NICS SYSTEM DOWN??

ants

My neighbor just told me that he went to pick up his pistol, that he ordered in, and the FFL told him that the NICS system has been down for 3 days ?? So he couldn't get it. Anyone hear anything about that??

Edited by ants

I found this in a 10 second google search:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/news/nics-system-down-cbi-instacheck-impacted

It may just be a hiccup in the system. I'll ask around. If it continues I'll absolutely be on it, and I'd appreciate any additional info from you folks. Three days seems like a long time for a computer glitch, then again Obamacare has had an inoperable system for a few years now.

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

I found this in a 10 second google search:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/news/nics-system-down-cbi-instacheck-impacted

It may just be a hiccup in the system. I'll ask around. If it continues I'll absolutely be on it, and I'd appreciate any additional info from you folks. Three days seems like a long time for a computer glitch, then again Obamacare has had an inoperable system for a few years now.

Yeah.. I took ten seconds to Google search it , but I didn't find anything. I googled "NICS  system down"

26 minutes ago, ants said:

Yeah.. I took ten seconds to Google search it , but I didn't find anything. I googled "NICS  system down"

The Colorado info may have been a couple of pages in, ants. Look for dates, because what you're looking for is often buried.;-]

I've made notifications and inquiries.

Three days?  It's taken me five months and counting to get my first handgun. 

I started the process of getting a carry permit in January. After waiting to take a required class, and scheduling delays, fingerprints were sent to the FBI in April. The FBI has still not processed the request. The local clerk said they have not gotten back the batch they sent in March, which is a 6 month delay. A cop I know told me getting prints checked by the FBI usually takes less than 24 hours when they send them in. 

I am not a conspiracy theory sort of person, but if someone in Washington wanted to slow down the issuance of new pistol permits without passing new laws or repealing the second amendment, they could assign the FBI fingerprint techs to other things and stall the whole process.

• Like 1

I think these guys have permits already.What you are waiting for could take a few more months.When you do get your permit and you buy other guns you well also have to the back round check they are talking about and you well have to do this with every gun you buy rifle shotgun or another hand gun...Good luck with the permit.

Obviously there have been some issues with the new permit applications at the Federal level. Most of the longer wait comes at the county level. My county (Wayne) takes up to a year to completely process a new pistol permit application, which involves those Federal checks also. They've vowed to improve this, but may be a long time happening since it's basically a manpower issue. Once you're new permit is approved, the initial background check is good for 5 years, I believe. Pretty sure a purchase can then be confirmed via a phone check & the required wait period. Like I just went through recently, once the 5 year background check expires, it'll take somewhat longer to actually take possession of your new handgun, In my case, 5 weeks.

Best philosophy for applying for a new pistol permit is to apply, forget about it and then be surprised when it finally shows up! Won't help your frustration level to constantly check your mailbox hoping it's there. Anyone that doesn't see this whole process getting worse in the future is delusional. If you ever thought you might want a handgun some time down the road, start the process now!!!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 3

On August 13, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Ononhunter said:

I've been waiting 3 days just for a simple firearm transfer Gander Mountain keeps telling me that the system is down but other guys are telling me the 1 800 number is working I can't get a retail assistant to even try . 

From what I know, the 1 800# works, but because the electronic system is down everyone, nation wide, is calling in NICS checks and overwhelming the phone system so  everyone is being left on hold for well over an hour. I talked to Gander Mtn.  guys today, and thats what they told me. A buddy called a small FFL, he knows and was told the same thing.

Funny thing is that if you google the subject, there is nothing on it and its been going on for a week now...

Federal Suspension of Bill of Rights Runs 4 Days

"It's not a loophole, exactly," according to gun-law expert Alan Korwin, author of the unabridged guide, Gun Laws of America.  "The so-called 'escape clause' was deliberately put into the Brady law to allow gun sales if the national computer ever went down, or in case it was never actually built.  I followed that legislation closely -- it's designed to help prevent federal agents from suspending the Bill of Rights and blaming it on a computer."

The latest computer outage, however, froze gun sales nationwide for four days, and ended Sunday.  It was blamed on the part of the system known as the triple "I", the interstate identification index.  A schematic of the $200 million background check system is posted at gunlaws.com.

Recognizing that the national background check (NICS) could stop gun sales altogether, Congress explicitly required its use only if it is running and information is available (under law 18 USC §922(t)(5), reprinted below*).  But gun dealers, afraid for their livelihood and licenses, have so far been reluctant to risk relying on the law, at least not on their own, creating a sort of rights-denial-by-default. When NICS is down, dealers generally refuse to make sales, costing them a small fortune.

Doing business without NICS would almost certainly attract the wrath of federal agents.  "Though the intent was to protect you, and that language was specifically placed there during drafting for this very reason, I have little doubt that the feds would be, shall we say, displeased, at such challenge to their power," Korwin says.  "The fact is, 't5' has a penalty for a dealer who doesn't use NICS-but only if it's running.

The above copy and paste is old, not reflecting the recent outage.

If NICS is down they can still complete the sale, but dealers won't out of fear . Not sure how NYS and the unSafe act comes into play here though .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1