Small Racked 8 point

Small Racked 8 point that I shot in 2006 . I was sitting in an Outhouse blind almost ready to call it quits when 3 doe hauled butt past me . I wasn't about to take a running shot with the ML . I convinced myself that I would stay until 5 pm . At almost 5 , I spotted a buck coming from where I had parked my truck As he got within 60 yards and presented a safe shot , I poked the barrel out of the side opening . The canvas was brittle a made a little noise . He ran and stopped . I had the scope on him all the way and squeezed the trigger . The buck ran about 30 yards and folded up . I walked over to make sure he was dead and noticed something odd . He had something sticking out of his cheek . It was a broken arrow and when I touched it , I could see where it down by his throat .

When I cut up the deer , I removed the arrow . It had a clip attached and I wondered what it was . After posting a pic of the arrow , I was told that it was a Game Tracker . See for yourself ...........

28a1g75.jpg

2mw9hme.jpg

wqtzxv.jpg

The Game Tracker / String Tracker (from what i could find out) has a string attached to the clip at the base of the broadhead that I guess you follow to find the deer . Apparently it didn't work with this buck .

I shot this deer on Lima road in Geneseo with my 50 cal NEF Huntsman inline .

• 5 weeks later...

It is from  a tracking string. My cousin hunted with one until he missed a bruiser because of it. arrow got almost to the deer and there must have been a knot or tangle in the spool that mounts in the stabilizer hole. The arrow flipped and he swears the knock hit the buck...no damage but he sure did cover some ground never to be seen again. Seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist....I prefer the KISS principal....Keep It Simple, Stupid

Nice buck...wonder how old the wound was?

the game tracker is a small barrel of string attached to the bow that when the deer runs off it pulls string from the barrel to help INEXPERIENCED hunters find there game... Or ones who clearly put horrible shots on animals like the guy who arrowed that deer.

thats crazy that the deer had to have that shaft sticking out of his neck for what might have been a few weeks... even it if was a few days thats pretty bad. Thats what you call not being able to properly place a shot and not being patient enough for the buck to present a good shot for one to take.

thats part of the thrill is being able to place your arrow properly, ive had nice bucks that would come in and offer me no GOOD shot, i let them walk off. thats why the sport is called hunting , NOT killing...

at least you were able to take that deer out of the heard and do the ethical thing.

guy shoulda used a harpoon gun with the draw line anchered to the base of the tree... he might have recovered him after the line ran out and snapped the bucks neck when it yanked on him.

Im sorry i still think that was a botch shot. i mean we allhave mis judged a shot b4 bu c mon a quatering to shot like that, not to mention the deer must have been almost under his stand judging from that angle...Thats just a HORRIBLE placed shot...

cant stop thinking about that angle and the fact that this 8 pnt had a broadhead almost through his eye and almost out his throat. i mean i have seen some wounded deer in the woods but this ranks up there. almost as bad as deer running around with there guts hanging out from a gut shot...

My wife can't understand how this stuff tears me up and how beautiful I think these animals are and can go out and hunt them. I guess not being brought up around hunting she will never get it.

I agree with you Geno...no way the shot should have been taken. any scenario I play out it appears to be a poor choice even considering any deer movement at release of the arrow.

I have taken 2 bucks I had no desire to harvest because of wounds inflicted on the opening day barrage. both were obviously wounded and one was just like you described in the gut shot comment. I can't understand why some won't exercize that few seconds of restraint to assess if they can make that clean kill.

I thought the same thing when I saw the broken arrow but I have no idea what happened when the arrow was released by the hunter . I would rather have missed than to get a hit like that . The deer could have made a quick move juat as the arrow was released or it could have been just a crappy shot . Who knows !

The only one I was toying with that MIGHT give the guy a pass was this....close range....quartering away and deer with turned back looking behind him or back over the shoulder....or up at him over his right shoulder....but I still don't get the not waiting...That is the crap that makes hunters look bad and the only stuff you hear about. I'd bet you are right WNY though...looking at him ready to bolt.

May have jumped the string on the shooter.. deer can move real fast in an instant, but reguardless the buck had to have been on alert before the shot. My brother shot a doe last year that jumped on him, she went from broad side to facing him before the arrow got to her at 20 yards.. She was nervous from an encounter with me minutes before. Unbeleivable how fast they can move. He was lucky, he was on the ground so the arrow went into the spine through the neck and killed her instantly. That Muzzy made one hell of a hole in her.