See through sights

SuperMag

Does anyone here use them? On other forums I've been on people absolutely despise them for some reason. I've always used them on my "thick cover" guns like my 760s and 750 and don't plan on changing unless theres a very good reason to. I understand that the closer the scope is to the barrel, the more accurate it is, however i do like being able to use the rifle sights OR the scope.

Does anyone here use them? On other forums I've been on people absolutely despise them for some reason. I've always used them on my "thick cover" guns like my 760s and 750 and don't plan on changing unless theres a very good reason to. I understand that the closer the scope is to the barrel, the more accurate it is, however i do like being able to use the rifle sights OR the scope.

I'm a believer of setting up your sights for either scope OR irons/open sights, not both. The reason being parallax error and cheek weld.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

like shawnhu said it's more about cheek weld.  my dad has a 7600 pump 30-06 with see through rings and a scope on top.  it's pretty accurate gun for what it is.  people who aren't used to it would pick their heads up instead of staying on it, causing poor shooting.  I don't think either my dad or me has ever used the open sights though in decades of use.  scopes turned down to lowest power let in a lot of light.  so much, you probably won't be able to see the open sights otherwise.  only thing he was thinking was if you're back in the woods and take a fall which knocks the scope off zero.

I am not a fan of see throughs because of their height, that being said they do work. For the most part they are a carry over from the days when rifle scopes did not have the reliability that good quality scopes have today. There was always doubt in the minds of many that a scope could fail and the see through mount would save the day.

Scope failure is a possibility that I witnessed first hand on a moose hunt years ago. A fellow in our party was using a Remington 742 30/06 with a Weaver scope mounted with a regular set of rings and base.  A nice bull Moose came out of the brush trotting right at this guy and when he pulled up to shoot his scope was fogged severely enough he could not see through it. He was quick thinker, he took out his jack knife and unscrewed the scope from it's base in time to use the open sights and kill that nice bull. Myself and a couple of others in our party saw the whole thing play out from several hundred yards away.

A good quality scope like a Leupold mounted correctly has a very small chance of failing unless the gun was dropped hard on some rocks. So maybe on a hunt of a lifetime I would not blame someone for having some sort sighting of backup.  

Personally I mount my scopes low and gamble that they do not fail me, so far so good.

Al

Edited by airedale

Two "thinking out of the box" options that may or may not work:

One: you can mount one of the sight (either open or scope) on a 45 degree angle.  Works well in AR platforms.  I'm sure it may work on some tacti-cool bolt action hunting rifles as well.

Two: Get a flip to side rail magnifier mount.  You flip the scope to the side when you want to use the open sights and then you flip it down if you want to use your scope.  These mounts are typically designed for magnifiers and not scopes but it might work with a scope?

http://www.amazon.com/degree-Quick-Mount-Magnifier-Scope/dp/B00CIB4QBI

post-789-0-12409200-1455646983_thumb.jpg

At one time there were several manufacturers producing swing over mounts, if I remember right they available mostly for Remingtons and Winchesters.

I think if I was to go with both open sights and a scope I would give the detachable rings a shot and wring them out good before I used them for a serious hunt. I do have a cheap set of detachable rings that I used to mount a scope on a pellet rifle and they seem to work fairly well. On a hard kicking rifle I don't know, maybe the high end Kimbers or Leupolds hold up well.

Al

Edited by airedale

They put the scope too high for me..Of the many hunters I have seen who had one, I only talked to ONE who had ever used the open sights.. He used them as a hedge against weather..When the weather was crappy, instead of keeping his scope clean, he just used the opens. None of my scope sighted centerfire rifles even have opens..The other two have peep sights.

Not sure I agree, with open sights I never take my eye off the game, EVER.  How much quicker could it be?  Even low powered scopes tend to be zoomed in which if the game is a long distance away sometimes you have to refocus to get them lined up. 

A low power scope W/a wide field of view & a duplex reticle is faster to acquire the target than open sights.

Not sure I agree, with open sights I never take my eye off the game, EVER.  How much quicker could it be?  Even low powered scopes tend to be zoomed in which if the game is a long distance away sometimes you have to refocus to get them lined up. 

