Black cloud

dmay4

Well I hate to admit how many years it's been since I came home with one of those brown 4 legged animals. I am not looking for the big one would gladly just get the average doe. I spend countless hours in woods, tried the scent stuff, scout ect. I see plenty of deer just not a shot. I see plenty during bow just not a shot then see plenty during gun just not a shot. Really want to buy a new rifle but guessing why and how do I convince the wife lol. It's sure a good thing I enjoy being out doors so much or may just get discouraged I hunt to be outside spend time with kid first then deer second !! Well two weeks left gonna burn up all vaca and sick time if I have to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In stand scouted a lot put stands near high traffic areas list seems they always move take diff spot. Father put me in stand on another busy trail and two just yesterday passed just over ridge (not on trail) where I couldn't get a shot. If this season comes up empty think I'm gonna invest in a couple trial cams instead of rifle

If you're seeing deer but not getting shots id suggest spending more time pre-season trimming lanes and putting in more stands. Perhaps making runs.

Too many people throw money at hunting. Believing the latest gizmo or gadget will cure their woes. Nothing beats boots on the ground. Spend the money on stuff to keep you warm and in the woods.

• Like 4

That's been my exact thought lately been spending much more time in stand this year

Not a big fan of the latest gadgets normally but our area just approved use of rifles but not bringing home the deer have a hard time justifying the purchase.

Got a good hard 5-6 days left this season and believe me not fussy lol

I am in the same boat. What makes it worse is since I have decided to hunt and do everything on my own I have not gotten one.

This year i was somewhere new and in the woods. I did not do any work this year at all, only approved the tree for my stand.

I know I have learned a few things and plan on learning more there and cleaning some stuff up.

Season not over so good luck.

• Like 1

If you have a place to hunt where you see deer regularly, your problem is more than half solved! Are you moving too much on stand and being busted before they get close? Are you paying close attention to the wind, so they don't smell you before they get to you? Are you overhunting the same stands? Are there branches around your set up to break up your outline? Ask yourself these questions, make adjustments where needed, and I think you will solve the other half of the problem. Best of luck to you out there!

• Like 2

I am in the same boat. What makes it worse is since I have decided to hunt and do everything on my own I have not gotten one.

This year i was somewhere new and in the woods. I did not do any work this year at all, only approved the tree for my stand.

I know I have learned a few things and plan on learning more there and cleaning some stuff up.

Season not over so good luck.

Same to you

Opening day really burned me plenty of deer running around I posted land for neighbor farmer and he assured me I would be only one in certain area only to find a multitude of other running around along with a 4x4 right by my stand. Not making excuses just frustrating lol

Same to you

Opening day really burned me plenty of deer running around I posted land for neighbor farmer and he assured me I would be only one in certain area only to find a multitude of other running around along with a 4x4 right by my stand. Not making excuses just frustrating lol

Maybe a chat with the neighbor. They may be trespassing and need some assistance in getting off or getting the law involved.

Adjust your stands around a bit to put you where you need to be.

That's been my exact thought lately been spending much more time in stand this year

Not a big fan of the latest gadgets normally but our area just approved use of rifles but not bringing home the deer have a hard time justifying the purchase.

Got a good hard 5-6 days left this season and believe me not fussy lol

gadgets are one thing. guns are another. never a bad reason to pick up a new gun! :)

I haven't shot a NY deer yet - seen them before hours, after hours, or the one direction that is not safe to shoot.

2 years ago almost got one on the way home, if i swerved right instead of left would hit one.

I have had them in my yard in town while I was out hunting.

Opening day saw nothing, heard 8 shots all day.  So next day went to a different piece of State land - very crowded, people were leaving early.  Had two does come in behind me on the right - while I was sitting on the ground, back to a tree - impossible to shoot for a right-hander. 

On the third day, had 4 turkeys walk right to me in the same exact spot.  I was wearing a blaze orange coat, so they had to see me there - standing 15 yards from them.

This past Sunday found a few tracks on the way out in the fresh mud.  Didn't notice those on the way in.

It was very quiet, few shots, even from the bird hunters as I saw their trucks with occupied dog boxes.

Full moon making them more nocturnal, less deer, hiding out on surrounding posted private lands - or all of the above?

This sounds like my story exactly. As a kid shot many deer have spent countless hours with father who is an avid hunter of 50+!years also some well know whitetail experts in NYS I will admit I am not by any means an expert hunter obviously but also not something I just started. just seems I am not in the right place at right time.

Oh well I will continue to keep scouting l, sitting, being outdoors and most of all spending time with kid so will most deff enjoy

Good luck two track

Doing the same thing over and over that does not work can lead to frustration.  Try changing up your game a little bit.  Go in early enough to let the woods settle and hunt all day until dark.  Keep at it the second rut is just starting and should be good this week and next.  The fact that you are seeing deer is a good sign you just have to be in the right spot at the right time and make sure your clothes are as scent free as possible. 

After the season make some trails for the deer to follow that block off some spots and funnel them into your shooting lanes.  It will make your stand much more enjoyable and successful.

Good luck and keep at it you will connect eventually!

The best hunters have one thing in common, persistence!  Don't give up and enjoy your time outdoors!

• Like 2