220 class buck would you take a shot at one if the only shot you had was the back side

LJC

Sure would...

After racing around to the side of the woods and heading it off at the other end to get a proper shot.

If someplace that i can't do that I would take a shot with my camera. You know... for proof it does exist.  Ever since I had no witness for the the nice bass I caught and forgot the camera (pre-camera-phone days), I carry a small camera.

I don't shoot at the back 1/3 of deer or the tail end - never have or will.

Miss a shot - well first year that I had deer come by me I shot the same tree 4-5 times and missed 6 deer in the excitment of having so may deer coming by me I couldn't focus down the bead sights.  That afternoon had to go buy another box of slugs after lunch.  Didn't see another deer during season for two years, but that one was one shot and go drag her out.

Kaboom!  I just got a brute!  Wait what was the question, sorry I had a 220" buck in my sights and could not think straight! 

Real easy to say no I would never take that shot on a forum.  To be honest I would have to have the chance to determine what I would do, that shot is a kill shot but not recommend.  Did it once before by accident and had to finish off the deer.  Not the way I would want to take my deer but a texas heart shot is a kill shot! 

7 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Kaboom!  I just got a brute!  Wait what was the question, sorry I had a 220" buck in my sights and could not think straight! 

Real easy to say no I would never take that shot on a forum.  To be honest I would have to have the chance to determine what I would do, that shot is a kill shot but not recommend.  Did it once before by accident and had to finish off the deer.  Not the way I would want to take my deer but a texas heart shot is a kill shot! 

Question how far did bullet travel in the deer ? From the back side .

Depends, on my land no. I have the confidence that I would have another chance at him. In the ADKS yes you could take 100"s of him and the answer would be the same and it wouldn't be a question. As a tracker those are sometimes the only shot u get and I am prepared for with weapon and bullet selection as well as practice. Like lanky Benoit always say " you have your whole life to get yourself ready for the buck of your lifetime."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I shot a small buck about 7 years ago like this with a 30-06. Deer was about 85 yards away. Bullet entered high left butt cheek and exited mid brisket. Deer stumbled around and dropped. Ruined a roast and a nasty gut job. But it died quick.

Yea that's what I was thinking it's going to really do alot of damage at close range with a  2800 foot pound energy  rifle cartridge  and die pretty fast as well . 

Unintentionaly of course....., but I also hit one like this a few years ago with the 50cal ML. It's one of those things I don't talk about much.

RIGHT up the poop shoot and dropped him in his tracks.

The internal damage was horrific, yet extremely effective.

I'd NEVER try that shot on purpose, but yeah... does it ever work!

Unintentionaly of course....., but I also hit one like this a few years ago with the 50cal ML. It's one of those things I don't talk about much.
RIGHT up the poop shoot and dropped him in his tracks.
The internal damage was horrific, yet extremely effective.
I'd NEVER try that shot on purpose, but yeah... does it ever work!

I did the same, to a squirrel once. Luckily for me, there was no damage at all to his internals and I recovered the pellet.

It took me an hour looking for the entrance wound only to discover I used an existing hole.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I would probably take the shot truth of the matter is if I have a view of the ass running away there is a good chance I can also see the head and back of the neck

Good point if you are a little high in  your shot that  would probably   hit the neck  and that is a dead deer . 

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Aim for the tail or closest ham and dead deer. Never would I attempt a running neck shot,

Yea don't no if I will ever take that type of  shot one time I kicked up a nice 8 in some thick brush literally 10 yards from me and i hesitated to pull the trigger and he got out of site . I was not expecting it it's amazing how they can run through that thick stuff like that.  I hunt for the thrill of the chase more then anything to be honest  once you  shoot a few of them and  get older you think differently  you get some or you don't  no big deal to me any more I have a good time either way . 

Yea don't no if I will ever take that type of  shot one time I kicked up a nice 8 in some thick brush literally 10 yards from me and i hesitated to pull the trigger and he got out of site . I was not expecting it it's amazing how they can run through that thick stuff like that.  I hunt for the thrill of the chase more then anything to be honest  once you  shoot a few of them and  get older you think differently  you get some or you don't  no big deal to me any more I have a good time either way . 

I used to shoot every running deer I saw. Now as archery as taught me to be patient and wait for shots and my woodsman skills have developed i don't. Also carry a front stuffer entire season as I see more challenge there as well. We each have our own styles and goals and that's what makes it awesome.

And after years and years of driving deer and tracking I don't even know how a 200 lb deer can manage to walk thru some of the spots I've been in let alone run amazing animals

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My trophy room I showed on the other thread every one of my mounts except for the small 8 was shot in the ADKS and I think all but 1 were running shots a few straight away as I grow up I have slowed down a lot and became better at tracking and still hunting. Years ago I would jump a buck shoot at him get on his track jump him shoot at him..... Until he got tired or it got dark. I was fortunate to be a good shot and in very good shape so I could do this all day if need be, now that I am carrying 20 extra pounds it has slowed me down and made me better at the big woods game. Now I try to not jump them at all and shoot them in their beds but not always possible.

46 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I used to shoot every running deer I saw. Now as archery as taught me to be patient and wait for shots and my woodsman skills have developed i don't. Also carry a front stuffer entire season as I see more challenge there as well. We each have our own styles and goals and that's what makes it awesome.

And after years and years of driving deer and tracking I don't even know how a 200 lb deer can manage to walk thru some of the spots I've been in let alone run amazing animals

Yea they really are 

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

There are other ways to cure 'deer fever'. Use a single shot, or only load one round in the chamber and keep the mag/tube empty.