RL 15 in the 30-06

Pygmy

As soon as deer season is over I intend to work up a load for my newly acquired 30-06.

I intend to try 150 grain bullets first, since that is what I load for my M1 Garand and it appeals to me to use the same bullet in both rifles.

I have a fair supply of RL 15 on hand because I burn it in two of my other hunting rifles.

Has anybody had any experience loading RL 15 in the 30-06 with 150 grain bullets ?

Yeah, Philo, I have data in a couple of my manuals ( the ones that aren't too old) and I also have gleaned some info from a couple of other forums. Sounds like a good candidate..Decent velocity and relatively low pressures..I'll have to see how my rifle likes it as far as accuracy goes. I have worked up excellent loads with RL 15 for both my 7MM08 and my 9.3 x 62, both sub MOA..

I was just checking to see if anyone on the forum had any personal experience with this powder in the '06..

Edited by Pygmy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the only 150 grain .30 cal spitzers I could find are Sierra Pro-Hunters, not that there is anything wrong with them.

I have some loaded up with 2 different powders, and I'm looking for a decent day to go to the range and finally shoot my new/old rifle.

I am a huge fan of the Barnes X type bullets and currently use them in the 3 rifles that I hunt with the most. I'll definitely try them in the Springfield when I can get my hands on some.

Meanwhile, the Sierras should show me if the rifle likes 150 grain bullets with the powders I have on hand.

• Like 1

It SHOOTS !!

I took the Springfield to the range today.

I shot one of the factory loads that came with the rifle to see if I was on paper at 50 yards. It was, so I moved to 100 yards and shot a group with the same handload that I run in my Garand, 47.0 of H4895 with a 150 flat base spitzer.

The first three shots grouped right on the point of aim and measured just under 3/4". A fourth shot opened the group to just under 1.5" , but I think I pulled it a little.

I had also loaded up a mid-chart load with RL-15 and the same bullet.. It strung the group vertically about 2.5". It may shoot with higher or lower charges that powder, but if it groups as well as it does with 4895, why bother ?

I am tickled to think that the rifle is going to shoot well with the M1 load, simply to condense the variety of components I need to stock.

I just love it when a plan comes together !

The following are "Quickload" prediction for a Sierra 150 gr bullet in the 30-06. 3.34" COAL with 24" barrel.

You will have to zoom in to read the text.

Reloder 15 is a little "fast" & won't allow very good load density W/O getting up there in pressure..

Quickload%20RL%2015%2030%2006_zpsf5tvkuk

Edited by wildcat junkie

Reloder 17 on the other hand allows near 100% load density before approaching pressure limits. Better Mv at the same pressure & most likely much better accuracy with near 100% load density.

This is probably the most efficient powder for this application. It is my "go to" powder for 7mm-08 W/140gr bullets, 30/40 Krag with 160 gr bullets & 8 x 57 IS with 200 gr bullets.

Quickload%20RL%2017%2030%2006_zpsbq2losg

Edited by wildcat junkie

Reloader 19 is a bit slow for the 150 gr bullet yet it can still achieve decent Mv & the upside is that you can't get enough of it in the 30-06 case to reach dangerous pressure levels with a 150 gr bullet. It should give excellent accuracy with compressed loads.

105% or even 107% load density is pretty easy to reach using a drop tube to settle the powder as it is poured into the case.

Quickload%20RL%2019%2030%2006_zpscuihaga

Edited by wildcat junkie

once I get everything I need to reload 30-06 I wanted to load some 210gr Nosler Accubond LR bullets but all my '06s have a 1 in 10" twist.  Don't think it's enough.  with a common 1 in 10" twist what's the pill any of you have gotten to shoot well?

Did NY open  Brown bear season and I missed it? lol Whenever I think of upsizing the grains on the -06 my physics teachers voice pops into my head about equal and opposite reactions. 

Did NY open  Brown bear season and I missed it? lol Whenever I think of upsizing the grains on the -06 my physics teachers voice pops into my head about equal and opposite reactions. 

haha... it's got a pretty high BC to still get out there to 300 yards without too much drop but still holds lots of energy out that far to knock rutting 4.5+ yr old off his feet.  seems that a 150gr doesn't hit as hard out that far when I've taken deer.  some other deer savy folk I'm associated with is set in mind to use a heavy chunk of lead for various reasons.  their fond of 45-70s and 338-06s but I have neither of those.

haha... it's got a pretty high BC to still get out there to 300 yards without too much drop but still holds lots of energy out that far to knock rutting 4.5+ yr old off his feet. seems that a 150gr doesn't hit as hard out that far when I've taken deer. some other deer savy folk I'm associated with is set in mind to use a heavy chunk of lead for various reasons. their fond of 45-70s and 338-06s but I have neither of those.

I use 180gn barnes and they are the best middle ground that I have found for the 06. If I want heavier than 180 that's what I have my 358win, 35 whelen and 338-06.