WNY people - pistol permit bureau in Cheektovegas

Thought this may help out from not having to go downtown

Going this morning to get that .44 on my permit. Hoping the wrinkles are worked out as today is the first day they are open

ERIE COUNTY CLERK JACOBS TO OFFER SATELLITE LOCATION FOR PISTOL PERMIT HOLDERS

County Clerk says Cheektowaga Town Hall Affords Central Location to Customers

Erie County, NY- Erie County Clerk Chris Jacobs announced that the Erie County Pistol Permit Department will offer weekly satellite services to permit holders every Wednesday from 10 a.m.- 3:45p.m. beginning June 1st inside Cheektowaga Town Hall located at 3301 Broadway.

The enactment of the New York State SAFE Act has resulted in an unprecedented increase in the number of new pistol permit transactions in Erie County and since then Jacobs has been working on ways to improve service delivery.

In a recent analysis of pistol permit holders by zip code, Jacobs identified that pistol permit holders are evenly dispersed throughout the county. This study prompted Jacobs to approach Town Supervisor Diane Benczkowski to offer pistol permit services at Cheektowaga Town Hall, which is centrally located in the county with easy access from the Thruway.

“I have heard from hundreds of pistol permit holders over the last few years asking for an alternative to coming downtown to amend their existing permits, I’m very glad that we were finally able to find a solution,” stated Jacobs. “I want to thank Cheektowaga Supervisor Benczkowski for partnering with us on this initiative.”

“We are pleased to work with Erie County Clerk Jacobs and his office to provide a suitable satellite office location for pistol permit holders to conduct business,” said Supervisor Benczkowski. “Cheektowaga welcomes the chance to serve residents from across Erie County.”

At this time, only pistol permit holders that have plastic permit cards will be able to take advantage of the following services: add/remove firearms, update personal information, pick up new or upgrade applications, submit opt-out form or upgrade application. Anyone interested in applying for a pistol permit or moving from a paper permit to a plastic card permit must do so at the Pistol Permit office located in Old County Hall, 92 Franklin Street, Buffalo.

For additional information, please contact the Pistol Permit Department at 858-6600 or visit www.erie.gov/clerk/pistolpermits.

• Like 1

Got there at 9:45 and was #3 on sign in sheet. Got out of there at 11:15. Only 2 people working but gotta say it was ALOT better than driving downtown, looking for parking and taking even longer. Allen was the gentleman who helped me out and a pleasure to deal with. Chris Jacobs was there thanking all who came down and shook my hand. I asked him about the SAFE ACT and the mandatory 5 year renewal /background check. Going on what 3 years now of SAFE ACT and troopers have no idea on how to go about this process so he said "when" they finally figure something out there will be an announcement but don't expect anything soon. Channel 2/4/7 were all there but everyone opted out of interviews, me included. Granted they are ironing out some wrinkles and it'll get quicker but all in all a pleasant experience. And some .44 going down range tomorrow. .

Side note. I learned from gent waiting that you can go into PA sheriffs office and in about 20 minutes obtain a non resident pistol permit providing you have a NYS permit. I have a Utah non resident and PA just opted out of recognizing it. New Hampshire online is piece of cake too. No classes or such like a Florida or Utah. The benefits of these non resident permits is other states recognize them. Great if you travel a bunch. Just a heads up.

• Like 3

Two things.........Back in the 80's and 90's I had a PA pistol permit.  IIRC it was good for 5 years.  And, it's too bad the Cheektowaga pistol permit office is ONLY open on Wednesdays.  Maybe that will change.......

Ya , I've got NY, FLA And Utah , Penn. became a big block when heading south, I should get theirs I guess, since we go watch the St. Louis Cardinals , play the Pirates each year .

Be there in two week ends !

Guess I'll just have to get by with a kind word and a smile .....

• 1 year later...

Thought it was better to revive a useful old thread then start a new one.

Finally got my pistol permit application in yesterday. Did the fingerprints today. In addition to the forms printed online, when I got there they had two forms regarding mental health, asking if I had ever seen a psychologist or psychiatrist, with dates, and any hospital stays. Other form was to give them permission to search my medical records. It's crazy how the process varies from state to state.

Well, will get an answer back in 12 to 18 months. That's what I get for procrastinating all these years.