Is my setup heavy enough for a Bison?

Skillet

After talking with my buddy (the owner), he encouraged me to use the compound. I was shooting well before the hunt, & felt confident. Took awhile, but got a 17 yard shot. Double lung, pass thru. Dead very quickly! Had a great time. We were shocked that it passed through. I was very hesitant, but it this was a real testament to shot placement.

post-1188-0-16667400-1446239411_thumb.jp

post-1188-0-77113500-1446239443_thumb.jp

• Like 11

I struggle to see how shooting a farm animal is considered "hunting", but nice job. Lots of high quality meat right there.

I specifically requested the thread not become a debate on high fence. I was simply looking for input on my equipment.

I've always wanted to shoot one with my bow. The opportunity came along, so I took it. I'm not trying to portray it as something it wasn't.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 6

Skillet, Did the owner know how old that Buff is? nice animal but in all honesty I expected it to look bigger? Any idea on how much it weighed on the hoof?

It was a 2.5yr old cow. Not too big as far as bison go. Around 1,000lbs. He said the truly big bulls are only good for burger.

Edited by Skillet

I specifically requested the thread not become a debate on high fence. I was simply looking for input on my equipment.

I've always wanted to shoot one with my bow. The opportunity came along, so I took it. I'm not trying to portray it as something it wasn't.

No debate needed here.  I'm always amazed at the size of those things when you get close to them.  Do you need to pay extra if you want to keep the meat too?   

No debate needed here. I'm always amazed at the size of those things when you get close to them. Do you need to pay extra if you want to keep the meat too?

If you wanted to keep the meat, it would be significantly more expensive than keeping only the head / hide. Even the head / hide option, would be out of my reach. I was just lucky to have a friend nice enough to give me this opportunity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I guess this probably belongs in the taxidermy thread, but didn't want to start a new thread. I got the skull back from the beetle guy. He did a great job. Was it a real hunt? not really. I'm still happy to have done it though, & I think it's going to look cool on the wall at camp.

post-1188-0-78934900-1451574586_thumb.jp

post-1188-0-59925800-1451574647_thumb.jp

• Like 2