Gorgeous handgun

Pygmy

The Mermaid's son stopped by today...His dad is getting along in years and has decided to get rid of some of his guns..

He  showed me a beautiful S&W  model 27 that his dad had given him...The M 27 was Smith's " Cadillac"  of  .357 revolvers faultless in fit and finish

It is in pristine condition, with beautiful deep blued finish and a 5" barrel , just a slight cylinder line and virtually no holster wear.

I DROOLED......

• Like 6

On 12/18/2016 at 11:28 PM, Pygmy said:

.The M 27 was Smith's " Cadillac"  of  .357 revolvers faultless in fit and finish

Right you are Dan and you can add the other N Frame models 25 model 57 and model 29 to that Cadillac listing, those big revolvers are just beautiful to look at and hold and accurate as any. I once owned a model 29 with the 6 1/2 inch barrel, back then they came with the velvet lined wood presentation case and cleaning kit. I killed a couple of Deer with it and a nice big boar hog in Tennessee. I made a huge mistake trading it toward a Desert Eagle autoloading 44 mag which is a great gun also but in retrospect I should have kept the S&W model 29 and just bought the Desert Eagle outright.

Al

My old Model 29 and Tenn Hog about 40 yrs ago I think.

2377115390033835012usnRFw_ph_zpsve2jarhi

Edited by airedale
  • Like 6

I've never owned a Model 27, I do have a Model 19 that has helped a few hogs see their demise, VERY accurate handgun. Off topic, but I just inherited a Interarms Virginia Dragoon single-action revolver that was my father's before he passed on, .44 mag with a 6" barrel. I'd never heard of this gun before, did a little reading on the internet, mostly mixed reviews. Curious to see how this gun performs on hogs, will give it a try this spring.

• Like 2

A hunting buddy of mine has a minty Smith .32 hand ejector that he inherited from his uncle a couple of years ago..

I tried to talk him out of it, but NO DICE....<<sigh>>....The old gent did a lot of  trout fishing in north central PA and he used the little revolver to shoot rattlesnakes....

One of the biggest bonehead wheel and dealing moves I made was getting rid of a pre war S&W 38-44 heavy duty Outdoorsman revolver. It fired 38 special loads similar to the Plus-P loads we have today. It was built on their 44 large frame and the workmanship-fit-finish was as good as I have ever seen on any firearm at any cost. My reasoning back then was why would I want to carry a revolver the same size as my model 29 44 mag that was firing the puny 38spl. "DOPE!!:bad:"

Al

file photo

800px-Prewar_Outdoorsman_zpsxqfphfc8.jpg

3 hours ago, airedale said:

One of the biggest bonehead wheel and dealing moves I made was getting rid of a pre war S&W 38-44 heavy duty Outdoorsman revolver. It fired 38 special loads similar to the Plus-P loads we have today. It was built on their 44 large frame and the workmanship-fit-finish was as good as I have ever seen on any firearm at any cost. My reasoning back then was why would I want to carry a revolver the same size as my model 29 44 mag that was firing the puny 38spl. "DOPE!!:bad:"

Al

file photo

800px-Prewar_Outdoorsman_zpsxqfphfc8.jpg

DANG , Al....!!   You're tearing my heart out here....I won't be able to sleep tonite after reading this....

I'll be lying there having nightmares about the half dozen or so firearms that I sold or traded off and wish now I still had....

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Rummaging around the gun room and found these two Speer 44 cal 225 gr half jacket HPs, they were fired out of the S&W model 29 and recovered from the hog above. That style of bullets are some of my favorites out of handguns, they were very accurate and performed great on game, I handloaded them over a charge of 21 grs of 2400 for a velocity in the mid 1400 fps area. That half jacket style bullet was also made in 240 gr soft point and in 357 cal in 146 HPs and 160 soft point. I used the 146 HPs frequently which also had good performance when fired in several 357 revolvers and a Marlin 94 rifle.  Looks like all of these half jacket styles were dropped from the Speer line and are no longer produced, glad I have a few stashed away.

Al

002.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fletch said:

Never been a fan of revollvers look. Maybe an old Colt or Ruger but anything from the past century na.

To each his own, Fletch....Some like blondes, some brunettes...<<smile>>...

A lot of people like the looks of the T/C Contender/Encore...I think they are among the ugliest rifles ever made..

Personally, I think the classic double action revolvers made by S&W and Colt in the early and mid 1900s are a thing of beauty...

In autos, I like Lugers and 1911s and some of their variations...Don't much care for the looks of  Glocks, Sigs and many of the more modern autos.

• Like 1

I have an affinity toward many precision mechanical devices and the high quality firearms like the S&W and Colt revolvers rank high for me. To me they are like a fine watch, lots of wonderful craftsmanship made from beautifully hand fitted steel parts they just reek of quality, gunmaker's art.

Years ago I was once watching an anti handgun news segment and the reporter had a few handguns on a table in from of him. He picked up a beautiful new Colt Python revolver to look over and after a minute or so of playing around thumbing the hammer and pulling the trigger his face lit up and he said " I can somewhat understand the attraction to these things, this is a beautiful piece of workmanship."

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a S&W Model 1917 in .45 ACP that uses moon clips, or can be fired using the .45 Auto Rim cartridge, of which I have one box of 50 rounds that is very old.  I got it cheap because the prior owner cut the barrel down to 4" and put adjustable sights on it.  Still quite an imposing handgun with that big fame.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, Rattler said:

I have a S&W Model 1917 in .45 ACP that uses moon clips, or can be fired using the .45 Auto Rim cartridge, of which I have one box of 50 rounds that is very old.  I got it cheap because the prior owner cut the barrel down to 4" and put adjustable sights on it.  Still quite an imposing handgun with that big fame.

Remember in the 50s and 60s, when you could buy those mail order  , dirt cheap through military surplus outlets, along with all kinds of other quality surplus firearms ?