Ozonics

BBDEric

I don't want to lug one around and see faults to them (ground scent, continual readjustment, output being insufficient) BUT will say I use a smaller one for my hunting clothes and it definitely makes them smell fresh if I don't have the time or temps to wash something between hunts. Had a sick dog stink up a portion of our basement- ran this thing for 30 minutes and one of my least favorite easy to notice smells was long gone.

Plausible effectiveness at best in my opinion but then again I wouldn't post a tactic inquiry on this forum either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Long time lurker, love to follow the season through posts but never sat down and registered...till now.  Not sure why this topic made me decide to jump in, but it did.

Ozonics is expensive, I get it, but I don't know of anyone who has actually tried it and said it doesn't work.  I love reading posts when people say to practice great scent control and that's the best you can do.  Even funnier when people say that their scent control works most of the time when adding sprays, etc.  Unless you can stop breathing for the duration of the time you are on the stand, and manage to cover every square inch of skin on your body, you aren't going to fool a deer very often.  Sorry, but that is the way it is.  The bets luck I ever had with this is covering my hunting clothes un raccoon urine, which was fine when hunting with the college buddies, but coming home with that odor does not impress my wife. Deer have incredible senses and we certainly can improve the amount of scent we put off, but eliminate it?  No way. Sorry, anyone that says differently is fooling themselves.  This includes Ozonics.  Winds shift when you use it, and it puts off a different smell that may not scare deer, but it certainly makes them aware that something new they are not familiar with is in the area.  In my experiences that is enough to make mature deer nervous.

That said, it works better than anything else I have seen, and I would say that 80% of the deer that are downwind of me with the Ozonics on will pass by, even if they seem a bit nervous.  The best part is that almost never do they flip out and take off like they do when the unit is not on.  Say what you want, but if you say it doesn't work or its a waste of money, then I say you have not tried it...and you certainly don't have to.  However, the poster asked if it worked, and I assume he was looking for someone who has used one for input. 

Long term exposure to ozone melts plastic and rubber from what I understand.  That is scary, but from most research I have seen this unit used in open ventilated area does not produce harmful levels.

Extra to carry, setup, manage battery levels.  Yep it takes more effort.  Hunt with one though and you may find it worth it.  Still not a cure all in my opinion, but it is a major advantage to extend the length of stand sites and let deer pass that might otherwise ruin your hunt.  I carry in video equipment on all my hunts, so I have a heavy pack for sure, but I can tell you I feel a lot more secure in the tree concerning downwind deer with the Ozonics on.

Lastly, regarding the TV deer that are unpressured and calm, wish I hunted an area like that. However, I bow hunt through the gun season in the northern zone, and man are the deer skittish up here after the guns start blazing away.  If this unit helps me keep a few more deer unaware of my presence, allows me closer proximity to them, instead of seeing tails at the slightest hint of human presence, then personally it might be worth the investment. It is certainly not a necessity however.

Sorry for the long first post, but I wanted to provide a different viewpoint. 

• Like 4

Long time lurker, love to follow the season through posts but never sat down and registered...till now. Not sure why this topic made me decide to jump in, but it did.

Ozonics is expensive, I get it, but I don't know of anyone who has actually tried it and said it doesn't work. I love reading posts when people say to practice great scent control and that's the best you can do. Even funnier when people say that their scent control works most of the time when adding sprays, etc. Unless you can stop breathing for the duration of the time you are on the stand, and manage to cover every square inch of skin on your body, you aren't going to fool a deer very often. Sorry, but that is the way it is. The bets luck I ever had with this is covering my hunting clothes un raccoon urine, which was fine when hunting with the college buddies, but coming home with that odor does not impress my wife. Deer have incredible senses and we certainly can improve the amount of scent we put off, but eliminate it? No way. Sorry, anyone that says differently is fooling themselves. This includes Ozonics. Winds shift when you use it, and it puts off a different smell that may not scare deer, but it certainly makes them aware that something new they are not familiar with is in the area. In my experiences that is enough to make mature deer nervous.

That said, it works better than anything else I have seen, and I would say that 80% of the deer that are downwind of me with the Ozonics on will pass by, even if they seem a bit nervous. The best part is that almost never do they flip out and take off like they do when the unit is not on. Say what you want, but if you say it doesn't work or its a waste of money, then I say you have not tried it...and you certainly don't have to. However, the poster asked if it worked, and I assume he was looking for someone who has used one for input.

Long term exposure to ozone melts plastic and rubber from what I understand. That is scary, but from most research I have seen this unit used in open ventilated area does not produce harmful levels.

Extra to carry, setup, manage battery levels. Yep it takes more effort. Hunt with one though and you may find it worth it. Still not a cure all in my opinion, but it is a major advantage to extend the length of stand sites and let deer pass that might otherwise ruin your hunt. I carry in video equipment on all my hunts, so I have a heavy pack for sure, but I can tell you I feel a lot more secure in the tree concerning downwind deer with the Ozonics on.

Lastly, regarding the TV deer that are unpressured and calm, wish I hunted an area like that. However, I bow hunt through the gun season in the northern zone, and man are the deer skittish up here after the guns start blazing away. If this unit helps me keep a few more deer unaware of my presence, allows me closer proximity to them, instead of seeing tails at the slightest hint of human presence, then personally it might be worth the investment. It is certainly not a necessity however.

Sorry for the long first post, but I wanted to provide a different viewpoint.

Thanks for what I was looking for

Scentloc all over again - worked until it didn't.

Simple question - why have they not had independent scientific testing done that proves it works? Cheaper and would be far more effective than anecdotal observations from paid endorsers or those wanting to justify the money they have spent.

Fact is you cannot not see your scent stream so you have no idea if deer you think are downwind are in it. Anyone who has hunted and pays attention to the wind have had encounters where they felt deer should have winded them - and without a magic box.

Scentloc all over again - worked until it didn't.

Simple question - why have they not had independent scientific testing done that proves it works? Cheaper and would be far more effective than anecdotal observations from paid endorsers or those wanting to justify the money they have spent.

Fact is you cannot not see your scent stream so you have no idea if deer you think are downwind are in it. Anyone who has hunted and pays attention to the wind have had encounters where they felt deer should have winded them - and without a magic box.

Let's follow this line of logic.

A person that uses the product and the observes deer reactions during its use and then compares and contrasts those observations to similar past experiences is anecdotal. I agree.

Let's compare it to another person that has zero experiences with the product except for his vast Internet diatribes on the subject. He has no direct observations to draw from, since he never used it. He has zero observations to compare it's effectiveness or lack there of based on the observations he never made. Yea...much less anecdotal I agree.

And then you have someone who has used ozone for 100's of hours for odor elimination and understands the science of it.

I ask again - why havent they tested it?

Or maybe they have and that is why they are following Scentlocs model of paid endorsement.

And then you have someone who has used ozone for 100's of hours for odor elimination and understands the science of it.

I ask again - why havent they tested it?

Or maybe they have and that is why they are following Scentlocs model of paid endorsement.

Does that any of those 100's of hours include any use of the product in the field in hunting conditions?

Common denominator is that most of the Internet detractors haven't used the product and draw no experiences from it to make the argument for its effectiveness or lack there of. All they say is it can't work because I said so.

Edited by Trial153

There is a great field and stream test using a bloodhound that shows they work to some degree and more so than any other approach tested.

Love or hate them I can't say I know anyone with one that doesn't say it works.

Deer don't just notice smells- they catch our skin cells (including bacteria) floating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk