I hold off and run the season with it? I've only used it 4 times. It's brand new.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I should add that in an attempt to shed weight I've ditched my nice hunting bag and switched to the ribs pack. I would much rather have just the backpack which makes hauling my gear and jacket much easier... But the bag seems very cumbersome in the stand.... In a fixed position stand it would be fine. But I'm not driving holes for hooks into every tree I climb just for my backpack. Doesn't seem right

I am a 2nd year climber and my speed of setup has decreased drastically I can get up to a tree and to desired height in just a few min it gets easier....as far as the movements and comfortability of it that should come too they really are quite stable once up...another thing I do is ratchet the top section to the tree...makes a hugggge difference....as far as the accessories I can't speak to them as I refuse to get any other than the upgraded carrying device and I'm gonna put some grip tape on the base as was mentioned in a thread I started...more crap to carry in is just that in my opinion...I have no problem using my drag rope to lift bow up tree and having bow in lap or if I remember a old screw in step screwed in to put bow on....it is harder to walk with it on no argument there that's the downfall imo but I'm gonna put a molle chest rig on it to ease the weight and awkwardness of it....hope that kinda helps

I wouldn't give up so soon on it I hunt lots of Stateland and it makes a huge difference good luck with decision

Edit....I put my backpack on before the climber so it helps pad my back and easier to carry...and then I put it under the seat by the tree and use the tail end of ratchet from the top to tie to bag just in case it falls lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006

Also... I'll be honest... I almost feel like I tried to buy a deer this year... It's only my second season... And I feel like I should maybe slow down and get to basics. Working the wind (which was in my favor all night luckily) still hunting and just in general get out more.

Being able to just walk in the woods with my backpack seat and blind strapped on weighing much less than the titan. Would afford me much more time hunting and less time setting up.

• Like 1

I have the molle strap pads and they are a million times better than the stock ones. Make it much more comfortable to carry.

I put my bag on the back of the stand while walking and pull the seat up to hold it in by hooking the seat top to the top of the stand near my head.

This trip I only used the ribs pack to try and eliminate so crap. I wrapped my jacket around the foot bungee and brought the seat up the same as I would for my backpack...

I use the single strap to secure the the top and combined with the stabilizers I lt feels as tight and secure as a ladderstand

• Like 1

give it time, you'll speed things up.......I actually pack the majority of my top layers and get dressed in the stand, you'll eventually get more comfortable. I carry bungee cords to put around the tree for by pack most of the time, there's other options other than putting screws in the tree. If I plan on hunting the same tree a few days in a row, the stand stays in the woods at the bottom of the tree at night.

Try still hunting, loose the seat and get a hot seat or foam pad to sit on.  The one I use is a foam pad that I can slip under the day pack so it does not move when I still hunt.  Much less gear and easy to pick a spot with good wind and a natural background to break up your outline.   The seat you have is great for sitting in some bushes to use as a ground blind.  Try it its fun and if you get a chance at a deer it is much more rewarding IMO.  Try to eliminate as much scent as possible. 

• Like 1

I have a foam pad. It's what I started with. With the hammock seat I can sit really low only a few inches off the ground. But with a wall blind like for turkey hunting I could sit a little higher and be more comfortable.....

I appreciate all the input guys. It's a tough call...

I got that uneasy feeling a few years back and have never been in a climber again.

I feel safe... Just don't know if the all the hassle is worth it....

Would there be much of a different in the used market if I sold it now or after the season? I can't imagine there would be... But I'm not up on my used climber market research.

Also... I'll be honest... I almost feel like I tried to buy a deer this year... It's only my second season... And I feel like I should maybe slow down and get to basics. Working the wind (which was in my favor all night luckily) still hunting and just in general get out more.

Being able to just walk in the woods with my backpack seat and blind strapped on weighing much less than the titan. Would afford me much more time hunting and less time setting up.

It can feel that way some times, but this is just a expensive sport that you chose, trust me you will get used to the climber. I can now set up and be up in the tree in under 5 min. I have a climber and 6 ladder stands and I feel no less comfortable in the climber at this point.... For a new hunter being in a tree will make your chances of getting a deer go way up..... I suggest go scout your buddy's place find a tree about 20 yards off of a deer run. Set the climber up there and don't movie it for a week or so and just hunt that one tree. Get to know the area, and makes slight adjustments as needed

• Like 1

I downsized say year and sold my big. cozy heavy climber for one about 5 pounds lighter. I carry a back pack hooked onto it. I can be up in a tree set up in 6-8 minutes. Sometimes it isn't fun hiking it way back in but in some situations, new land and public land it is a valuable tool. I have found few spots where being on the ground beats being up in the air. Especially during bow season.

