Pheasant hunters

jesse.james

As camo and bow's are tools use for deer, Bells are used for Dogs & Bird Hunters. Bells can be for a couple reasons, my reasons: Location of dog, dog on point Bell Stops, Different Bell tones can be heard at different distance's and on windy days, Some carry better than others. Beeper Collars are the Same Idea. My dog hunts Hard and ranges out a bit, I use a Bell & GPS on him. If I can't hear the Bell the GPS lets me Know if he is on Point by a tone. You know Guys that hunt should respect each other and the area where they hunt, and stick together. We know season's over Lap so be Mindful of that when you head out. With that being Said, do your HOMEWORK on the area your hunting. If I Bow Hunt a Pheasant release site I expect to Hear Dog Bells and See other people enjoying the hunt JMO.

Relax there sparky , down boy ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, what are you going to do? the woods are getting filled with all kinds of activity these day, and all these people have a perfectly legal right to be there. There definitely are days when the only thing that makes sense is to just write off the day and go home.

Wait until a group 20 or 30 hikers walk through laughing and shouting back an forth. Or an equally huge gang of mountain bikers go by making as much noise as humanly possible. And then you may get to pat somebody's turkey dog on the head when he runs up to you .... lol. And then there are the squirrel hunters that decide to plop down at the base of a tree 50 yards from your stand and blast off a shot or two every 15 minutes.

Yup, these people love their thing as much as we bowhunters love ours, and have a perfect right to enjoy their activities. What are you going to do. I can only satisfy myself knowing that most of my hunting life was spent in a time of less crowded land. Things certainly have changed. And those of us who count on a relatively undisturbed deer herd going through their daily patterns, are very frequently screwed up by all the other users of the land. That's just the way things are today. You can adapt or get out. That's the only two options.

• Like 1

Jaeger. I was kind of alluding to the point of if you know you're in a place where they stock pheasants why would you be hunting on a field edge? You know that people are going to be out there with their dogs. People aren't pheasant hunting in the middle of the woods. I deer hunt as well. So if I'm at a state land where they release pheasants I would not sit up on the field edge. I don't think I own the woods so I cant get mad at somebody for hunting. I actually think you could use that to your advantage. If you know where people are coming from with the dogs if you set up in the right spot you have pretty much a free dear Drive. Lol

Actually diplomat, I would hunt the field edge when pheasant hunting and sometimes 20-30 yards inside.

When hunting in a group we usually have someone on each edge of the field.  Pheasants are runners, they prefer to run before being forced to fly (which is why some say they can ruin a good pointing dog, need flushing dogs).

A dog will push the birds right out of the field and we get many crossing that 5-10 yard grassy gap between whatever is planted in the field and the woods, and believe me they know to run into the woods.

So, your right.  Set up in a good spot and let them drive deer to you, these deer wont be spooked just moved.

Remember bird hunting in a group is a loud, fun activity that is practiced differently than quiet deer hunting.

I had a good deer stalk spoiled down in the slide mountain area when a little old lady in white sneakers and walking stick came blasting past me on my stalk!  1/2 mile from the nearest trail and she never knew I was there!  Public land can be a trial at times!!  Glad to hear you're taking it in stride.

• Like 1

Pheasant hunters do those things.  It doesn't hinder their bird hunting.  

That is NOT true.

It may be true regarding private stockings by individuals, clubs, and commercial shooting preserves, but state pheasant programs are done right. Unless you are following the stocking truck, state released birds behave very much like our native ruffed grouse. If you make a lot of noise you might filter feed on some by-catch, but you are losing out. 

The fact that some released pheasant sometimes are easy, makes many people think they all are. Those are the guys that make one pass in light cover and go home. They remember a few easy encounters and if that doesn't happen they figure there are no birds around.

Another type may try a little harder, but because they are noisy and not alert, many birds run and/or flush without ever being seen. A few hunts like, that combined with conversations with the earlier type, and they too become convinced there are no birds around. 

