Ruger mini 30 any good for deer?

Deerstalker

Another gun i would like to get is the ruger mini 30 

Like most rifles  i have I would like to maybe use it  for deer hunting from time to time .

Whats the best ammo to run in them ? 

I here they dont like that cheep  Russian  stuff that much .

But i noticed thats mostly what you find in the local shops around me  which could be  annoying if you cant get good ammo for it when you want  and have to order it . 

Deerstalker,

I have used the 7.62x39 (mini 30) for a few years now.  Mine is in a CZ 527 bolt action.  The only ammo that I have used is the Federal Fusion, both the regular Fusion and the Fusion MSR.  Very accurate in the 527 and last year one of the largest bucks that I have ever shot was taken with the 7.62x39.  The range was about 150 to 160 yards, a front quartering, deer went 60 yards and piled up.  Great exit wound and good blood trail.  My 527 is rapidly becoming my favorite deer gun.

8 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Deerstalker,

I have used the 7.62x39 (mini 30) for a few years now.  Mine is in a CZ 527 bolt action.  The only ammo that I have used is the Federal Fusion, both the regular Fusion and the Fusion MSR.  Very accurate in the 527 and last year one of the largest bucks that I have ever shot was taken with the 7.62x39.  The range was about 150 to 160 yards, a front quartering, deer went 60 yards and piled up.  Great exit wound and good blood trail.  My 527 is rapidly becoming my favorite deer gun.

CZ makes a nice rifle

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Deerstalker,

Thats probably double the range i will ever use this cal 7.62x39 gun at if i hunt with it pretty much cant get a clear shot past 70 80 yards  in my area .

I had a mini 14 once which is very similar to the 30 in design. It was probably the most inconsistent gun I have ever owned when it came to accuracy. Ruger's semi autos have had a bad reputation when it comes to accuracy. They may have improved since I owned mine but it is something I would look into before purchasing one.  If you can find one to shoot before you purchase it may be a good idea.

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

I had a mini 14 once which is very similar to the 30 in design. It was probably the most inconsistent gun I have ever owned when it came to accuracy. Ruger's semi autos have had a bad reputation when it comes to accuracy. They may have improved since I owned mine but it is something I would look into before purchasing one.  If you can find one to shoot before you purchase it may be a good idea.

I heard the same thing i heard they made changes in 08 but not sure how much that helps  sucks because i really like the way that gun looks and the compact size  of it . 

the mini 14s in the early years were not ruger barrels... and yes they were inconsistant. That only lasted a few years. My mini 30 will clover leaf a 5 shot group at 100 yrds with the right ammo. Now there is alot of junk 762x39 ammo on the market so you will have to do some trial and error to find the combo that works...or reload then its right everytime.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk