Matty my new Setter pup.

airedale

I have hunted over my Airedales for birds most of my adult life with pretty good success, they are flushers and when hunting with flushing dogs as long as the hunter can keep up with their dog to the point of the flush so the bird is in range all is good. At this stage of the game I am still taking my share of birds but keeping up with my Airedales is getting tougher as the years pass and I finding myself missing more and more opportunities because of out of range flushes. 

Around ten years ago I decided to try out a pointing breed, an English Setter male named "Stickers". I could not have been more happier or pleased he was a great bird dog and I had a ball with him on upland game and we took our share. He was a foot hunter's bird dog deluxe he worked fairly close and was staunch on point and as long as you could walk you would kill as many birds as you wanted with that guy. As fate would have it Stickers for what ever the reason had a stroke at only four years of age, I did all I could for him but after a couple of weeks he faded away and passed. Been raising hunting dogs all my life and this was a first and to say I was devastated would be putting it mildly. 

This is a painting of Stickers done by my grand daughter 

2008-08-12_071115.jpg

So for the next few years I just continued to hunt birds with one of my Airedales with decent results but I sure missed Stickers. Although I toyed around with getting another Setter I never pulled the trigger that is until a month ago when surfing the web just looking of course I found a litter within driving distance that I really liked.

To make a long story short I took the drive and came home with a little girl whom I named Matilda, Matty for her call name. I am in love with this little gal and she is doing everything I want so far, I will still have to hunt this fall with one of my Airedales but next year Matty should be pointing birds for me if all goes well., I can't wait!

Matty holding point nicely on a Pheasant wing.

063_zpsosgl0zj0.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 19

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...