Strangest thing you have seen/ have had happen while hunting

ApexerER

Of course chickadees landing on my shooting rail and barrel of shotgun.

Saw a big eared owl land in a grape thicket 20 or so feet in front of me while I was spring turkey hunting. A bluejay came in silently and landed very near to owl, bluejay squawked and the owl literally jumped.

Not hunting but while hiking out in ASP out far into the trails we came across about 15-20 different bras strapped to trees. I should have checked the cup sizes to see if different women :rolleyes:

Cow tracks on the trail I take into my stand. With red lens flashlight I thought "holy crap " there's a moose that came down from Maine here. Later in week I found hole in fence the escapee must have come thru

Years ago I was ml hunting. Lone deer comes thru the apple trees. A lone doe I think. A little snow on it's head from recent snow. I shoot, smoke clears. Deer runs about 30 yards. I grab knife to field dress it. Flip it over.  I yell out loud, "this doe has balls!"  Yup, buck that dropped horns already.

• Like 1

Turkeys do seem especially dumb sometimes.   I remember cultivating corn on the far corner of our farm early in the summer before the hay was cut.   When I finished and began to drive back, a big, ugly hen jumped out of the hay about 5 feet in front of me.   Rather than just jumping back into the tall hay, she stayed right on the narrow, mowed lane for close to 1000 yards.   She managed to stay just far enough ahead of the slightly clumsier tractor to make her escape when we finally reached a clearing.  That was definitely the most non-graceful run I have ever witnessed by any living thing.         

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

back in the 70s we were hunting the Great Bear Swamp,near New Hope, when we came upon a area littered with cow skeletons. the were green and moldering, soft to touch, and all appeared to be intact- that is, not butchered, as if the animals were led there and shot. Spooky.

I used to have a cock pheasant follow me to my hunting stand every afternoon I hunted.

Probably the strangest / most exciting happened as I was getting out of a stand, (Canadian spring bear hunt).

It was about pitch black, and as I was just starting down the ladder a bear rushed the stand through the brush, gnashing its teeth and wumphing to beat the band. I was up in that stand with my gun reloaded faster than you can blink!

It never came into view although it was quite close, and was tearing up the brush and continuing to growl and chomp, eventually slowly walking away, making the world miserable as it went. Although it seemed a lot longer, after about 10 minutes it had moved out of earshot, and I boogied out of there!

My guide was convinced that in the dark it thought I was a competing bear, thus all the show. He insisted I go back the next a.m. very early to catch it feeding at first light. I didn't sleep at all that night...that was one walk in the dark I didn't want to make! I never did see it.

• Like 1

This is a funny thing to me that happened.  Was hunting squirrels and grouse on a friends posted land.

Beautiful fall day, clear and sunny . i always walk a foot trail and still hunt these varmints. In this area I have always seen grays and taken some grouse.

The trail is slightly inclined and lots of open trees . you could see real good.Also on either side of the trail there is brushy stuff. In places it is hard to walk through.

Before I type what happened, I would like to say from hunting these birds I have learned that these grouse are real smart. but being smart got this bird killed.

While still hunting slowly up this trail, my lower bowel told me it had to take a dump or number 2.  So I figured it was best to get off the trail a ways to do my duty.

i turned right off the trail and went in a ( little) ways where I found a appropriate spot to squat. I dropped my pants and boxers, set my Moosberg 500 pump 12 ga shotgun on

the ground next to me  I no sooner got into the push mode when a grouse flew across the trail that i had just left right into my face. scared the hell out of me.The grouse flared and I swung my arms up startled. The bird flashed over me and went down on the ground fast walking through the brush behind me. still in a squat position , I picked up my 12ga pump and let him have it with a head shot. Grouse will do this quite often. you walk by them and sometimes they quietly follow behind you .Oh , I did not fall backwards into the el- crappo.