1970 Catalog

Pygmy

One of my hunting buddies just gave a 1970 Hunting catalog from Parker Distributers in New Rochelle, NY..

I have been getting a kick out of browsing through it...here are a few items...All NIB, of course..

Ruger 10/22 carbine  $49

Rem 700 BDL             $155

Rem 760 Carbine        $140

Sako Forester Full Stock carbine...$190

Mossberg 500              $75

Weatherby Mk V           $329

Leupold Vari X II   3x9     $62

I noticed that fixed power scopes outnumbered variables by about 3 to 1...

Most hunting clothes were brown duck or red checked....There   wasn't a lot of camo clothing and there was only ONE pattern..WWII....hehehe....

• Like 1

I remember that store it was better then a candy store....Bought my first pellet gun there with paper route money....,It was a hand gun I think it was an Oklahoma break barrel pistol I can't remember but I think it was about 20 bucks...shot lots of cans with it....Wow Parker talk about memories

• Like 1

Anybody got any pet firearms they want me to look up so your can eat your heart out ?

For instance a brand new BAR  ( postpaid, of course)  for $175   ?

Just don't ask for any synthetic stocks...There aren't any....<<smile>>......Not much stainless to speak of either, although around that time you could get a Rem 700 in BLUED stainless...

I still have an old Parker catalog from back in that time period, I mail order purchased all my original Bair reloading equipment from Parker's and am still using that stuff today. Around 1969 a buddy and myself decided to do a day trip and go down to that store in person, we drove down to New Rochelle to the Parker Distributor retail store from the Rome area where I lived at the time. I was going on an Elk hunt in Colorado with my Dad and needed a rifle. I purchased a Sako Finnbear in 338 Winchester mag along with Sako rings, a Leupold 2X7 scope with a three inch dot reticle and ammo and a few other accessories. My friend bought a pile of reloading equipment and a scope, their prices could not be beat and it was well worth the trip and experience.

Good memory!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, airedale said:

LOL, that sounds about right and while those prices were real good and are cheap by today's prices  back then it was a whole lot of money for me.

Al

Yeah, at that time I was working as a grocery clerk in an A&P  store for about $2  an hour...

22 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Anybody got any pet firearms they want me to look up so your can eat your heart out ?

For instance a brand new BAR  ( postpaid, of course)  for $175   ?

Just don't ask for any synthetic stocks...There aren't any....<<smile>>......Not much stainless to speak of either, although around that time you could get a Rem 700 in BLUED stainless...

Yeah, Belgian made Browning Sweet Sixteen semi-auto shotgun. Want to see if I paid too much! LOL

Browning was no longer making guns in Belgium in 1970....I'm pretty sure the 1970 guns were made in Japan and ( I think) assembled in Utah... Still very high quality, though..I had an A-5 12 gauge Magnum of that vintage and it was a wonderful shotgun, my first 3" Magnum..

Anyway, here's the price for a 1970  Sweet Sixteen...$210 for a vent rib model, $195 for a plain barrel...According to the catalog, all Browning guns were postpaid.

I got my first hunting license in October of 1970.  Even though those prices seem low, the dollar was worth a lot more back then.  About 5 times more than it's worth today.  So multiply those prices by 5 and that's the amount of discretionary income it was costing people at the time.  I know, because I bought a Mossberg $500 in 1970 for $80 and was only earning $2.10 per hour at the time.  That's was a week's take home pay for me then.

One good thing about buying firearms though.  They tend to increase in value as the value of the dollar drops, so you really should never lose money on a firearm when you sell it if it's not abused and maintained well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Browning was no longer making guns in Belgium in 1970....I'm pretty sure the 1970 guns were made in Japan and ( I think) assembled in Utah... Still very high quality, though..I had an A-5 12 gauge Magnum of that vintage and it was a wonderful shotgun, my first 3" Magnum..

Anyway, here's the price for a 1970  Sweet Sixteen...$210 for a vent rib model, $195 for a plain barrel...According to the catalog, all Browning guns were postpaid.

Cool. I bought mine in 1966 and (including the soft case) paid about $300. At that time it was big money... I saved all summer for it. Still have it BTW. Thanks!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Cool. I bought mine in 1966 and (including the soft case) paid about $300. At that time it was big money... I saved all summer for it. Still have it BTW. Thanks!

Damn right that was big money, Bugsy.....At that time you could get a hooker in NYC for  less than 20 bucks...

Don't ask me how I know that......<,GRIN>>.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Damn right that was big money, Bugsy.....At that time you could get a hooker in NYC for  less than 20 bucks...

Don't ask me how I know that......<,GRIN>>.....

Taint no hooker worth that! If it ain't free, it's not for me! 

• Like 1

Prostitution is illegal, because marriage is so expensive, it can't compete in an open market. :rofl:

Plus, you give up variety and the ability of ever getting a newer model when the one you have is worn out.

And before any wives bash me, I'm not talking to just husbands here.

^_^

• Like 2