220 class buck would you take a shot at one if the only shot you had was the back side

LJC

anyway you put it.... no.  that said if someone is torn and on the fence, PM me.  i'll ask to bring a case of beer and dinner.  you can still on the couch and look through an unmounted scope at my buddy's deer to fill the need.  hell if you bring a gift card for his other half he might even let you shoot it with a rubber band gun. haha

mikebuck - Copy.jpg

Edited by dbHunterNY
forgot the buck pic

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

anyway you put it.... no.  that said if someone is torn and on the fence, PM me.  i'll ask to bring a case of beer and dinner.  you can still on the couch and look through an unmounted scope at my buddy's deer to fill the need.  hell if you bring a gift card for his other half he might even let you shoot it with a rubber band gun. haha

mikebuck - Copy.jpg

So that is what a mature buck looks like.  Good Lord!

• Like 3

Man you ask all the pressing questions!

I have seen guys shoot 80lb fawns thought the hams with a shotgun. I have had shots fired over my back at a running 4pt.  I had to hug my buddy behind the rim of my truck one day because guys were shooting at a doe bouncing towards us.  I was In my stand one day about 100yd  from a road and a small buck ran across the road in front of a car. The buck was headed my direction and the guy opened fire from the road while I'm yelling and screaming hoping he hears or sees me.  

LOL.... I'm sorry I see Livingston county under your name...Seriously the above  isnot funny....but do I ever feel vindicated!

19 minutes ago, Odorless said:

DB I don't get it.. did he shoot that buck in the a$$?

no he didn't.... if you're feeling an urge to take a marginal shot on a deer of that caliber then you should take up my offer.  you'll lose less sleep... well maybe not.  the hunting world will be in a better place though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

stop promoting the spread of evidence mature bucks exist!  first rule about fight club. don't talk about fight club. I did but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I just think its funny when people talk about 2 and 3 year olds as mature.  I am not above shooting either, but know they aren't mature.  Sure they are bigger than a 1 year old and the growth is more obvious from 1-3, but the same is true of humans.  Some humans may even look fairly mature at 14years old, but they still have lots of maturing to do.  Now that buck, ain't no 2,3 or 4 year old.  Would I texas heart shoot it, put him at 30 yds in front of me with my slug gun as he walks away and we will find out.  I would hope not, but until then, its all theoretical.  Kind of like finding $2mm in a bag in the woods.  Would you turn it in?  I would hope so but prefer not to be tested.

Edited by moog5050

I can be honest I have successfully taken a Texas heart shot...

When the kids were just babies  I got the flu on Friday and by Monday I had been sleeping on the bathroom floor. For obvious reasons. I was home alone and needed to drive from Avon to Alfred for the opener...Still sick but refusing to give in. I literally crawled to the shower ,dressed and half crawled to the truck for the drive to camp...Got there right as the guys were heading out and I made it down the hill to my stand telling Dad I was shooting the first thing that crossed my path...and I did 40 yards saw the hit ..but it ran and I panicked. OMG! it can't go down the hill! I pumped another round in and all I had was its butt to shoot at. I knew I had a kill shot on it but a "dead" deer in Alfred can run a long long ways... Bam!...It looked sorta like an accordion at the hit.  I knew where it was...so got out of stand and doubled over went to camp sweating bullets...the walk up about killed me...Dad was there and came down...Oh boy.... we went down and he radioed Mr B. you better get down here...she made a mess and can barely stand and I'm not gutting it...

Holy Hanna....... it looked like some one had inserted a brush cutter , then turned it on...So Mr B didn't talk to me for 2 whole days...first and only time I saw him a tad green around the gills... Yep never again.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I just think its funny when people talk about 2 and 3 year olds as mature.  I am not above shooting either, but know they aren't mature.  Sure they are bigger than a 1 year old and the growth is more obvious from 1-3, but the same is true of humans.  Some humans may even look fairly mature at 14years old, but they still have lots of maturing to do.  Now that buck, ain't no 2,3 or 4 year old.  Would I texas heart shoot it, put him at 30 yds in front of me with my slug gun as he walks away and we will find out.  I would hope not, but until then, its all theoretical.  Kind of like finding $2mm in a bag in the woods.  Would you turn it in?  I would hope so but prefer not to be tested.

that's why they call it the moment of truth. lol  mature buck is one thing and then what we're talking about is a whole something else.  Based on past experience, I'd still probably let it walk, but I'd be full of crap if I said it was a no brainer and didn't lose sleep over it.

