AR-15

SuperMag

9 hours ago, chas0218 said:

I'm looking into doing the same. Where did you end up getting your lower parts kit? I have been looking at the ground zero precision kits but don't know of many people that use them.

I got a lower build kit online from Palmetto State Armory. The build kit includes the stock, buffer tube, grip, and the lower parts kit (including the fire control group). The one i got was like $130. PSA runs good deals on different parts a couple times a week. I was very satisfied with my purchase, the only thing i didn't like was that they took a little while to ship it.

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

some at the club had a kit that made the magazine fixed unless you opened up the upper at which is can be released.  seemed slick and legitimately legal but I don't know if any entity has actually weighed in on it that matters.

I know what you're talking about but I'm not sure if its legal or not. With mine, my magazine is fixed and cannot be removed no matter what. I have a special rear take down pin on the receiver that sticks out about 1/4" so you can easily pull it out and load the gun through the top of the magazine. I'm not sure what you're talking about is legal because i dont think the magazine is supposed to come out at all legally. Im definitely not an expert on this and built mine the way i did just to play it safe. I'd love to be able to remove my magazine, but with all these confusing laws, its not worth it to me.

So as long as your mag is fixed .and only holds  no more then 10 rounds 

You can have pistol grip on any  semi automatic rifle ? 

Dont have any guns that are  assault looking like a AR or anything with a pistol grip  so just wondering whats legal now a days 

Edited by Deerstalker

8 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

So as long as your mag is fixed .and only holds  no more then 10 rounds 

You can have pistol grip on any  semi automatic rifle ? 

Dont have any guns that are  assault looking like a AR or anything with a pistol grip  so just wondering whats legal now a days 

As far as i know, yes, if you have a fixed mag you can have those accessories.

35 minutes ago, SuperMag said:

As far as i know, yes, if you have a fixed mag you can have those accessories.

So basically you could just drill and tap the mag in place of any AR and  get around the law sounds like ..

Ps dont know  if  you can do that and still have  it work right since i dont have a AR  but  seems like any gunsmith could do that probably and get it to work right . Or do you have to buy it like that is there something in the law that says you cant modify it to be that way i mean on your own  in the law ? .

Edited by Deerstalker

On 11/21/2016 at 0:00 PM, dbHunterNY said:

some at the club had a kit that made the magazine fixed unless you opened up the upper at which is can be released.  seemed slick and legitimately legal but I don't know if any entity has actually weighed in on it that matters.

Nobody has, I promise you. I don't believe a single case has been brought by the state under NY SAFE that only dealt with mag compliance.

My opinion on those is that they are not NY compliant and yes I've seen videos. I would not want to defend it in a court room.

IMO you have two options in NY: a true, fixed mag that requires proper disassembly (pulling a quick pin doesn't count to my standard, but that is just me), such as unscrewing something with tools OR use a compliant stock like a thordsen, plus non-threaded barrel, etc.

I think a lot of people who have tried fixed stock mags on ARs hate them and I would be in that category. I would go that route if thordsen wasn't legal, but it is and I find the stock perfectly comfortable.

29 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

You can buy a kit to "pin" the mag. Once it's pinned it is legal. That's of course after u register it...

There is no registry of ARs anymore. The registration [of new ARs] which has now expired under NY SAFE was to allow people with NY SAFE non-compliant ARs to grandfather them in if they registered them. That is no longer possible to do. As such, there is no registration; any new gun must be compliant

As far as NY is concerned if the semi auto rifle has no more than a 10 round magazine and has a fixed magazine (so pinning one, or screwing it in with epoxy should work--but again this has never been challenged in court, but there are some stores that sell them "fixed" in this manner) you can add all the otherwise-banned features like pistol grip and flash hider.

The state has not defined what fixed means, so that's why nobody really knows entirely. There literally no legal precedent for it in the state. Must it be welded? Must it be screwed and glued? Or if a 30 second screw driver can undo it, does that count? Nobody really knows for sure.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, SuperMag said:

I know what you're talking about but I'm not sure if its legal or not. With mine, my magazine is fixed and cannot be removed no matter what. I have a special rear take down pin on the receiver that sticks out about 1/4" so you can easily pull it out and load the gun through the top of the magazine. I'm not sure what you're talking about is legal because i dont think the magazine is supposed to come out at all legally. Im definitely not an expert on this and built mine the way i did just to play it safe. I'd love to be able to remove my magazine, but with all these confusing laws, its not worth it to me.

problem is it's subjective.  the argument is that you're basically disassembling the gun to get the mag out.  any gun can be disassembled to detach a magazine or components that make it up.  your just not doing it much. so how readily or not does it have to be to make it detachable.

• Like 1

If I may hijack a bit and plug a local gun shop that has awesome service and is the only one around Erie county area to have a huge stock in safe act legal AR's and all kinds of parts and kits.... Look up https://ddsranch.com/
Guy knows his stuff and always has a selection. I've spent ALOT here. Gives great pricing on guns and gear saved me 300$ on my savage 220 scoped over cabelas. It's also nice to support the local guys

On 11/22/2016 at 4:24 PM, Core said:

There is no registry of ARs anymore. The registration [of new ARs] which has now expired under NY SAFE was to allow people with NY SAFE non-compliant ARs to grandfather them in if they registered them. That is no longer possible to do. As such, there is no registration; any new gun must be compliant

As far as NY is concerned if the semi auto rifle has no more than a 10 round magazine and has a fixed magazine (so pinning one, or screwing it in with epoxy should work--but again this has never been challenged in court, but there are some stores that sell them "fixed" in this manner) you can add all the otherwise-banned features like pistol grip and flash hider.