It has nothing to do with still hunting you don't need any stand for that. Some/ most of my places are small and stand hunt only.

Just one tool of many. It's up to you what style hunting "does it" for you. I'd give it some more tries though. In certain circumstances a climber is invaluable.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

if the weight and effort of bringing the climber into the woods is the issue, why not just stash it in the woods. cable lock it to a tree near a landmark you can find.  make sure you use a combo lock (not key).   sometimes I leave heavy hunting cloth in the woods.  I also stash water or gateraid

I have about a 1/2 dozen hidden / buried under leaves /brush on NYC and state lands (Putnam / Dutchess).  never lost one since I've been hiding them (detached from tree).  Don't bright eye a trail to them...use a GPS to locate the approx. area if you need to..if you stashed it near a landmark (boulder / blow down), you'll find it again

in the spring you can buy used climbers real cheap.  stock up and place them at numerous locations

good luck

Edited by mmkay

Back before my kids were old enough to hunt with me I always used a Climber, I loved it. Shot many deer out of it! Instead of carrying it in and out of the woods all the time I would just leave it at the base of my tree and cover it up with pine tree limbs, nobody ever stole it in the woods, a few yrs back somebody stole it from my garage, hopefully they are using it to kill a huge deer!

Leave earlier so you're in no rush, carry a couple layers with you, get the molle straps, and keep moving around, you'll find the right tree or three and love that stand. If you were to sell it this is the time though, regular season is still a few weeks away. You'll lose $100 or more though but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

The thing about using climbers is you have to understand their limitations.   If you don't have time to prepare the area, as is the case with most climber setups, then yes you will frequently find your sight lines obstructed.   You need to be able to adjust the height on the fly.  If you don't get a good setup you need to climb higher or lower, or maybe go to a different nearby tree.  Yes you will make noise and can spook a good deer but on the other hand you will spend 4 hours sitting in a stand and when that buck does show up you won't be able to get a good shot.

A lot of people carry too much stuff, myself included when I was first starting out.   All those gizmos make things really convenient, but then you wind up humping 40lbs of gear on top of your regular outfit.   If it's something you don't use every time you're up there, you probably don't need it.  If it's made of metal, see if you can get a plastic or nylon substitute.  You're just as safe up there with a lightweight basic harness than with a heavy vest with metal buckles.   Metal hooks?  Try nylon straps.   

If you have a big and heavy climber, you will be more stable and comfortable.   But a lightweight climber is much easier to pack in and out, especially if you're in thick cover.  Every branch that snags your climber delays you and has a chance to damage something.

Like I mentioned in another thread and others in this one, I leave my heavy climber in the woods for the season.  If it gets stolen, oh well, it was cheap and I got my use out of it.   I cover it with leaves and branches and padlock it to a tree.  It's a good feeling to get to the climber in the morning all fresh and dry instead of being all worn out from carrying it.  And if I get to it and it's gone, then I'll still hunt back to my vehicle and grab the other climber :)

Edited by Black Bellamy

You and I are on the same page. This is my first year, though. I went on my first hunt on Oct 3. I've been out 10 (!) times since. I've been throwing time, and increasingly money at it and feeling slightly stupider as time goes on. Had my best luck the first day walking, though who knows how many deer are pressured away by now. Course some stuff I really did "need". Beyond the pack, clothes, bow, etc. I think the range finder is a reasonable essential, but that was a hundred. A stand of some sort is highly preferred among bow hunters, so you're out another $100-400 depending on the approach you need. I literally only have one more thing I "need" (I hope) and that is a pair of binoculars.

I also tried a stand for the first time a few days ago, but I hated it--was a hang on with sticks. I've since bought a climber, but not tried it yet. IMO if you want to sell yours do it in the next few weeks.

At first I carried a stool. Setup time was approximately 20 seconds and it was safe. However, setting up a stool next to a tree is tricky to be effectively covered. So a few times ago I put the stool next to a tree, cleared all the leaves from the ground, and leaned some branches up--enough to obscure me significantly but still give a view of things. I frankly don't know why I didn't try it again, and it can be supplemented with some cheap camo fabric.

I can pretty much say I refuse to carry a hangon with sticks in and out now, as I reasonably should given it is public land. All those bits of pieces hanging around, the harness attachment getting in the way as I wrap endless straps around the tree, even the stand I have has no back rest so is quite uncomfortable. It just removed all the fun I could possibly have otherwise had. I'm hoping that I can get the climber from ground to totally ready in about five minutes with some practice. I'm very good at figuring out processes and repeating them efficiently, so if it can be reasonably done in that time, I will be able to do it.