Shot some new bows today could not decide.

sodfather

Well I shot a Mathews z7 and a Mission I guess made by Mathews and a Hoyt. I liked all 3 but when I released the hoyt it tilted to the right where that extra stablizer was or whatever that thing is. I think I would lean towards the Mission cause of the $400 difference both the z7 and the mission felt smooth to a novice like me. Any of you guys have a Mission bow and what do you think. And is the Mission line just the the lower end of the Mathews, thanks.

Welp, its a huge investment... Jumping into a Z7 even as a seasoned hunter is a HUGE investment.  If you have the cash to burn, more power to you.  It comes down to getting the best bow for your budget.  If the Mission felt good and fits your budget go for it.

I got the PSE Brute 2 years ago, and love it.  It was in my range, its a solid bow, and could not be happier. I love to support the local shops, and do so for a lot of smaller things.  However, for this purchase, I actually bought mine online through another non-local small shop which saved me over $100.  However, as a novice, its great to buy from a local shop in case of any problems, tuning, etc. 

Anyways, consider all your options, shoot as many as possible, then pick what you like best that fits the budget you have.

Ya I do plan on getting it from a local shop Im glad he did not want to just sell me the most expensive bow on his shelf. He asked me alot of questions and let me shoot whatever ones I wanted to. Unfortunatly I have a budget and I wanted to keep everything bow, sights, quiver, arrows all around a $1000, and the z7 I think was $1000 for just the bow. The mission felt great I think Im leaning towards that one more so than the others I shot.

I'm a big fan of the AT classifieds.

I've made some good purchases there. The most I've ever paid for a bow is $505, and that includes some flagship models that were new in box, or used a week at most.

I'd love to have a flagship bow nowadays, but I settle for mid-range bows. I find there seems to be the best value/performance in that. Bows simply don't retain value for resell, and they seem to improve each year (over a 3 year span, it can be a noticeable difference).

One thing I've noticed over time is that the large majority of hunters who take mature bucks each year (if that is your thing), who are not sponsored, shoot a bow for several years rather then buying each new model year. Obviously there are some who do, and it's mostly because they have cash to burn, but I see most successful hunters go 3-4 years with the same bow and use the funds they would otherwise buy a bow with to hunt (lease, stands, buy land, pay for trip travels out of state, etc.).

Don't forget you are also pulling a single cam against a cam and a half setup (Hoyt). Totally different breed of animal.

Thanks for the input and I think I will go with the mission a used bow is something I might think about but a $1300 bow for $500 only shot a handful of times sounds like he is either a crack head or something wrong with it. I am going to look around the archery talk

Personally, I wouldnt buy a new bow, I would figure out which model I wanted and buy it used off of the classifieds on Archerytalk. Bet you could find a used Z7 on there.  :P

I found my PSE BowMadness xs NEW on eBay for $400, saved myself $300  ;D

find the one you want and check the web for pricing. you just may save a ton.

there are alot of others hurting for $$ and willing to make a deal.

Great thanks, I shot the z7 again today and I have to say I love that thing. The guy at the bow shop has been so helpful I would feel bad if I just walked away and bought a used bow off someone that I know noththing about and how that bow was treated. I know I can save some money and I dont have money to burn but I do have a conscience. After shooting the z7 and then the mission I took someone's advise and closed my eyes and the z7 was real smooth, so I bought it, what the hell. He gave me a good price cause I went in with a budget and told him my budget and he respected that. Hope to have this baby for a long time.