Winning a Fenced Hunt

Santamour123

If you won a fenced hunt at an event (No expence to you would you go?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. If you won a fenced hunt at an event (No expence to you would you go?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not talk about the hunt

So you are saying that you would not hunt seneca and think that anyone that ever does is hunting a canned hunt? ??? ??

Sorry but I'm not familiar with Seneca's layout however I will go out on a limb and say there is vast acreage there and its fenced? So if it is fenced then in MY opinion I would not consider that hunting and harvesting a white deer really doesn't get me excited. I just cant see hunting in a fenced area irregardless of its size, because I know the fence is there its just something about it that doesnt sit well with me.

10 acres, 10,000 or 20,000 acres for me theres no difference, if its fenced I dont consider that hunting....period. How can anyone try to justify hunting on a fenced property just because its larger in acreage, I just dont get it? ???

I suppose you won't fish for brookies in a beaver pond either.  There are several area's that aren't fenced but might as well be.  A bunch of islands are quite smaller than 10,000 acres.  People hunt these naturally fence areas and considered "fair chase" hunting areas.  A deer can't leave these islands without swimming for miles.  I'm not trying to justify buying a hunt on a game preserve or advocating their deer as entries into big buck clubs.  I'm saying that a hunter shouldn't be ridiculed if he took a free hunt on the game preserve.  Especially if it has no effect of their wild state.  10,000 or 20,000 fenced acres won't change their behavior.

This debate can also venture into the baited deer hunts, or bear over bait, which is commonly offered in Maine or Canada.

Do you consider hunting over bait a "canned" hunt ?

They sell deer feed in every hunting store out of state.

or is a 10000 acre roaming deer hunt more ethical than a baited hunt.

I hunt 5000 acres of state land.  I maybe see 200 acres of it.

It's personal perference, and there is no right or wrong answer.

If I wanted venison during the off season, I can "hunt" an exotic doe for $400 upstate.

As the one who posed the question I think an answer is due. I think I have to go with Bubba on this one.

Years ago my friend went on one of these hunts. He came back with a boar, some type of exotic deer and a whitetail. It cost him thousands to harvest these deer. This goes back 15 years. He said they put you in real close a take your pick, shooter be warned that the bigger rack cost more money. I would donate the hunt.

I agree it would be determined by the size of the acrage.  10,000 + I would probably go. But smaller would prabably be donated to someone to raffle. I think I would also consider many factors, such as if you can walk in and ring a dinner bell and they come running. or if it is fenced to try to manage their own heard.

You guys are missing the point of the question. you won it, it's free. I would say hell yeah. Pet the deer and then shoot them. When I was a kid we had chickens and Rabbits and cows we did this with so I have no problem with killing farm animals. They are nothing more than farm animals and expensive ones at that.Not something I would pay to do but if its free im in. What I have a problem with is calling it hunting. A 4 pointer killed on state land is more of a trophy than a 190 class buck killed behind a 500 acre fence. It just has to be called what it is a fenced hunt not a fair chase hunt.

First things first, I would never enter a chance to win this fenced hunt. If it was just given away to someone who attended an event that would be different but I still would not go on it. I have plenty of (unfenced)areas to hunt and don't need to go somewhere with a fence. I would try to find someone who was disabled and could not go out and scout and do the things necessary to be successful and I would give it to them. I would however ask if I could video the hunt so I could have a memory of the happy disabled hunter.

being 15, depending on what kind of animal i might just for the hell of it. or i would probably give it to my little nephew whos dad died who was my brother inlaw not to long ago from a drug OD. My sister and him were broken up but not devorced and we had a hard time explaining to the little 4 year old that he cant see his dad anymore. He came over to my house the night of the funeral to stay for the night and he spotted my dads 5 point skull and horns on my wall that my dad gave me and was AMAZED by it so i gave them to him and his eyes lite right up. I would probably give the hunt to him and go to experience it with him. The smile of that little boy when we watch hunting videos is what keeps me going everyday.

RIP Adam Moore. Gone but never forgotten.      FOREVER YOUNG