New crossbow

Buckmaster7600

Well my new Stryker katana was delivered Thursday after a couple hundred shots I can say I'm in love with my it, fast, quiet and I can decock it like my old Excalibur.

I hope NY never makes it full inclusion as I am completely happy with a 2 week season, and it splits up the seasons nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Buckmaster7600
  • Like 4

Well my new Stryker katana was delivered Thursday after a couple hundred shots I can say I'm in love with my it, fast, quite and I can decock it like my old Excalibur.

I hope NY never makes it full inclusion as I am completely happy with a 2 week season, and it splits up the seasons nicely.

oh boy, and you started off so nicely  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

oh boy, and you started off so nicely :rolleyes:

You can't make a Xbow post without it going to that so I figured I'd throw first punch.

Seriously technology since I bought my old xcal 10 years ago to this thing is unbelievable. This thing is so fast and so quiet.

You can't make a Xbow post without it going to that so I figured I'd throw first punch.

Seriously technology since I bought my old xcal 10 years ago to this thing is unbelievable. This thing is so fast and so quiet.

I'm with you on the split season.....and I wish I didn't run out and buy a starter xbow last year, wish I spent a little more,.

• Like 1

Well my new Stryker katana was delivered Thursday after a couple hundred shots I can say I'm in love with my it, fast, quiet and I can decock it like my old Excalibur.

I'll stay out of the debate but can you throw up some pics of the new rig?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My new (first) crossbow !  Went to the Dicks / Field & Stream Grand Opening in Latham NY ... $ 249.00 Gamecrusher Crossbow .

Gamecrusher.jpg

Have you shot it yet?

I was down there on Thursday and was very unimpressed, what did you think? I think my expectations were to high because a guy I talked to said it was as good as a cabelas.

I was there yesterday with my grandson. Probably the best store as far as variety in the Capitol region. But there is much better if you travel east or west an hour or two. Prices were ok for most stuff.

Nice crossbow Greenhunter! Welcome to the club!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Have you shot it yet?

I was down there on Thursday and was very unimpressed, what did you think? I think my expectations were to high because a guy I talked to said it was as good as a cabelas.

I liked it and I told the guy I wanted to get into crossbow and he said the advertised the Gamecrusher but were sold out and gave me a raincheck and they will call when they get more so I'm satisfied to be getting into the crossbow on the cheap ! 

Edited by GreeneHunter

great starter xbow. I had a wicked ridge warrior as my first. i was able to hit a half dollar at 50 yards all day with that thing. But it did lack spped and power so I went with a barnett ghost 360  LOVE it Barnetts are great products

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Sent from my iPhone using 

I hunt with a compound bow but have and 

like my  245 fps recurve crossbow it's light and compact and the practical range of any bow crossbow is really no more the 40 yards for hunting .  If I was going to get a faster one would be the excalbar micro . Recurves are  just more easy to work on if something needs to be fixed . Had I compound crossbow at one time and the the cables broke on me to get it fixed was a nightmare. So I'm bias against them I guess

like my  245 fps recurve crossbow it's light and compact and the practical range of any bow crossbow is really no more the 40 yards for hunting .  If I was going to get a faster one would be the excalbar micro . Recurves are  just more easy to work on if something needs to be fixed . Had I compound crossbow at one time and the the cables broke on me to get it fixed was a nightmare. So I'm bias against them I guess

Just so you know excal micros are illegal in NY.

Crossbow Specifications

• A legal crossbow consists of a bow and string, either compound or recurve, that launches a minimum 14-inch bolt or arrow, not including point, mounted upon a stock with a trigger that holds the string and limbs under tension until released.
  • The trigger unit of such crossbow must have a working safety.
  • Minimum limb width: 17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)
    • Minimum peak draw weight: 100 pounds
    • Maximum peak draw weight: 200 pounds.
  • Minimum overall length: 24 inches from butt-stock to front of limbs.

8 hours ago, LJC said:

Everything is relative of course, but the ballistics on some of these crossbows are crazy, and they are very accurate. The amount of drop if you're in the high 300's puts even a fast compound to shame. I can't find any rule of thumb but I'm thinking a good crossbow is close to doubling your range. Of course, it depends how good an archer you are as well; a superb archer may not find their range doubled with a good crossbow; a crappy archer certainly could.

Compounds are close to their theoretical limits and crossbows will keep getting faster, we're now over 400 fps. Compared to a bow that flies very flat indeed!

BTW I don't own a crossbow. I will probably just have to get one since the cool kids seem to be doing it. Harder to sneak into the house so it may have to wait until next year. I also hope they don't allow it into regular compound. If they do we're going to see tons more people swamping the early season.

2 hours ago, Core said:

Everything is relative of course, but the ballistics on some of these crossbows are crazy, and they are very accurate. The amount of drop if you're in the high 300's puts even a fast compound to shame. I can't find any rule of thumb but I'm thinking a good crossbow is close to doubling your range. Of course, it depends how good an archer you are as well; a superb archer may not find their range doubled with a good crossbow; a crappy archer certainly could.

Compounds are close to their theoretical limits and crossbows will keep getting faster, we're now over 400 fps. Compared to a bow that flies very flat indeed!

BTW I don't own a crossbow. I will probably just have to get one since the cool kids seem to be doing it. Harder to sneak into the house so it may have to wait until next year. I also hope they don't allow it into regular compound. If they do we're going to see tons more people swamping the early season.

they use shorter  lighter bolts it's basically the same but since you can use a scope and it's just easier to shoot .

To someone who does not no better they appear to be more then what they are . Since the bolt is shorter when  you go shoot at a target it gives  you the impression it's much more powerful . Because that little bolt disappears  in that target . If you go mesure a arrow from a 70ib 30 inch draw a  compound bow is going in about the same  thing in those targets  but because it's longer it don't seem that way 

Allso depends on you set up of a bow .

If your shooting compound on low settings sure a crossbow is more powerful.  And still in hunting conditions  in  woods practical range 40 yards. 

they use shorter  lighter bolts it's basically the same but since you can use a scope and it's just easier to shoot .

To someone who does not no better they appear to be more then what they are . Since the bolt is shorter when  you go shoot at a target it gives  you the impression it's much more powerful . Because that little bolt disappears  in that target . If you go mesure a arrow from a 70ib 30 inch draw a  compound bow is going in about the same  thing in those targets  but because it's longer it don't seem that way 

Allso depends on you set up of a bow .

If your shooting compound on low settings sure a crossbow is more powerful.  And still in hunting conditions  in  woods practical range 40 yards. 

And that is why xbows should be considered archer equipment and have full inclusion in archery season

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

And that is why xbows should be considered archer equipment and have full inclusion in archery season

No because archery a  bow is still harder to shoot for a beginner .

Anyone can shoot a crossbow accurately

Not true of archery a bow you have to practice.  Build up muscle strength to use it there not the same as far as skill leaning curve only  similar in  practical range for hunting . Guys that get crossbows don't want to take the time to learn the skill of shooting a bow . 

There not the same and thats why  the  season is not the same  for good reason .