Mountain top field

With the new road that i had put in a couple months back with a dozer  i was able to access a high point on my property. Grass was close to 3 feet and i was able to mow it down to a few inches with my tractor and finish mower. Now i have another open area i can use for a future food plot or leave as is for its new grass growth. I was also able to connect this field with one of the new food plots of  clover and rape that i put in a couple months back. Beyond that little circle cluster of trees is where the food plot is, which is now connected to the field in the foreground.  Im hoping this area will be productive as its very secluded and sits high in elevation. pics are sideways.

20160806_220631.jpg

20160806_220528.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah its a nice incline and just about the highest point of my property , but thats where all the big boys and girls like to hang out. Its also the very same spot i took my bear from  a few years back. Its very secluded and butts up against my sanctuary. Its an adventure getting there chugging along with the tractor ,meandering trails thru the woods and up, up i go.

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Looks like a great spot for some serious deer hunting to me. Hope you get some venison out of there.

Ive taken a few deer from there already along with a bear, just try to enhance the property each year by doing little or big things to better my experience and support the wildlife. I get alot of satisfaction from working the land. 

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Never mind the deer, I would just enjoy the view there from a stand

I have to say being high on a mountain and being 16 feet up in a ladder stand, the views are breath taking. Youll have to take my word for it, its an awesome view even if you dont see deer.

2 hours ago, slickrockpack said:

very pretty, enjoy!

nice thing is you don't have to worry about crows landing, they'll fall right off! :drinks:

Haha, good one.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I can see some deer getting ambushed here. Looks like a lot of groceries can go here

I couldnt agree more, but for this year it will just be cut and kept as grass. Thinking of planting buckwheat and clover or turnips and clover next year in that spot. But for now there is just mere feet from this field a new food plot of ladino clover and rape and about 100 yards down further still on the same hillside is yet another new food plot of clover and rape. Cams show deer are frequenting the plots daily. 

• Like 1

Id definitely have clover growing in there, maybe some chicory too if the deer eat it there. And maybe brassica mix at the other end or vise versa. Room for oppurtunity there! 

I just like the Looks of the plot, "honey hole"... All my plots but 1 are on the edge of an Ag field. 

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Id definitely have clover growing in there, maybe some chicory too if the deer eat it there. And maybe brassica mix at the other end or vise versa. Room for oppurtunity there! 

I just like the Looks of the plot, "honey hole"... All my plots but 1 are on the edge of an Ag field. 

Another great mix that i most likely will do in that spot is Ladino clover and Pasja turnips or possibly broccolli rabe (if i get get my father to make me enough seeds  for a plot that size), theres hardly any root bulb with the pasja  turnips but their tops grow back and tolerate grazing very well. With the spots high elevation and seclusion im expecting the plot to get hammered,  hopefully not too much though.

• 4 weeks later...