2 hours ago, Odorless said:

Man you ask all the pressing questions!

I have seen guys shoot 80lb fawns thought the hams with a shotgun. I have had shots fired over my back at a running 4pt.  I had to hug my buddy behind the rim of my truck one day because guys were shooting at a doe bouncing towards us.  I was In my stand one day about 100yd  from a road and a small buck ran across the road in front of a car. The buck was headed my direction and the guy opened fire from the road while I'm yelling and screaming hoping he hears or sees me.  

So to answer the question it would be NO my first reaction would be to take cover because God knows what the hell would happen if someone else seen it. 

It is a very lethal shoot. But I would pass and hope for a better shot

I have been in this situation with a 140 class buck witch to me would be equivalent to a 220" 

I was so 95% sure I could have killed it ..  I regrettably passed 

You know until this thread I wondered how the hell do people ever die during deer season--even without blaze orange? Obviously it increases visibility but I can't imagine shooting at something that is simply moving and I cannot confirm it's a deer. Now I know how: it's people with no discipline shooting wildly without a care for what is beyond their target.

• Like 1

Been trying to tell you ppl for years...it happens in these parts all of the time. One reason I started bow hunting...I'll go out on a limb and say, it's more than a little likely it's why many in these parts bow hunt....

So now just wonder why they prefer not having the "Johnny come lately' s" from coming into bow with cross bows. Not saying that's my opinion it's just something to think about.

Edited by growalot

2 hours ago, growalot said:

I can be honest I have successfully taken a Texas heart shot...

When the kids were just babies  I got the flu on Friday and by Monday I had been sleeping on the bathroom floor. For obvious reasons. I was home alone and needed to drive from Avon to Alfred for the opener...Still sick but refusing to give in. I literally crawled to the shower ,dressed and half crawled to the truck for the drive to camp...Got there right as the guys were heading out and I made it down the hill to my stand telling Dad I was shooting the first thing that crossed my path...and I did 40 yards saw the hit ..but it ran and I panicked. OMG! it can't go down the hill! I pumped another round in and all I had was its butt to shoot at. I knew I had a kill shot on it but a "dead" deer in Alfred can run a long long ways... Bam!...It looked sorta like an accordion at the hit.  I knew where it was...so got out of stand and doubled over went to camp sweating bullets...the walk up about killed me...Dad was there and came down...Oh boy.... we went down and he radioed Mr B. you better get down here...she made a mess and can barely stand and I'm not gutting it...

Holy Hanna....... it looked like some one had inserted a brush cutter , then turned it on...So Mr B didn't talk to me for 2 whole days...first and only time I saw him a tad green around the gills... Yep never again.

Was that with the shotgun or rifle ?

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Been trying to tell you ppl for years...it happens in these parts all of the time. One reason I started bow hunting...I'll go out on a limb and say, it's more than a little likely it's why many in these parts bow hunt....

So now just wonder why they prefer not having the "Johnny come lately' s" from coming into bow with cross bows. Not saying that's my opinion it's just something to think about.

Yea I like bow hunting for that reason as well . People can be trigger happy and even a crossbow cocked is just like a gun it's to easy for someone  to just pull the trigger at anything that moves . ThatS  also why I try to hunt on weekdays and avoid  weekends if I can.

I don't no just thinking about this a little more if the 220 class deer was really close like 20 30 yards away and I  new for sure there was no danger of hitting anything else besides that deer and the deer was moving slowly away not at full speed I may try to spine it . But I'm not sure I am always cautious when I pull the trigger and take my time and think about what I'm doing so chances are the deer would be out of range by the time i decided to do anything.  It's one of those things you don't know exactly till it happens to you I guess .