Conservationist

Five Seasons

I try my best to pick up my empty shells when I hunt.

Most of the trash I see in the woods, I doubt came from hunters.  Like, Papist, I too have see old toilets and appliances in the woods.  I highly doubt a hunter will carry in a toilet while hunting and then forget to take it out with them.

As far as emissions, the cattle industry is the biggest threat to the greenhouse.  More of a reason you should get your meat from hunting.

Idk how many of you are familiar with the hudson valley. Over the summer an outdoors group (dont recall exactly who) did a cleanup around peekamoose blue hole. I just so happenned to be over there swimming with the fam. I was shocked to say the least. Full garbage bags just laying around from people. Looked like people just used the ground as a garbage can. Im not talking about someone dropping a bottle by accident while hiking. Disgusting. I work in the city. It always blows my mind to see the amount of trash laying in the street when there is a trash can on every corner.

• Like 2

Some state land I used to hunt in 4A was always odd when it came to litter. One area was like a dump, bottles-broken-and whole, cans, and household trash ( people would dump bags of it ). The other trail heads were clean and I never found much in the woods except really old rusty cans with those old pull tabs. Usually the cans were Genesee.

A few years ago on a camping trip to a state campground I almost vomited. I got used to the park operators not clearing the fire pits a long time ago. I get camp set up and get ready to start a fire, I locate a poker stick and start moving the old ashes around and find two diapers in the fire pit. They weren't melted and the people in before us had left the same day we got there, dang they were ripe. They must have dumped them in and then covered them up.

I never leave anything behind*** ( OK, maybe a spent shell I missed ). I am a smoker and I keep old pill bottles to put the butts in.

***Except, TP. I am not putting soiled toilet paper in my pocket or my pack even if it's in ten baggies! That's just gross! I also won't be using my hand to wipe and then "rinse" it with water. That's just beyond disgusting! I will now never look at a hand shake the same way again.

OH, to add, if I have to go and forget TP and no leaves, the item I will have to give up to clean up will not me making the trip home either.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank God! I'm so happy to see I'm not alone with the balloons. I have been bitching about it for years. My wife thinks I'm crazy. It drives me nuts seeing balloons stuck in trees and left on every telephone pole because people are too lazy to go take them down after their parties are over. Enough with the balloons already!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Long Island there are numbered hunters parking spots that only Hunters can use, you can tell which are heavily used by the amount of trash they accumulate. The ones deeper along the dirt roads are always cleaner. At spot 41 which is a two hundred feet down the black top road from the East Port Biking trail, Spot 41 is trash laden and the Mtn. Biking parking lot is clean (except for the deer rotting just off the parking lot). Since I always have contractors trash bags in the car I have picked up at my favorite spots only to find them the same a few weeks later.

I truly believe it is a very few who just don't give a crap, probably very local who feel a sense of entitlement over the woods they pollute not a sense of stewardship.

Idk how many of you are familiar with the hudson valley. Over the summer an outdoors group (dont recall exactly who) did a cleanup around peekamoose blue hole. I just so happenned to be over there swimming with the fam. I was shocked to say the least. Full garbage bags just laying around from people. Looked like people just used the ground as a garbage can. Im not talking about someone dropping a bottle by accident while hiking. Disgusting. I work in the city. It always blows my mind to see the amount of trash laying in the street when there is a trash can on every corner.

DEP and Westchester Fishing did a huge cleanup in multiple reservoirs early October, and we already see trash left on the roadside on some of these places already.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I hope many of us view ourselves as not just hunters or sportsman, but outdoorsman. I hope many of us appreciate and value the peace and beauty of the great outdoors. I believe we should be even more appreciative as our pheasant fields are turned into walmarts, and our golf courses built around our creeks.

Anyhow, I don't understand why we leave behind the garbage that we do. I constantly pick up water and beer bottles near the public land I hunt left behind by fellow hunters. I also don't understand why a mostly conservative group tends to be the loudest voice against environmental regulations aimed at reducing pollution. Regardless of your opinion on global warming, anything we can do to preserve our earth should be welcomed. What we've already done with regards to polluted soil and water is fact. I know many of us remember not being allowed to eat the fish out of the Great Lakes.

Please guys, as a group we need to do our part to keep are woods and our waters clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. The trash that fellow "hunters/ fishermen" leave behind is disgusting. I always cary out trash, unless its too nasty to touch. When I trout fish the local streams, I carry one or two small kitchen garbage bags in the back of my vest. Sometimes I come out with one filled with bait containers, water bottles, beer & soda cans, discarded fishing line, food containers,wrappers….all kinds of crap. One time I hauled out an empty keg, about 20 plastic cups, a broken fishing pole and some other crap,

that some sportsmen left at a section of a stream that they apparently thought belonged to them only.

If anyone reading this does this kind of crap…..You are several levels below scum bag.  Congrats….

It is so interesting when someone posts issues of "outdoor magazines" from the '70s. One of the top concerns of "sportsmen" in that day was the environment.

Theodore Roosevelt was the original high profile "conservationist" BECAUSE he was a hunter & realized that "conservation" was critical to the future of hunting and fishing.

Hunters & fishermen should be working WITH environmentalists instead of fighting them. We should work together to combat the corporations that exploit our resources with little or noi concern about whatb they leave behind.

Divide & concur. It's working!

• Like 1

It is so interesting when someone posts issues of "outdoor magazines" from the '70s. One of the top concerns of "sportsmen" in that day was the environment.

Theodore Roosevelt was the original high profile "conservationist" BECAUSE he was a hunter & realized that "conservation" was critical to the future of hunting and fishing.

Hunters & fishermen should be working WITH environmentalists instead of fighting them. We should work together to combat the corporations that exploit our resources with little or noi concern about whatb they leave behind.

Divide & concur. It's working!

Work with the right organizations representing hunters, plain and simple. Blogging on the internet, as you are doing, does actually help, but it is not enough. 

The attitude of the hunting community today is much different than it was in the past. That would not be surprising, except in the fact it is not due to a younger generation, it is driven by guys in their 60's, 70's and 80's. Its a waste of time trying to figure out what happened, the effort should be in promoting a different perspective. Many of the trouble makers won't be around in 20 years to see the damage they have done to the hunting tradition.