Anyone in wny heading out for 9/1 goose?

mlammerhirt

Was wondering who will be heading out and what type of setup you will be running??

I am brand new to this and may give it a crack....our club has a pretty secluded new pond and I was thinking I may give it a mid morning try with the heat wave we have experienced this summer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Try any of the parking lots around me, I've got to dodge 100's of them daily .

We use to hunt the ponds in Greece NY in Sept. Made blinds in the cat tails , put out idk 30-40 decoys and used flags and calls. Guy at work was a major Waterflowl guy he did all the work. Great time you can hunt in shorts ,smoke cigars and so forth.

We gave the birds to the  guys fishing at the  boat ramps. 

The first time I went, my first bird was double banded, I guess that's a big deal or something ....

my friend set the decoys with gaps in certin spots , so,they'd fly into those areas .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Was wondering who will be heading out and what type of setup you will be running??

I am brand new to this and may give it a crack....our club has a pretty secluded new pond and I was thinking I may give it a mid morning try with the heat wave we have experienced this summer.

If you have an active pond, you can slaughter them.  Fields can be hit/miss as they can change their mind on a whim as a new field opens up.  I saw a small flock today in Pendleton that would be GREAT for tomorrow morning as long as they were there tonight and they didn't find a better option! Much can change in a goose's world in a matter of days.  Scouting is paramount and pays off big.  You must do your homework.........

I just got exclusive permission on a farm with several hundred acres of fields, plus about a mile of river frontage.

My contact, the landowner's "agent" who controls access to the property, lives right there, so it should be fairly easy to make field decoy setups on the X....

I can't hunt opening day due to a couple of medical appts, but that ain't a big deal in this kind of hunting.

I have had good luck in the past with 2-4 dozen decoys ( plus flagging and calling) as long as I am set up on the X...Where the geese want to land.

This will be my first season that there is no 3 shot  limit..I have always wanted to have a flock of honkers 20 yards overhead with 5 shells in the gun.....<<  big  GRIN >>.....

• Like 3

Didn't go...between building an archery/reloading room in the basement and family commitments throughout the weekend my hunting plans were scrapped. Needed to make some progress on this room for my hunting stuff so my boys are allowed back in the basement.
Drywall is up and final coat of mud has been applied....just need to sand and start painting. Will start a new thread documenting this build shortly.

298647a3cedde65aaabd0e45fbb8469d.jpg

• Like 2