Buck i had mounted

upstatehunter

I shot this buck some time ago and had It mounted......not sure why I had it mounted......I believe I did because everyone I hunted with on that property seemed to miss deer and when I finally saw a buck I killed it......myself personally I like the look of this little six point.......I have an 8 pointer that I get back in 3 days

6 pointer.jpg

• Like 7

I have one that looks just like him. It was the first buck i ever shot. Open sighted Marlin Lever 30-30. After that i had the bright idea of getting every number mounted after him. I now have a 6pt all the way up to a 13pt on the wall. Have shot a few bruisers after those mounted that were much bigger and a few made the books but the wife says no doubles mounted so my next mount will not be until 14pt..Needless to say..Its been 4 years since my last mount but i shoot for the next one every year.

5 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I have one that looks just like him. It was the first buck i ever shot. Open sighted Marlin Lever 30-30. After that i had the bright idea of getting every number mounted after him. I now have a 6pt all the way up to a 13pt on the wall. Have shot a few bruisers after those mounted that were much bigger and a few made the books but the wife says no doubles mounted so my next mount will not be until 14pt..Needless to say..Its been 4 years since my last mount but i shoot for the next one every year.

What about 1-5 FSW, seems like that could be done much easier.  lol  Sounds like a nice trophy room.

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

What about 1-5 FSW, seems like that could be done much easier.  lol  Sounds like a nice trophy room.

I thought the same but at 500 a pop i could take that 2500 and go to a ranch and get a 14pt. lol

Nah...I will get him in the bowels of Letchworth or the top of Rattlesnake!

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I want to do the same.....every size buck.....I love mounts so I will do the spike and up count......I always wanted to do this and I will now start

I shot this buck some time ago and had It mounted......not sure why I had it mounted......I believe I did because everyone I hunted with on that property seemed to miss deer and when I finally saw a buck I killed it......myself personally I like the look of this little six point.......I have an 8 pointer that I get back in 3 days

6 pointer.jpg

Nice. Sometimes it's not about points, but rather about other things. My dad has several 8pt+ mounted, but he also a 6pt mounted. The reason why is because he shot the 6pt on December 6th on my brother's 6th birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nice. Sometimes it's not about points, but rather about other things. My dad has several 8pt+ mounted, but he also a 6pt mounted. The reason why is because he shot the 6pt on December 6th on my brother's 6th birthday!

I usually mount a deer because there is meaning.....I had an 8 point mounted because my old lady was hunting with me when she was 9 months pregnant with my son......we shot the deer together and she went into labor 2 days later.....I will post picture

• Like 1

I agree that you will regret it some day even if you have the wall space.  I just don't see the number of points you are missing as a good reason to use your buck tag to kill and mount a small 1-1/2 year old buck.  The regret will hit you hard later when you are out hunting does and a monster presents a cake shot while you are "tagless".    There is surely nothing wrong with mounting them if they are special in another way however, such as that "hard to get 6" .

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You'll regret it someday, even IF you have the wall space.

I have quite a bit of taxidermy, usually more than most I see post on forums like this one. 

So far so good, and don't see them as a burden.

I'm fully aware that they are a crappy investment, and will end up in a dumpster someday; but thats not why I have them. 

I think its how you view them going in that decides if one has buyers remorse.

21 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I have quite a bit of taxidermy, usually more than most I see post on forums like this one. 

I'm fully aware that they are a crappy investment, and will end up in a dumpster someday; but thats not why I have them. 

Spike, spikes, 3pt, 4pt, 5pt, 6pt, 7pt, 8pt etc.............to each their own of course. The taxi will be thrilled.....:)

Same. I don't regret any of them. In fact, in 2007 when I shot my first NY 8pt whitetail, my dad told me not to mount it because it was a small basket 8 and I'll surely get more 8pointers down the road. Well here it is 2016 and I never shot one since. It's still my only WT mount!

35214511b9ad55c9d60edc67225f0c18.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Same. I don't regret any of them. In fact, in 2007 when I shot my first NY 8pt whitetail, my dad told me not to mount it because it was a small basket 8 and I'll surely get more 8pointers down the road. Well here it is 2016 and I never shot one since. It's still my only WT mount!

35214511b9ad55c9d60edc67225f0c18.jpg

Awesome mounts! Who ever did the cougar and coyote did a great job! Seen way too many bad cougar and coyote mounts. 

Awesome mounts! Who ever did the cougar and coyote did a great job! Seen way too many bad cougar and coyote mounts. 

Yea. Cats are the toughest they say. Kurt Fox did my taxidermy. I have a thread somewhere on here with my other stuff (bobcat,Lynx, foxes, antelopes, Mule deer etc.)

• Like 2