Best Gobbling Days

Bowguy 1

I've seen lots of posts where people think warmer weather will get birds gobbling better.

I've been doing this since the 80s n personally I prefer a cooler morning as I have never lots of gobbling on real warm n especially humid days.

I have had plenoy of gobbling when it's in the high 20s even.

The very best days though for me came after an over night thunderstorm that stopped just before first light.

This is no debate just wanna hear what you think n why so many guys like warm days.

Also what are you all considering warm?

Edited by Bowguy 1

I've had the best gobbling on mornings in the high 30's/ low 40's and a mix between calm and overcast or blue bird days .... Not so much when it warms up , but then again that doesn't typically happen till towards the end of season , so .... I haven't had much luck with overnight storms that let up before light , I don't think they like being drenched on the roost around here , sissy's lol... Like this morning , sitting here and it's low 50's calm n clear , but no gobbling what so ever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never found much difference in the gobbling activity in different temperatures. I was talking to a fellow a week ago that loves the last week of the season when it's hot and buggy. Yea, BUGGY!! he has killed many more spring gobblers than I have for what it's worth.

Amazing how different things can be. I've called atound 50 birds for newbies n have no idea how many I've taken myself so there is some history w birds.

Even the two posts above are very different.

As analytical as I try to be understanding animal behavior and many years of being at it I just find it crazy the differences in experience even in some longer term guys with similar history

Amazing how different things can be. I've called atound 50 birds for newbies n have no idea how many I've taken myself so there is some history w birds.

Even the two posts above are very different.

As analytical as I try to be understanding animal behavior and many years of being at it I just find it crazy the differences in experience even in some longer term guys with similar history

I have never found any rhyme or reason to when they gobble, other than they seem to gobble more before the season opens, LOL. I've had groups of them gobbling hard on youth weekend with heavy snow falling, and have birds gobbling like mad on a near 90 degree Memorial Day. Just need to be out there when they do decide to sound off I suppose....

• Like 1

I have seen them gobble like crazy on warm sunny days, but i prefer to hunt the mornings that are somewhat cooler and more cloudy/overcast.. Preferably after a rain or thunderstorm the evening or night before.. The following mornings have been very productive and alot of time very vocal. Or even after a morning rain storm, and the sun comes out immediately after.. those were always good times for me..

Some personal observations..LOTS of gobbling before the season opens regardless of weather..I can remember last spring when it seemed winter would never let go...During scouting had them gobbling like mad a week before the season opened in 20 degree weather with hard frozen ground and snow..LESS gobbling where they are pressured more somehow they just know somethings up.

Of course less gobbling when accompanied by hens...

When I get up and look up into a calm clear sky full of stars I call it a "Turkey Sky"..they will gobble..!!

Cold temps,wind,hard rain ...little to no gobbling even when birds are definitely there.

Lots of predators will decrease on the ground gobbling.

Drizzle or fog..doesn't seem to bother them

If it rains hard all night and dawns sunny and nice they will gobble, usually later in the day than usual

This youth season I had a great  rare opportunity to hunt birds on L.I. on private land in a completely predator free environment with zero hunting pressure and got to watch birds on multiple days before the season opened..You want to talk about gobbling?...strutting!..hen talk!...amazing what these birds do when nobody's after em!

Of course this is all subject to change without notice!!!

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN
  • Like 1

The main reason that warmer weather might trigger more gobbling is that  a few warm days would encourage more hens to start incubating...

Gobbling is ALL about the hens...

That's not based on scientific fact, but I am perfectly willing to fight about it <<grin>>...

• Like 2

The main reason that warmer weather might trigger more gobbling is that a few warm days would encourage more hens to start incubating...

Gobbling is ALL about the hens...

That's not based on scientific fact, but I am perfectly willing to fight about it <<grin>>...

That seems to make perfect sense yet Ray Eye swears birds respond better most of the year to dominance.

It also doesn't account to birds going nuts toward fights, even when only males are present.

No disagreement just devils advocate and more to discuss/think on

I remember a day many years ago at my buddy Tom's.......I was deer hunting late season in a BLIZZARD and was completely covered in snow.  All of a sudden I hear gobbling, not once or twice but hammering for probably ten minutes.

Go figure!

Gobbling is great and it indicates a presence of toms in the area but it sure doesn't guarantee a kill. This youth season on  L.I. the first morning it poured..I mean torrential flooding rains...huge puddles and trees dripping...If I wasnt 100% certain there was good birds in the area I probably would never have ventured out...At 6 am we had a minor break in the weather and I did some light calling on a Matthews slate..by 6:20 my youth hunter had a bird on the ground..a good bird..big hooks and a 11" beard.Probably the dominate bird of the area..No gobbling that morning what so ever..came charging in completely silent to the decoys and totally trashed a pretty boy strutter decoy before getting a load of #6 20 ga federals in the face..The next morning was beautiful calm and clear...birds gobbling like mad from the roost and on the ground...no kill that day..A hen came in leading 4 strutters with full fans and just didn't like the setup and putted and pulled them all away..Moral of the story....rain or shine... gobbling or silent ...GO HUNT!!

• Like 2

WTF is a Long Island?

WTF is a gobble you guys speak of ?!

I'm sold on full moon makes birds a little wonky. Temps , I've noticed a difference Barometric pressure I've never paid attention to but there could be something behind it.

In a nutshell. They're turkeys and try as we might well never figure them out. Awhile back on here someone post turkeys don't know what their next move is seconds before doing it. Ain't that the truth.