Aynone have an ATV accident ?

I was heading uphill to my son's property in Italy Valley . My wife was on the back behind me . I have a basket that I had a cooler and a bunch of stuff in .... Not being use to riding an ATV , I hadn't used my head . We were wearing helmets . As we were going up the steep hill we had to ride over several water bars . My wife slid back and the front end went up in the air . The ATV was resting on the rear wheels and basket . I hit the kill switch ,had my wife get off and then I got off . Pulled the front end down , restarted the machine and went the rest of the way as it got flatter . If the basket hadn't been there , the machine would have been on top of us .

I learned a lesson that day ------ don't overload the back end when traveling uphill . Have some weight on the front !

Memorial day weekend we were in Waldon, and the guy in front of us took a header when trying to down a steep incline on an angle.... He was OK, but the ATV was hammered, had to winch him up.  It must have flipped at least 10 or 15 times, everything was bent.

had 3..

neither were with my quad..

1st was about 7 years back , hunting season , took it to the tree stand at the top of the mountain ... 10 minute ride.. while traversing east to west on a steep mountain side ridge, the bike was topheavy on the incline and started to roll.. instead of bailing uphill , i tried to muscle it back level but it was way too late... the quad flipped and caught me underneath it... the handlebar on the right somehow managed to get into my collar area  and then dug itself into the dirt taking me and my jacket with it.. it whipped me down with it....... so here i am top of the mountain , 5 am.. dark.. under a quad.... ..can you say panic attack ??  ... took a minute or two to get myself together and  to free up my jacket but by then , the carbureated bike on top of me was dripping gasoline on my chest.... to this day i still dont know how i did it , but i actually pushed the bike off of me in a benchpress like push and was able to get out from under it..  i think it was adrenelin..

bike wasnt really damaged.. just a cracked headlight unit..

learned my lesson.

second accident was at a neighbors farm... he had a hugh field of high grass approximatly 1000 yards by 1000 yards ... rough estimate... all flat.. .. out of the 1000000 square yards, i found the only dried out pond at about 25 mph...  i was just driving and the bike kinda just fell from beneath me.. .. i flew off it and tumbled head over feet ... literally a hole just appeared from no where.. and the weird thing was , the grass in the hole grew even with the grass around the hole so it looked perfectly even... it was like a mini cliff in the field.. bike was mangled.. broken front all around... .. the hole depth was about 5 ft... similar to a meteor indentation... .dont know what it was doing there.. farmer had no clue either... ...

i was busted up for about 2 weeks.. sore..

3rd.. was last nov..

at same prop in gilboa on a incline mountain traveling east to west again, but much slower.. .almost in a weird way, too slow.. i just felt the bike coming up on the uphill side but instead of trying to save it, i just bailed from the up side and watched it slow roll upside down..

this was my bike, the 1st two accidents a few years back werent.. they were my friends...

thankkfully , his bike was only about 400lbs.. I was able to get it off of me when it came on top of me...

my quad is about almost 700lbs.. .. ide propably still be under it if i had my quad back then....

so anyhow , it slow rolled and soft landed itself rightside up only to be stopped by a sapling ... .. had it not been there,.,, ,straight run down the steep mountain... ... bike was totally fine,, only about a 1/4 inch scratch on top of upper headlight unit.. other than that.. still brand new

Except for the last few years, Ive been riding ATVs and dirtbikes since I was a kid. I raced them a bit in my younger years as well. Ive had too many accidents to count. Everything from tipping them over to having them roll over me while attempting hill climbs to coming off of them in the middle of a jump and having them land on me. Its all part of the game. My 6 year old daughter rides as well and she had an accident the first year she rode. Tipped it over going to fast around a corner and gave herself a good bloody nose and bruise on the face. She still enjoys it and knows that bumps and bruises come with the territory.

I go slow in the woods first gear slow. A couple of times I've had an oppurtunity to lay it on its side. Only thing hurt was my pride and a few scratches. Like I said its mostly used to set treestands before season and to carry out deer. And ice fishing donuts on smooth ice are a blast.

I had a snowmobile accident ...... does that count?

Back in my young and foolish days when we first moved onto our property, we used to heat with wood. At the same time, there was a sugar-bush that I was thinning out on top of the hill, so I figured that all those approx 6"-8" diameter maple logs would make good firewood if I could get them down to the house. So I figured I could use the snomobile. -No ATV's at the time-.

So I got a heavy rope (about a 1" nylon rope) and bundled up about 3 or 4 at a time and skidded them down the hill to be cut up at the house.

Well, the snow was pretty deep, and that was no problem while I was coming down the hill, but I figured I had better get up some speed when I got down off the hill to the flat parts. Here's where things got a bit nasty....lol. I started really moving out, and had to turn a sharp corner right at the bottom. I had a bit too much rope out behind and the logs rolled way out sideways and hooked behind a tree. Everything came to an absolute instant stop ....... except for me, the plastic windshield and the handle bars. I found myself laying about 5' in front of the machine, laying on top of the windshield and the handlebars still attached to the snowmobile only by the cables. I had busted that tubing that the handlebars attach to. No, I wasn't hurt other than for my pride. The language wasn't to pretty either. I had to disconnect the logs (no, the rope didn't break) and then rotate the skis by hand. walking alongside holding the handlebars to run the throttle I would move the machine ahead until I had to manually turn the skis then move ahead again. I did that all the way home. Then I had to go those last few yards up to the house with my wife standing on the front step doubled over laughing at me. It wasn't one of my better days (or one of my better ideas).

