Starter Fly Set up

BKhunter

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

Check Orvis. They always have a pretty good starter set up foe a couple hundred bucks or so. You may pay a bit more but Orvis stuff is always good.  And I would start with a 5 weight 8 footer. Floating line and dry flies. 

Grampy beat me to it. But what he said . Never go wrong with Orvis 

24 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I always liked the Cabelas combos, especially the 5 weights for a beginner (bigger if youre targeting steelhead/salmon). Do you have waders/boots? Im selling a top of the line Orvis set for my brother, size 9

Have a pair of waders already......I'm also a 10 1/2

As a long time fly fisher and instructor I would say the brand is not that important, but what is key is that the line matches the rod weight (i.e. 5wt line for 5wt rod) and that the line weight can handle the flies you are trying to cast. For trout via dry flies and nymphing a 5 wt is fine. For casting weighted streamers for smallmouth and bigger trout you want a 7-8 weight. And for Pete's sake get some instruction in the basics of casting. Shorten your learning curve a ton. Also have a look at www.sexyloops.com. And a word of warning.. fly fishing is extremely addicting. There is no known cure.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Where do you plan to fish?

I was planning to hit some of the streams in NY around the Catskills, but as stated I want something to bring in my pack so when I hike out west I can fish out there too. I am a complete newbie here and just always wanted to do it so I have no idea what NY has to offer close to the city where I am located. I know there is an Orvis on 5th ave that offers free intro to fly fishing classes to give you the basics. I was also thinking of maybe doing a weekend after I take that class up in Roscoe and getting a guide for a day to really give me better instruction and then take it from there.

I have total respect for the guys that posted Orvis but they suck. If you're gonna spend decent money sage or Winston are better choices. But you neednt spend that much. Break down pack style rods don't normally cast or perform as well as the 2 piece models. Get something in 4 or 5 weight n it'll be a good start. There's so much to learn as far as leaders, tippets, line types, changing these depending on how or what you're fishing but Id start w a floating line. Good luck 

• Like 1

Most mid- to high-end fly rods are 4 piece today. If you got a 8 1/2 footer that's 25.5 inches per section, add an inch or two for the rod case. Is that small enough to fit in your pack? If you want something even smaller you can find shorter rods.. I have a 7' 4-piece "pack rod" that I bought for fishing smaller brookie streams in northern PA. I've also had it in Colorado hiking in to high lakes and smaller streams in the parks. But I wouldn't really recommend a short rod like that for general purpose use. Would be a hindrance on a big river like the Delaware for example. You will soon find that fly rods are like golf clubs. You could play a round with just a 7 iron, but once you get into it, you will want a 'full set of clubs' i.e. 4, 6, 8 wt, short pack rod, two handed rod, steelhead rod, nymphing rod, etc.

This will be an addiction for sure !

First the rod/reel, then more gear and then you will learn to tie flies and next thing you know you scout roadkill for feathers and fur and have more tupperware tubs and boxes in your basement than the local walmart...

Enjoy!! I ditto, get a few lessons and buy a good rod and reel and stay away from junk. You can always upgrade gear but if you start with junk your skills will suffer and you'll get discouraged.

• Like 1

I just picked up a starter kit for my son.  It was a pfleuger 4 weight - around $45 and included everything needed to start.    I suspect he will want one with more quality but before I drop several hundred on something better, it should be enough to decide if he likes it.  Seemed to pick up basic casting pretty well from youtube vids.

• Like 2