The poor moose

ANTLERS

They should either open up a hunting season for Moose or slow speed limits where it is heavily populated, its doing no one good when these Moose get hit by cars besides maybe the people who get the Moose meat. I'd hate to see them go extinct but seems like their becoming a problem with vehicle incidents and its sad to see a huge walking freezer full of meat get hit by a car when someone could have harvested it.

41 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I havent heard anything bad, but I hear hitting a moose is one of the worst animals to hit. 

While in AK there was a sign to said slow down and listed how many moose were killed in that location so far during the year. In other parts there are fences for miles long and then a gate way allowing them access thru. Bad part about driving at night with moose crossing the road is your headlights shine right under their bellies so no silhouette to see 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 1:53 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

I havent heard anything bad, but I hear hitting a moose is one of the worst animals to hit. 

Yep. You hit a whitetail deer in a car and odds are it bounces off and causes a nice bit of vehicle damage. Now jack it up a few feet higher so its body is at passenger level, increase its weight by 6X, and try again. Adult male moose are 1000 lbs+, so they end up crashing into the cabin. Newfoundland has 120,000 moose and tons of accidents each year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Core said:

Yep. You hit a whitetail deer in a car and odds are it bounces off and causes a nice bit of vehicle damage. Now jack it up a few feet higher so its body is at passenger level, increase its weight by 6X, and try again. Adult male moose are 1000 lbs+, so they end up crashing into the cabin. Newfoundland has 120,000 moose and tons of accidents each year.

I remember watching tests done on the difference and the cow moose fell right on the divers seat almost every time. 

There was a TV show on one of the nature channels a few years ago about moose-vehicle accidents in Maine. It was a little hard to watch seeing those cars completely flattened or the windshield pushed into the front seats. Dummies go out onto the roads during the winter to lick the salt that's spread by Hwy crews. A car, esp at higher speeds will buckle their legs under them and then it's a huge 800# cannonball hurled into the windshield &/or onto the roof. Hard to visualize w/o cringing!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...