What makes you think that a scope requires you to take your eyes off the game? You still keep both eyes open when using a scope.

A scope only requires one to focus on one plane, open sights require you to focus on 3 planes. Since that is impossible you must somehow "see" the 3 different points while still concentrating on the target. At least receiver sights reduce that to 2 planes.

I don't know what kind of cheap scopes you have experience with, but none of mine require "refocusing" when I change magnification.

I always keep my variable at the lowest setting for quick target acquisition on close shots. Longer shoots will most often allow the time to "zoom" in. In cases where you don't have time to do that, the lower setting will work just as well or better than open sights.

• Like 1

They put the scope too high for me..Of the many hunters I have seen who had one, I only talked to ONE who had ever used the open sights.. He used them as a hedge against weather..When the weather was crappy, instead of keeping his scope clean, he just used the opens. None of my scope sighted centerfire rifles even have opens..The other two have peep sights.

That's what quick flip scope lens caps are for.

• Like 1

Two "thinking out of the box" options that may or may not work:

One: you can mount one of the sight (either open or scope) on a 45 degree angle.  Works well in AR platforms.  I'm sure it may work on some tacti-cool bolt action hunting rifles as well.

Two: Get a flip to side rail magnifier mount.  You flip the scope to the side when you want to use the open sights and then you flip it down if you want to use your scope.  These mounts are typically designed for magnifiers and not scopes but it might work with a scope?

http://www.amazon.com/degree-Quick-Mount-Magnifier-Scope/dp/B00CIB4QBI

Now you have to deal with both a trajectory variable as well as the horizontal variance of LOS & the pullet path.

Better to put the open sights off to the side.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Refocus is when you put your eye in the scope and try to get the target into the field of view.  Maybe I should have said target location, your scope is never exactly on the target when you put your eye in it so you have to get the target into view and then into the crosshairs.

My open sights I never focus on, once the gun is in my shoulder the sight is lined up I just have to put the front sight on the target.

Good valid statements here guys. Now my next question for you guys without see throughs would be what scopes are you using at what power? I have 3-9x40s on everything except my 223 which has a 4-12 but I've been tossing around the idea of putting a fixed 4 power on my new 7600 in .270.

I like the Leupold 2x7 for my big game rifles, for me it has it all, eye relief, enough power, compact size and light weight with a generous  field of view and best of all total reliability. :yes:

Al

Al...

You just mentioned all the RIGHT stuff in your post...You are hereby invited to go out and get drunk and pick up chicks with me, Wildcat, and a few other sensible folks on this forum...I LOVE you, Man...

• Like 1

Al...

You just mentioned all the RIGHT stuff in your post...You are hereby invited to go out and get drunk and pick up chicks with me, Wildcat, and a few other sensible folks on this forum...I LOVE you, Man...

Do you have a particular nursing home in mind where we can "watch the Grammys"?

• Like 1

The slug gun I used for almost forty years is an Ithaca model 37 Deerslayer with the "intermediate eye relief" scope mounted on the barrel. With the 2x Leupold and both eyes open I was pretty good at shooting skeet with it considering the choke on the smooth-bore slug barrel. Very quick target acquisition is crucial, and a scope that's mounted 2 1/2" above the bore isn't going to work without a stock that's made for it.

Modern scopes with decent caps are not likely to ever fog up to the point where they're unusable. Keep it at the low end of magnification (1x to 2x) and make sure the stock fits.

• Like 1

The slug gun I used for almost forty years is an Ithaca model 37 Deerslayer with the "intermediate eye relief" scope mounted on the barrel. With the 2x Leupold and both eyes open I was pretty good at shooting skeet with it considering the choke on the smooth-bore slug barrel. Very quick target acquisition is crucial, and a scope that's mounted 2 1/2" above the bore isn't going to work without a stock that's made for it.

Modern scopes with decent caps are not likely to ever fog up to the point where they're unusable. Keep it at the low end of magnification (1x to 2x) and make sure the stock fits.

I mount my scopes as low as possible to allow my eye to be as close as possible to the center of the FOV when I mount the gun W/my eyes closed, then open them. If the stock fits well you can do this & be very close to being on target too.

• Like 1