Another scope question

RobC

Hey guys, I'm well aware that what scope should I get is probably one of the most asked question. So I had some extra Christmas money laying around believe it or not. So I picked up a winchester model 70 in 300 win mag. Now I need a scope for it. Realistically the farthest I'd be able to shoot it would be 300 yards in target shooting, and cut that in half for deer hunting if I ever decide to use it for hunting. So what scope should I get. I've done a bunch of research and looked over all the stats. I'm wondering if I missed any. Looking at max of 500 dollars to spend on it. I'm partial to leupold because thats what I have on my 30 06 which is my most comparable gun to this but I'm not really brand loyal at this point. Thanks for any opinions. 

As Moog ( aka  Big Chooch)  says, the Zeiss is a quality scope at an excellent price..The Euro scopes tend to run a bit heavy, but with a hard hitter like the .300 mag you could probably USE a little extra weight.

I am a huge Leupold fan myself...Can't go wrong with a Leupy.

Be sure you pick a scope with ample eye relief..."Scope Eye" from a .300 mag is not fun.

Considering that you are not going to be shooting past 300 yards, you don't need any fancy lights or ranging reticules or any of the rest of that nonsense. A plain or duplex reticule will work just fine, and 9 power is plenty of magnification for your high end.

Keep it simple...Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

• Like 4

Thanks guys. I don't post a lot on here usually because you guys are quick with answers or more knowledgeable on the topics. But when I got questions of my own I always get awesome feedback. Thanks again guys. I'll check out the suggestions. I did like the vx3i

I definitely recommend trying out a scope in person before buying if possible.

Had my heart set on a Leupold until I got to a local field and stream that had a couple of different scopes set up on dummy stocks to test out. Realized the Nikon fit my eye/vision better.

Minox are another that use Schott glass (German co that make Swavo, etc). Sightron has some great Japanese glass. Lots of options and cult followings...but go model specific reviews versus brands actually. Cameralandny, opticsplanet and Natchez all have great scope deals. Good luck. Spend more on the glass than the gun and you'll never regret it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk