Who's Killed A Coyote?

Lawdwaz

I did. But not in NY.

I shot this yote in Alberta over bait (moose carcass). Was wolf hunting, but after 6 days of no wolves and seeing multiple yotes per day I finally decided to shoot one.

I shot these 2 gray foxes in AZ using an e-caller. Separate sets.

I haven't called in NY in a few years, but I'd like to give a shot again this year. Much harder to call in predators here in the east than the Midwest.

post-871-14509247330414_thumb.jpg

post-871-14509247489411_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Got the coyote and second fox with the e caller. Got the first fox in the woods with a mouth call with my shotgun. I usually go right before dark or at night. Last year all we called in were fox. I heard the mornings can be good for coyotes, we got one mangy one early am once while calling.

post-2748-0-67149600-1450966650_thumb.jp

post-2748-0-07416600-1450966878_thumb.jp

post-2748-0-01911900-1450966916_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I know I've posted this before, but for the predator hunters who haven't seen it yet, here is a video of my Dad shooting 2 wolves in British Columbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M545PXOwmqY

Background is this was my Dad's 4th or 5th trip to Canada (several different outfitters/provinces) in hopes of getting a shot at a wolf. Finally after over 30 combined days of hunting over bait over several years, he got an opportunity and drilled them both. That's the reason for the serious excitement you see my Dad display.

This all started back in the mid 2000's when my Dad told me he would pay for me to go on a hunt for a couple grand and it was my choice on the species. I chose Wolf and Alberta, he thought I was joking. After our trip to Alberta where I shot the coyote in the picture I previously posted, my Dad became obsessed with getting a wolf. I would say a wolf on a guided hunt is the lowest success rates on any animal in N. America. Unless you can go for like 30 straight days, its very tough to get one into bait. Most wolves are shot while people are hunting other types of game.

• Like 1

Chris B & PREDATE..........how'd you fool them?

Calls at night?

Mouth call or electronic? 

EDIT TOO ADD: congrats

We set up right at last light on the edge of a green field above heavy cover where we know is loaded with them. Sat quiet until darkness hit and in this case we waited until we heard them howl. used a mouth call to howl when they lit up and then went to my FoxPro crossfire with decoy. When the coyote popped into the field, I turned my call to almost inaudible and after a minute or two it drew her in to where I could get a shot.

Killed this one in NY one morning in 2014 prior to the deer opener.  Called it in using an old Herter's Dying Rabbit mouth call.  A real loud squealer of a call.

After deer seasons are done, I find I can only get them to come in at night.  I like to hunt them after dark when there is snow and a full moon.  It's still important to watch the wind.

post-177-0-05763200-1450983712_thumb.jpg

Took two this year, but took them while deer hunting.

• Like 6

Full moons are terrible for night hunting. You're better off playing golf than calling k9s. You will hear them, but they will seldom come out in the open.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

I manage a golf retail store ???? and have killed quite a few reds in full moon. Coyotes not so much during full moon.

Good to see some killed while NOT deer hunting, anybody can stumble into them THAT way.  (myself included!).

So who has done it regularly and how many do you get a year?

This will be when we sort the wheat from the chaff.................................... :)

Made three sets last nite 2min into first set call in one and missed a chip shot 2nd set called in a bobcat and a yote cats arnt in season here and I would have been shooting towards the road at the yote. Third setup should have had a partner cause 2 came in behind me at about 10 yards. Even Though I didn't connect it was still a good nite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Full moons are terrible for night hunting. You're better off playing golf than calling k9s. You will hear them, but they will seldom come out in the open.

I don't hunt them in the open.  I'm hunting the forested woods of the Catskill Mountains.  They will move freely in the mountains during a full moon.  They will also come into a call here on a full moon night.

Good to see some killed while NOT deer hunting, anybody can stumble into them THAT way.  (myself included!).

So who has done it regularly and how many do you get a year?

This will be when we sort the wheat from the chaff.................................... :)

I dont hunt them consistently enough to call myself consistent at killing them lol.

Night hunting in the woods is tough when you're using lights to scan. I find the lights shine off the trees too much. One of the biggest problems with hunting during a full moon is the fact that they can see you better. You need to scan constantly so you can pick up their eyes before they see you and all that scanning means you need to move more giving them more chance to see you. It's a vicious circle.

Yes you can have success during a full moon, but once you start educating coyotes they get smarter and increasingly harder to hunt.