Relax there sparky , down boy ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky did you even read what I wrote or why? The guy didn't understand the reason for bells, so I was very relaxed when I wrote why. So if your that thin skinned that you took as if I was upset than that's on you. Now when guys bird hunt they relax and enjoy the time in the field with others, its one of the few hunts one can talk. This reminds me of the people who go to a Bar and get pissed they smell smoke or hear foul language LOL

Actually diplomat, I would hunt the field edge when pheasant hunting and sometimes 20-30 yards inside.

When hunting in a group we usually have someone on each edge of the field. Pheasants are runners, they prefer to run before being forced to fly (which is why some say they can ruin a good pointing dog, need flushing dogs).

A dog will push the birds right out of the field and we get many crossing that 5-10 yard grassy gap between whatever is planted in the field and the woods, and believe me they know to run into the woods.

So, your right. Set up in a good spot and let them drive deer to you, these deer wont be spooked just moved.

Remember bird hunting in a group is a loud, fun activity that is practiced differently than quiet deer hunting.

I had a good deer stalk spoiled down in the slide mountain area when a little old lady in white sneakers and walking stick came blasting past me on my stalk! 1/2 mile from the nearest trail and she never knew I was there! Public land can be a trial at times!! Glad to hear you're taking it in stride.

Idk if you misunderstood what I wrote or im misunderstanding you. But yeah, i agree with what your saying. When im bird hunting i hit the fields and then the edges, about 30-40 yards in just like you. I was saying if you are going to deer hunt, you should avoid the edges since you have to assume people pheasant hunting will be there with there dogs. I wouod get deeper into the woods for deer ans let bird hunters push them back to you. Anyway we are both on the same page now.

And ive had too many runners this year. Dog goes on point. Then has to keep relocating. And before you know it the bird is flushing far off. I have. 2 1/2 year old gsp.

Well, believe it or not, talking spooks phez, including state stocked phez. Besides that, I don't need my dogs multi-tasking. When they hear my voice they pay attention, as they should, I don't want them preoccupied with me chattering. When other hunters talk loud or excessively, they are a distraction to the dogs as well.

However, my biggest annoyance is not other pheasant hunters, its those target shooters. 

The OP is not all wrong, I agree with him to a point. But, this is where the agreement ends - if I am going to set up for waterfowl in a pheasant stocking area, I expect interference. Deer hunting is not the holly grail and anyone who sets up in a PS area, including deer hunters, needs to be realistic. I would also argue that the deer hunter has far more public  places to go than anyone else. You should familiarize yourself with the area you will be hunting as well, there is no excuse for not knowing it was a stocking area. Bigger issues than a blown hunt can happen if you don't know your area.  

Being fair, I have felt embarrassed by a few pheasant hunters over the years. Embarrassed or annoyed.

One time, I was set up for waterfowl, so as I already said, I expected to be inconvenienced. On this occasion a group walked right through my decoys which were set on land.... That is a tad stupid I would say.... True story.

While phez hunting I have seen a few guys get greedy too - they hunt like they drive in the southern tier and downstate. Most memorable example was another occasion I was duck hunting. Being in camo, I step out of the cover so an  oncoming phez hunter can see me to prevent him from shooting in my direction should he flush a bird. What does this guy do? He apparently was greedy and thought I was phez hunting, because he walks faster and cuts in front of me. I was standing in waist deep water in waders, and now, so was he minus waders....   Also a true story. 

Edited by mike rossi

Stocked pheasants don't stay where they are put.  I have found them 1.5 miles from the stocked fields.

Took one in a stand of small pine trees once.

I have flushed one from a field edge right into the forest across the road.

Now if there are areas that have assigned parking for the section of land, you would think they would be more aware that someone else is out there.

I was on a footbridge to access a pheasant field on Sunday, less then 30 seconds later 2 mountain bikers crossed the bridge going the opposite way I just did.  Before that 2 horses and a burrow walked past my parked car.  While the weather is still nice, you just have to deal with some of it a bit more.

Sometimes seeing some else is a good thing,  I have assisted lost bikers before while turkey hunting, they lost the riding trail.

Had experienced the reverse too, compass got re-magnetized.

Edited by Two Track