Shed Hunting Tips

BizCT

https://vimeo.com/156188735

Yet no bone to be found!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate when that happens, but I'd definitely be making a return trip to that area.

They can't all be doe!

Gotta be some horns laying around there somewhere. At least now you know where they are NOT so just check every place else next hike!

• Like 1

Seek out areas where the deer are hanging out right now. If there is snow on the ground you can do a light walk through of an area to determine this. Major food sources and where they travel back and forth to bedding areas are the places to key in on. I've found sheds in white pine groves, green fields and a hot spot can be brush lots where deer bed and browse all day before heading out to the fields.

I'm sure some bucks have dropped by now but from what I've seen this winter and years past most bucks are holding on to their antlers for another month in my area. It can be hard to find them with snow on the ground this time of year too, so I won't disturb my honey holes for another 3-4 weeks, because I simply don't want to push the bucks out until the odds are high that they have dropped. When I do check an area for sheds I hit it pretty hard and do a grid search of brush lots and pine groves. I'll also walk green fields and glass for horns as I go along. I often wish I had a lab or other breed that can be trained to sniff out sheds, especially when it comes to corn fields where every other stalk looks like antler.

Shed hunting can be challenging even in good areas and it can feel like a needle in a haystack at times. I find that keeping my confidence up, staying sharp and feeling out an area that just looks good for a shed and picking up the intensity in those areas helps. Also, bucks are usually in bachelor groups this time of year, so if you find one shed then you might just find another one or the matching side close by. Jackpot! 

• Like 1

Do you have any open fields on the property?

On my land I have found the majority of sheds on field edges and in heavily traveled trails thru the fields. I am not sure if that is because they are just easier to spot in fields, but have spent most of my shed hunting time in thick/begging cover and the yield is much lower.

I also plant a large amount of brassica, which tends to keep them fairly concentrated during the first half of the winter.

that said, I am far from a shed hunting expert (average 3 or 4 per year).

Edited by t_barb

Do you have any open fields on the property?

On my land I have found the majority of sheds on field edges and in heavily traveled trails thru the fields. I am not sure if that is because they are just easier to spot in fields, but have spent most of my shed hunting time in thick/begging cover and the yield is much lower.

I also plant a large amount of brassica, which tends to keep them fairly concentrated during the first half of the winter.

that said, I am far from a shed hunting expert (average 3 or 4 per year).

I have found roughly 120 sheds over the past five springs...probably 75-80% have been found lying in fields. Don't think it will help you much there though...

I do the best when I search the thickest brush I can find relatively close to a food source. The thicker the better and I'll circle the area for hours and hours, you'd be surprised how you walk right by them. Patience is key. I find 6-10 per year on public land

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every year there is always an article or two in just about every magazine about shed hunting.  They always offer insightful thoughts like walk on a cloudy day, walk after it rains, walk with the sun to your back, think like a deer, blah, blah, blah.  Taken in context, this info is fine.

The reality is, JUST WALK.

If I averaged out the hours I walk verse the sheds I find, I would guess about 6-8 hours per shed (I have found 4 in 5 minutes and have also walked an entire weekend with none).

The more you walk, the more the odds are with you.  I have at least 50 hours in this year so far and have 7 (which is just over 7 hours a find). 

I hear too many times "I don't ever find any."  Then I ask, well, how much have you walked?  And the typical response "like, 2 hours this weekend."

Here is my expert advice to anyone out there who has never found one (I guarantee results):

1) Walk where deer actually are this time of year (I don't care where they were in October when you hunted)

2) Walk a minimum of 50 hours AFTER they have dropped.

3) The area you walk, walk thoroughly (grid search it foot by foot, don't blaze trails at 100 mph).  Don't stop searching that area until you are 100% confident a shed could not exist there (people are too eager to give up on a spot and move to a new one)

4) Assuming you completed #3, next time out, find a new area and start over.

You're welcome!

• Like 2

Every year there is always an article or two in just about every magazine about shed hunting. They always offer insightful thoughts like walk on a cloudy day, walk after it rains, walk with the sun to your back, think like a deer, blah, blah, blah. Taken in context, this info is fine.

The reality is, JUST WALK.

If I averaged out the hours I walk verse the sheds I find, I would guess about 6-8 hours per shed (I have found 4 in 5 minutes and have also walked an entire weekend with none).

The more you walk, the more the odds are with you. I have at least 50 hours in this year so far and have 7 (which is just over 7 hours a find).

I hear too many times "I don't ever find any." Then I ask, well, how much have you walked? And the typical response "like, 2 hours this weekend."

Here is my expert advice to anyone out there who has never found one (I guarantee results):

1) Walk where deer actually are this time of year (I don't care where they were in October when you hunted)

2) Walk a minimum of 50 hours AFTER they have dropped.

3) The area you walk, walk thoroughly (grid search it foot by foot, don't blaze trails at 100 mph). Don't stop searching that area until you are 100% confident a shed could not exist there (people are too eager to give up on a spot and move to a new one)

4) Assuming you completed #3, next time out, find a new area and start over.

You're welcome!

You left out "look down" but other than that I think you nailed it!

• 4 weeks later...