need thoughts..

OK the corn field behind me...was planted last week in beans. They are just poking through, so I do not know what type...

This is the fist time beans have been so close to us,bordering.  It's 18-20 acres worth. Is this late for most farmers beans? What effect will this have on early bow? It's right next to the beef farmers hay field so not a lot of cover there...though the field is 1/2 mile from my line to the road. So for you guys that hunt around such fields any ideas...I'm use to the corn...but that gets chopped to bare ground...early.

Soybeans in my opinion are the absolute best food plot to ever have. The only time i do not see deer in soybeans is when the leaves are yellow.. you'll see them in that field  picking up dropped beans, long after they've been harvested too, as long as the field doesn't get disked in afterwards.... 

It does seem way late for soybeans, but it just must be a fast maturing group of soybean.. 

Maybe it was planted soybean for soil nutrients too?

I expect an unbelievable bow season for you this fall lol.. depending on your neighbors and pressure lol

I'm not to sure on the soy beans... the farmers here have planted beans for years that weren't soy. Actually soybeans are a new crop for the area(last 4yrs)...this is a crop farmer leasing the field..We have a dairy ,a beef,and crop farmer that border our lands. I'm hoping for a great season...they certainly will be healthy..

That field had been in corn 5 yrs with no manure spread, just chemical fertilizer. I'm assuming the beans are to replenish nitrogen and a $$ crop...though I would think clover would have been a better option for the soil...It could be a bean/ winter wheat cropping intended. Still wouldn't think it enough to undo what a 5yr. corn planting would have eaten up.

Young growth corn and soy is a tasty treat. Once the beans grow, if they do in this draught, u have by far a great food plot. With no cover close I'd be glassing first and last light to see where they are coming from/going to. Hopefully wind is on your side. Pray for rain

Praying big time...we are in better shape than most...though the last storm missed us...one thing...seems to have kept them off the hemp/ bean/pea plot I planted...though something likes the hemp over both the beans and peas....good thing it will regrow once nipped.

Beans are great early, then once the leaves turn yellow, the deer seem to back off of them for a while, then they pick back up again after they get harvested if there are beans left on the ground. If the farmer harvests, and then plows or discs the field under, it becomes a wasteland.

• Like 2

Beans are great early, then once the leaves turn yellow, the deer seem to back off of them for a while, then they pick back up again after they get harvested if there are beans left on the ground. If the farmer harvests, and then plows or discs the field under, it becomes a wasteland.

this is exactly my experience.

I add soybeans to my late summer planted plots (late July - mid August), which also include wheat and white clover.   Those spouting soybeans quickly draw deer to the plots but are normally picked clean by October 1.  The deer then hang around thru winter, to feed on the wheat (tastier than rye), and the clover feeds them for the next 3-5 years.  The only problem you got with a big bean field, is the deer will only use it at night after detecting some hunting pressure.  

An adjacent, standing corn plot is what you need then if you want daylight action on your land.  Hopefully we will see enough rain to make some decent corn this year.   It certainly has been touch and go to this point in Western NY.  I have a 1-1/2 acre corn plot, planted the weekend before Memorial day, on some poorly-drained, mucky soil.  That one looks great, shoulder high, dark green, and relatively weed-free after spraying and cultivating.   My larger, 2-1/2 acre plot, planted on the same day on some higher, well-drained soil, don't look so hot, about knee-high now.    

Edited by wolc123

Same thing with my cover corn...but mines not even knee high...we have had some short bursts and a temp drop..so here's to hope...I'm thinking the bean/hemp/pea field will get a light discing and hit with a winter planting mix. the sorghum and sun flowers are just 4 in" high..planted weeks ago...even the scourge of that plots not growing very fast...lambs quarter.  Thought they say it's as taste as spinach...I do not see the deer hammering it...if they did...I would stop planting plots down there and let the lambs quarter take over...grows 3' tall and very leafy and free!!

I would assume this time of year it would be winter wheat. It's pretty much a waste of money to plant soybeans this time of year, even if they are group 1.0. From experience, the latest we've planted soybeans of group 1.0 is June 14. I'm not saying it's not possible but I wouldn't risk it. Was it a corn field that was planted this year and went to crap?

Chief, It is a field the farmer planted in corn 5 yrs. In a row. This spring nothing.Then as I said it was disced and planted,beans are definitely what is coming up. Farmers here have planted beans for years and years,not soy.40 yrs ago the farmer We bought the land from planted beans where my lower plots sit. 3 miles away is also a newly planted bean field a different farmer put in.

I've just never had one so close to us and wondered what to expect this fall.

Chief, It is a field the farmer planted in corn 5 yrs. In a row. This spring nothing.Then as I said it was disced and planted,beans are definitely what is coming up. Farmers here have planted beans for years and years,not soy.40 yrs ago the farmer We bought the land from planted beans where my lower plots sit. 3 miles away is also a newly planted bean field a different farmer put in.

I've just never had one so close to us and wondered what to expect this fall.

update...drove by that field on the way home deer were hammering those beans...not soy ..pointed leafs not rounded... This explains why my little plot is growing wel.l Though  update on that as well, they have been really hitting the hemp over both my cow peas(beans) and the frost master fields peas...which they don't seem to be eating very much at all...I wonder how the peas taste...hhmmm...

my bean plot or the field beans of the farmer...Too be honest..I wouldn't know either...I never tested this year but 2 years ago it was a tad over 6...which for here is great...I had one new plot tested and the results were...they people called me to say the number was so low it didn't register..which is pretty darn acidic... on OK soils here one needs to add 3 ton per acre to get OK results...I just add a couple of bags per plot each year after the initial dump of ph rising lime...woodland soils tend to stay acidic due to leaf litter and the soils being usually cold and wet. Which is why we also have a bad moss problem..