The state has not defined what fixed means, so that's why nobody really knows entirely. There literally no legal precedent for it in the state. Must it be welded? Must it be screwed and glued? Or if a 30 second screw driver can undo it, does that count? Nobody really knows for sure.

Pretty sure the bayonet, flash suppressor, and a forward grip ( like a tack grip for the forward hand ) are still banned in NYS. The last change to what was deemed an assault rifle made by he NYSP is still in effect, that was two years ago. When I bought my M&P ( even the .22LR are subject to the bans and laws ) last Spring, I wanted a detachable mag, so I had to deal with the "spur" grip. That was the only way they could legally sell it to me with a detachable mag. They still have to be fully "NYS Compliant" with the safe act.

You pick your poison to swallow, deal with a spur grip and detachable mag, use a pistol grip and fixed mag and break open the upper to load and unload ( as stated, more wear and tear then should be needed ), or when asked say, "I am not a fan of Antler Restrictions." and walk away. :whistle:

29 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Pretty sure the bayonet, flash suppressor, and a forward grip ( like a tack grip for the forward hand ) are still banned in NYS. The last change to what was deemed an assault rifle made by he NYSP is still in effect, that was two years ago. When I bought my M&P ( even the .22LR are subject to the bans and laws ) last Spring, I wanted a detachable mag, so I had to deal with the "spur" grip. That was the only way they could legally sell it to me with a detachable mag. They still have to be fully "NYS Compliant" with the safe act.

You pick your poison to swallow, deal with a spur grip and detachable mag, use a pistol grip and fixed mag and break open the upper to load and unload ( as stated, more wear and tear then should be needed ), or when asked say, "I am not a fan of Antler Restrictions." and walk away. :whistle:

Those are only banned on a semi auto with a detachable mag.

On 11/22/2016 at 4:20 PM, Core said:

Nobody has, I promise you. I don't believe a single case has been brought by the state under NY SAFE that only dealt with mag compliance.

My opinion on those is that they are not NY compliant and yes I've seen videos. I would not want to defend it in a court room.

IMO you have two options in NY: a true, fixed mag that requires proper disassembly (pulling a quick pin doesn't count to my standard, but that is just me), such as unscrewing something with tools OR use a compliant stock like a thordsen, plus non-threaded barrel, etc.

I think a lot of people who have tried fixed stock mags on ARs hate them and I would be in that category. I would go that route if thordsen wasn't legal, but it is and I find the stock perfectly comfortable.

When you disassemble a gun, it means it makes it inoperable. When you split the lower and upper, its inoperable.

I have shot them and have no idea why you are so against them. If you practice, mag changes actually dont take long at all. You can throw whatever accessories you want on them to boot.

5 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Hmm...See, this where the regs get blurry. A semi auto shotgun is classified as an assault weapon if it has a pistol grip if I recall. 

Theres nothing blurry about the law really. It states what is considered an assault weapon. We arent talking shotguns here btw.

https://safeact.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/Shotgunsbannedfeatures.pdf

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Theres nothing blurry about the law really. It states what is considered an assault weapon. We arent talking shotguns here btw.

https://safeact.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/Shotgunsbannedfeatures.pdf

OK. Back on rifles.

What's point of not having a detachable magazine? I would rather have my spur grip just in case I have to use it as a self defense weapon then have to do a break to reload. Lets be honest here, we buy these style of rifles because they are tough, accurate, can't call them light if you add every accessory available, and if the need arises to use as self defense. If all you want is a pure hunting rifle, you can save a lot of money with a bolt action.  

OK. Back on rifles.
What's point of not having a detachable magazine? I would rather have my spur grip just in case I have to use it as a self defense weapon then have to do a break to reload. Lets be honest here, we buy these style of rifles because they are tough, accurate, can't call them light if you add every accessory available, and if the need arises to use as self defense. If all you want is a pure hunting rifle, you can save a lot of money with a bolt action.  

Not to mention likely get better accuracy too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For those who have gone the fixed mag route, how have you gone about it?  I just clicked the DD's Ranch link above and saw they sell a replacement mag release lock and an extended rear takedown pin.  Is that (potentially speaking, not asking for anyone to render a legal opinion) all I would need to modify a new lower to make it "Compliant"?

Sure would be nice to use an AR style rifle for predator hunting at night instead of a bolt gun.  However, I have no desire to share a cramped one bedroom studio with a roommate named Bubba for the next 5 years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

When you disassemble a gun, it means it makes it inoperable. When you split the lower and upper, its inoperable.

This is not a definition in NY SAFE, though. The law has not specified exactly the standard to which a magazine must meet to be considered fixed or detachable. I can't find the video now but I've seen one of people changing mags very quickly with these things. Moreover, once the upper is lifted and the mag dropped, the upper can then be pinned back into place, and at this point the rifle can accept the magazine. NY SAFE does address "accepts a detachable mag", which in the previous step we've shown is detachable (albeit with upper raised). It's just a gray area I wouldn't want to try and defend without precedent saying it can be defended.