I welded up the handlebars and got everything working again, but I never did pull firewood off the hill again with the snowmobile. Yes, and as far as the original load is concerned ..... The damned logs might still be laying over there as far as I know.

Doc

• Like 1

First ...my husband drove to the edge of the woods to give me a ride back to camp...I was on the back...holding my unloaded gun in one hand and his waste in the other...he hit a bump and accidentally the gas as well doing a wheely ..I slide off the back burying the barrel of my gun in snow and mud and the tire of the 4 wheeler grabbed my rt pac boot and shredded it like it had gone thru a paper shredder...lucky it left my foot first...

The second was in my drive...and home alone...we have a near vertical embankment lining the drive way...the 4 wheeler was in the drive and I went to move it...backing up... the throttle stuck and I... in a panic ...gunned it more...up the embankment backwards I went and it flashed through my mind I'd go end over end...killing my self ...I yanked the bars and turned it side ways... then with all my might lunged off the side off the machine in a face dive across the stone drive...the second I stopped I rolled but not quick enough because the  Suzuki was rolling on me...I managed to get my rt leg up and as it landed on my left shin bone I kicked out with my rt leg keeping it from rollin onto my hips....I gave it another heave and freed my lft leg and rolled away as it landed upside down next to me leaking gas...I managed to crawl to the house and call for help....my leg looked pretty bad for a long time and I to this day Istill have and lrg indentation where the back rack hit it...my husbands friend was the first to show...nearly panicked when he saw it...the year before I'd been bed ridden for 3 mos with a very bad break in the same leg...I refused to go to the hospital for this one...it eventually healed. :P

• 3 weeks later...

I've had ATV's for years (25 to be exact) and never had an accident with one, but that doesn't fool me into thinking they are the safest thing in the world. I have had occasions where they got a bit squirrelly on me and I know that if I had been going any significant speed, it might have gotten messy. One of the problems is that people see these ATV races on TV or watch the advertisements and think they can go like hell with them. It really doesn't take a whole lot to get them bouncing like hell. They do flip over backward relatively easily, especially with passengers. I have also found out that on very steep grades and with fresh leaves piled on the ground, they will lose traction and slide down the hill like a bobsled.

Used very carefully, there's probably nothing bad that's going to happen. But they are not a toy!

Doc

• 2 months later...

I have been riding 3 Wheelers, 4 wheelers and dirt bikes since I was 7 years old. I have wrecked on more times then I can count. One time on a 3 wheelers I was zooming down a field hit a bum that was like a ramp, landed fine, until the tire blew off the rim, the rim dug in the ground and flipped me over, I hit the ground so hard on my chest that my helmet came off and it was still straped tight. Most of the time, I was messinf around when I have crashed. Now I am alot older and some what wiser, and don't mess around much on the machines.

A few bad instances,but not on 4 wheelers. Mostly 3 wheelers and dirtbikes. I've got a lot to live for so I have toned it down a whole lot. But just like any motorized thing we use. There is always a chance of an accident. I just maximize the risk no mo!

• 1 month later...

I rolled a 2002 Foreman 2x in 1 night on the ice with friends.We were running back and forth on the lake and when we would get to the end,we would turn around and BS,have a cig and some beverage and run back again. Well I did a power slide and hit an awger hole which flipped me on my side...the machine on my ankle and a head bounced off the ice (with helmet). Fkipped it back up and went on with life. The next time it happened,I was going much faster and same thing happened...only this time,it slammed me hard enough to taste blood in my mouth and they said when it went airbourne,it came down ontop of me. They helped me up and uprighted the machine which was upside down. I was hurting bad and called it a night. Ran the machine back to the house where my wife and daughter had to help me get some clothing off so I could see if any ribs were sticking out. Had broken ribs and a valuable lesson taught to me that night. And a few weeks of major pain. Never did it again .  On another accasion,was on a ride and had a front tire dig in an a steep hill with a curv,was thrown from the machine and turned to see it rolling down the hill at me. No time to move so I placed my hands under my chest,best that I could,so I wouldn't get broken hands etc..the dang thing rolled over me from feet to head. The lower back got it real good that time....thought it was broken and was scared to move...but my hands were safe! LOL...helmet was on as well,or my head would have had 600lbs rolling over it. Finally rolled over slowly and wiggled me toes and had movement. After a while,I was slowly able to get up and go to the quad and still don't know how I got on it,but it was sitting there,running and waiting. Caught up with my friends as they were coming back to see where I was. I told them what happened and they said we would go very easy back home. I since sold it,but plan on a SxS in the near future. I'm in my mid to upper 40's and not a wild man on machines as they cost too much to abuse.....but it happens fast. Not a toy. If I had no helmet on either time,I might not be here to tell about it. Wear your helmets.