AR possibility

upstatehunter

While I am favor of AR's I think they are a band aid for a problem that has much better, and easier solutions .
For example:
1) one buck tag to be used in any season.
2) DMP that are zone and person specific
3) A 10 day state wide regular season that is after the rut.

Do this and you won't needs AR's at all.

I hunt in 4-0 and have had a/r for several years now. I will say the hunting has improved. When I was first hunting this area in the early 1970s and for the 80s and 90s if someone shot an 8 pt it was news. I'm seeing more bucks and hearing less shooting. The last 4 years my family (8 hunters - kids grandkids etc.) we've taken at least one 8 pt a year some years two. And during bow season I'm noticing bigger bucks on there feet searching. Now it's not deer paradise where I hunt-but it has improved. The first year of a/r not one of us shot a buck all the spikes n 4 walked but since then it has improved. Jut my 2 pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am torn on this topic. I like the sounds of restrictions for my own personal agenda but I know a lot of hunters that are thrilled to shoot a crotchhorn opening day of gun season. People who have limited time to hunt don't always have the luxury of waiting on "better" deer or people who don't have private land to hunt (myself included). I too think it should be left to a hunter vote, when you buy your license you get one vote, majority rules. Or take it further and vote for the unit you routinely hunt as AR or not? I've never hunted an AR area but it sounds like a good principle to me (I'm biased because I want more 2.5yr+ deer around). Or how about you get two buck tags same as now, first tag can be used on any legal buck, second tag must fit antler restrictive criteria ( 4 on one side)? I'm not sure that would make a huge difference on a state level but I wouldn't mind it being tried... Also I think a shorter gun season would be nice (also a bias), I'm not a fan of crossbows in general but I'd gladly accept them all season long if it would trade off for shorter gun seasons. I'm sure I've pushed someone's hot button in here somewhere so before you get all flustered remember I'm not advocating anything, just spit balling a few ideas...

I am torn on this topic. I like the sounds of restrictions for my own personal agenda but I know a lot of hunters that are thrilled to shoot a crotchhorn opening day of gun season. People who have limited time to hunt don't always have the luxury of waiting on "better" deer or people who don't have private land to hunt (myself included). I too think it should be left to a hunter vote, when you buy your license you get one vote, majority rules. Or take it further and vote for the unit you routinely hunt as AR or not? I've never hunted an AR area but it sounds like a good principle to me (I'm biased because I want more 2.5yr+ deer around). Or how about you get two buck tags same as now, first tag can be used on any legal buck, second tag must fit antler restrictive criteria ( 4 on one side)? I'm not sure that would make a huge difference on a state level but I wouldn't mind it being tried... Also I think a shorter gun season would be nice (also a bias), I'm not a fan of crossbows in general but I'd gladly accept them all season long if it would trade off for shorter gun seasons. I'm sure I've pushed someone's hot button in here somewhere so before you get all flustered remember I'm not advocating anything, just spit balling a few ideas...

I'm pretty sure I read that only 5% of NY hunters kill a second buck so I don't think that would make a difference. I'm opposed to AR for the same reasons you stated, I'd like to see us go to one buck. I think it would make more hunters pass on bucks knowing that that four point ends their buck season
  • Like 2

I am against AR. I think it drives some casual hunters away, and we need all we can get on our side.  There is a tendency to look down on the casual hunter, but I want them to support us-if we want to keep our hunting heritage, we need them.

Will

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Will_C said:

I am against AR. I think it drives some casual hunters away, and we need all we can get on our side.  There is a tendency to look down on the casual hunter, but I want them to support us-if we want to keep our hunting heritage, we need them.

Will

We need far more hunters with this mindset in our midst! Well said Will.