Bone Yard and Gut Pile Thread 2016

Curmudgeon

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some newer shots. The first is a great view of a young golden eagle at a camera trap. Then there are a couple of photos from the bone yard. Finally, there are 2 shots of a 2 year old golden eagle we trapped last Thursday. She was a beautiful 12 pound bird with 7' wingspan. We are GPS tracking her now.

EK000349.jpegMDGC0445.JPGMDGC0162.JPGIMG_9194.jpegKyle - Sisu (7) - Copy.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Here are some newer shots. The first is a great view of a young golden eagle at a camera trap. Then there are a couple of photos from the bone yard. Finally, there are 2 shots of a 2 year old golden eagle we trapped last Thursday. She was a beautiful 12 pound bird with 7' wingspan. We are GPS tracking her now.

EK000349.jpegMDGC0445.JPGMDGC0162.JPGIMG_9194.jpegKyle - Sisu (7) - Copy.jpg

Awesome. That leather hood must be special made...do you get them from Mongolia?... where they hunt wolves with eagles. I can't imagine how careful you have to be with their claws, getting them out of a net and not get bloody yourself!

2 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

Awesome. That leather hood must be special made...do you get them from Mongolia?... where they hunt wolves with eagles. I can't imagine how careful you have to be with their claws, getting them out of a net and not get bloody yourself!

The hoods are handmade here in the states. I bought them from a falconry supply.

Yes. Getting them out of the net can be a challenge.

The Brownings are a step up from the Moultries I've been using for years. Wooly's shots are really great. Unfortunately, the ravens damaged mine. The cover on the motion detector is trashed and it's taking too many photos. When Browning gets more in stock, they will send me a replacement cover. I hope that solves the other issue.

• Like 1

It survived bear attacks, wow! There is a book out on using wildlife cameras for research. Some guys in Africa have had a number of cameras destroyed by elephants. That is certainly novel but a broken camera is broken whether an elephant or a raven gets it.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Andy K. 3/2018
      300 acres of mostly wooded property available to lease for hunting on beef farm that grazes, grows grains, soybeans and hay on remaining 200 acres.  Plenty of game and privacy.  ATV's only for setting up stands and bringing out game.  Small group of safety-minded hunters receive exclusive access.  Good neighbors are respectful of boundaries.  2.5 hours from NYC.  $5000/year.  Call Andy at 607-829-5592 or email  [email protected]
    • By goosifer
      As much as I dislike coyotes, I never would have imagined, much less considered, leaving cyanide gas booby traps to kill coyotes and other "nuisance" animals. This is just crazy.
      -----------------------------------------------
      By Laura Zuckerman
      SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - A "cyanide bomb" planted by U.S. predator-control agents targeting coyotes near homes and hiking trails in Idaho exploded when a boy handled the device, injuring him and killing his dog, authorities and relatives said on Friday.
      Canyon Mansfield, 14, was playing with his yellow Labrador retriever, Casey, on Thursday afternoon near his home east of Pocatello when he saw what he thought was a sprinkler head on the ground and touched the device, causing it to detonate.
      The explosion sprayed the boy and his 3-year-old, 90-pound (40 kg) pet with toxic cyanide gas, according to the boy's mother, Theresa Mansfield.
      . . . . link to full article
      (Not sure how much of the article I am allowed to reprint.)
    • By Curmudgeon
      The Appalachian Eagle Project in NYS started camera trapping as part of our Golden Eagle/Scavenger research the day after muzzleloader season ended - 12/23. Things were slow then suddenly one site in Delaware County had a burst of activity. These photos are mostly from Delaware. Some may be from Otsego. The bear could be a big problem as deer carcasses are scarce.

Bear removing one of the two carcasses it took.

Bear resting after clearing out our bait.

Bald Eagle

Bald and Golden Eagles together

Bobcat-coyote standoff (note -the cats usually win, which is weird).

Coyote

• By bg1063
      Hello all!  I need some help, so any help you guys could offer would be great.  I hunt upstate near the Hunter/Cairo/Tannersville area where I have a nice log cabin with about 20 acres.  The property is pretty hilly and the terrain is rough especially when there is snow on the ground but I still see plenty of wildlife.  My neighbor is a complete di@k who on opening day for every season drives around on his ATV 20 minutes before dawn and continues to drive around throughout the day.  Whether its with his ATV or with his truck he is constantly driving around while I am sitting in my blind or up in my treestand.  He owns 300 acres surrounding my property but his constant presence is really driving the deer away during the day.  I spend all summer setting up new shooting lanes, clearing out trails, putting up new blinds overlooking pines and bedding areas only to have this d@uche drive around during open season, sometimes with his dog.  I think his constant presence is what is causing the nocturnal deer situation.  Behind his property are 1000 acres of state land where I have walked up and have seen plenty of 8,10 and 12s during the off season.  The only thing is none of them are coming down by me where all the does are.  Now I have some huge does but I would like to shoot something bigger than a six.  Any help?  All the preparation, money spent on scent control, blinds, estrus, etc is useless unless I start seeing some bigger animals.  This season was a total bust for deer, I was able to nab a nice 180lb sow black bear but the deer are only coming out at night, any way to turn their feeding habits around?  Or am I just screwed because of my neighbor? Please help, only a few months until I will start clearing lanes again...
    • By stevenjackson
      You could never guess the ending here....not much of one but I'm surprised this deer sticks up for itself like it does so...

http://huntervids.com/videos/cabelas-anthem-spot-extended/