Putting out Trail Cameras

Jjeangler23

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to that. Every cam, including Reconyx has its issues of some sort. Moultrie (while I am not a huge fan of) is no worse or better than the others in the same price point.

Rule of thumb for non cell/data cams should be for every $50 spent, you should get one year of service. For a $100 cam, if you are on year three, you are "money in the bank."

People's expectations of cameras are simply too high I find. These cams sit in harsh conditions and we expect them to stay outside 365 or go in and out of homes which potentially has worse effects.

I can definitely agree with this.  my cams go out just before hard antler and during.  once out they stay out.  only swap cards.  before I did this it seemed like I was going through cams left and right despite I didn't have that many.  I'd also have weird sections of the photos blurred or blacked out but no visible moisture in the cam.  all kinds of weird other quirks.  haven't had too many issues at all the past few years with cams I've always had.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been something of a proponent of cheap cameras, but I decided to stump up for a BROWNING STRIKE FORCE ELITE. Sure, it's not a Reconyx, but it is the most I've paid for a cam to date. This upgrade is borne of a need to zero on the Big 10 point running around.  I am set to have a super busy Fall, and hunting will be limited time-wise. This is the year. The Buck will be 6 or 7 years old. Probably doesn't have many more seasons in him. I needed a cam with better trigger times, as ambush hunting is par for the course in my patch of woods.Deer pass through more than thy hang around.

Anyone tried this brand?

If your new to cams.put them out anytime and learn how they work, if your serious scouting late August early.sept will show what hardhorns you have on your property ,my friend gets all worked up.watching bucks grow all July and is so dissapointed when they dissappear in august and sept.

I only care what uses the land I hunt. I pick the top 5 as targets for the year.no sense in watching bucks thay dispurse.miles from their home range.. can't tell you how many people I know hunt bucks that are no longer near their stands they scouted in july but are a mile or so properties away. As season gets closer I keep my cameras on easy.access sites. That I can grab and check with out disturbing them from natural movements by leaving scent all over.. logging roads and field edges are best for.me at thay time

• Like 1

I've just had good luck I guess. I have 2 cheap WGI cams. Think I paid $60 for one and $80 for other. I run them August - November every year and never had issues. This year will be their 5th or 6th year I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been something of a proponent of cheap cameras, but I decided to stump up for a BROWNING STRIKE FORCE ELITE. Sure, it's not a Reconyx, but it is the most I've paid for a cam to date. This upgrade is borne of a need to zero on the Big 10 point running around.  I am set to have a super busy Fall, and hunting will be limited time-wise. This is the year. The Buck will be 6 or 7 years old. Probably doesn't have many more seasons in him. I needed a cam with better trigger times, as ambush hunting is par for the course in my patch of woods.Deer pass through more than thy hang around.

Anyone tried this brand?

You should have purchased the cam from me. I am a Browning dealer.

The Strike Force is a picture taking machine. Check to see if your Elite takes pics after you turn the camera off (and SD card still in). One user here reported that. Curious if you experience the same issue.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

If your new to cams.put them out anytime and learn how they work, if your serious scouting late August early.sept will show what hardhorns you have on your property ,my friend gets all worked up.watching bucks grow all July and is so dissapointed when they dissappear in august and sept.

I only care what uses the land I hunt. I pick the top 5 as targets for the year.no sense in watching bucks thay dispurse.miles from their home range.. can't tell you how many people I know hunt bucks that are no longer near their stands they scouted in july but are a mile or so properties away. As season gets closer I keep my cameras on easy.access sites. That I can grab and check with out disturbing them from natural movements by leaving scent all over.. logging roads and field edges are best for.me at thay time

I have equal number of bucks I've killed caught on cam in velvet vs. not.

So I have 2 cheaper cams covering the same ravine crossing right now.

One is  Moultrie Game Spy A-5, the other is a Wildgame Innovations Axe 5. Both of a similar price point. I got both on sale also, so good deals all round. Probably paid about 30-40 dollars a piece.

The Wildgame however has a longer trigger range and captures 2-3 times more pics than the Moultrie. Just thought I would share my experience with these cameras. I have always found the wildgame range of budget trailcam to be surprisingly effective.

I think my Browning Cam just arrived at the door. Woot woot! Can't wait to test this against the others.

I have equal number of bucks I've killed caught on cam in velvet vs. not.

It all depends the habitat your hunting here there are winter yards and summer range the dee move quite a bit, my one friend in rochester area has captive bucks in small rural setting that are kept in place by developments..

Motion detection off, I love the browning strike force elite , I did have three brand new ones just go back to browning all due to taking pics when off. TCP confirmed my results. I am working with trail camera pro and browning to try to resolve the issue. Once resolved I'll be getting another one

• Like 1