Would You Want This Rule?

Five Seasons

At 30 yards I group better with my bow then any of my handguns other then some 6 and 8 inch .22s.

I don't see a big deal, poachers poach no matter what the law says . They shoot deer now with rifles in bow season . I don't worry to much about a guy with a 3 inch open sight mouse gun.

A flopping spine shot deer an arrow or a .22 in the brain. Who cares.

Btw 30 some states allow handguns to be carried in bow season with no issues , and many bow hunters I know carry.

I didn't understand the original post to be limited to a "3 inch open sight mouse gun". In fact, I didn't see mention of handguns at all. The way it was worded was "firearm". That could include a scope sighted Thomson Contender or a 30-06 rifle ....right?

And in terms of the "poachers poach" comment, I guess I don't understand that one at all. Just because people break laws we should make everything legal?

And in terms of the "poachers poach" comment, I guess I don't understand that one at all. Just because people break laws we should make everything legal?

I think the poster meant they will poach no matter what, changing the law won't effect them.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Not that familiar with many other states. Can they use them to finish a deer during bow?

you need a cc permit in MS to carry during bow. You cannot finish a deer with one. You also would not have anyone bat an eye at a single 9mm shot during bow season. A few rifle cracks would get you some attention. But again, for as backwards as the south may be sometimes, there's a lot more common sense laws and self policing. The government doesn't feel the need to be in your business or to tax you if you wear an unapproved style of underwear like NY.

• Like 1

Yeah and in the South you can marry your cousin also. They use common sense?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

my property taxes are $1700 a year for a sub $300k house. My town has a nationally ranked 5 star public school. They can marry all the cousins they want. Enjoy your $7k+ a year taxes... and 7 round mags.

• Like 1

my property taxes are $1700 a year for a sub $300k house. My town has a nationally ranked 5 star public school. They can marry all the cousins they want. Enjoy your $7k+ a year taxes... and 7 round mags.

so far each supreme court including the 2nd circuit has ruled out the 7 round mags.  one more court up the ladder to put us at the top for the lawsuit.  10 rounds is here to stay with no less.  unless you're hunting.  so we've got that going for us.

I think the law would be abused. I think there would be a spike in hand gun sales for hunting and shoulder harnesses to carry them. We already have enough issues with poachers. Why make things easier for them? "Well Ranger Man, I shot the deer with my bow 10 minutes before sunset. I tracked him here and it was suffering so I put a .357 round through it's chest.".

No No No No. Did I say no?

I think the law would be abused. I think there would be a spike in hand gun sales for hunting and shoulder harnesses to carry them. We already have enough issues with poachers. Why make things easier for them? "Well Ranger Man, I shot the deer with my bow 10 minutes before sunset. I tracked him here and it was suffering so I put a .357 round through it's chest.".

No No No No. Did I say no?

Well, of course it would be abused. Whenever you make poaching easy, even people who otherwise might not break the law are suddenly tempted. I think there is enough law breaking and poaching going on without practically promoting it.

• Like 1

No, not really. There is no need to create any questions about whether the arrow was stuck in the deer by hand after it was shot with the gun. Right now there is no legal way that a deer taken in bow season can have an accompanying bullet hole in it. Let's keep it that way.

Not completely correct Doc.

A licensed tracker using a licensed dog (like Luna) has the authority to use a firearm to dispatch a wounded animal during any season if a) the accompanying hunter is unable(not with the tracker) or B) if it is after legal shooting hours and therefor the accompanying hunter cannot legally shoot the animal.

It is a special situation and only applies to licensed trackers.  I do not know it applies to licensed guides but I would not think so.

Sorry guys, don't know why my "b" followed by a close sign, like the "a)" is coming up as a smiley face, not intented.

Edited by Jaeger

Not completely correct Doc.

A licensed tracker using a licensed dog (like Luna) has the authority to use a firearm to dispatch a wounded animal during any season if a) the accompanying hunter is unable(not with the tracker) or B) if it is after legal shooting hours and therefor the accompanying hunter cannot legally shoot the animal.

It is a special situation and only applies to licensed trackers.  I do not know it applies to licensed guides but I would not think so.

Sorry guys, don't know why my "b" followed by a close sign, like the "a)" is coming up as a smiley face, not intented.

Right. I was talking about an average law enforcement situation where there are no special and rare circumstances (and can be cleared up by showing proper paperwork). If any hunter was to be caught with a bullet hole in their archery deer, the enforcement of the law would be a piece of cake. Either you show paperwork that proves a legal right or get ready for a hefty ticket. That is a law enforcement tool that I would not want to see go away.

• Like 1

Right. I was talking about an average law enforcement situation where there are no special and rare circumstances (and can be cleared up by showing proper paperwork). If any hunter was to be caught with a bullet hole in their archery deer, the enforcement of the law would be a piece of cake. Either you show paperwork that proves a legal right or get ready for a hefty ticket. That is a law enforcement tool that I would not want to see go away.

Completely agree.

I guess I didn't answer the original question in general.

No, I would not be in favor of allowing a firearm to finish off a game animal shot during a bow only season.  Like Doc said it creates too many problems for law enforcement and further it would be an easily used excuse for a poached animal.

I understand the ethical considerations and the desire to see a wounded animal dispatched but that has to be weighed against the possibility of abuse.  In my opinion, it would "open the floodgates" to poaching.

• Like 1