Fell thru ice Leroy

greg54

40 minutes ago, greg54 said:

http://www.whec.com/news/person-rescued-from-leroy-ice/4377942/   Saw on news quick story about 2 guys went out on some ice and one went thru. Why take the risk with conditions that have melted any ice. I know I wouldn't.

so the news story is they got themselves out...... but the rescuers went out to retrieve their gear?  

That to me is absolutely foolish!  the people were safe, they can buy new gear! lesson learned!   I can tell you when I was a chief in my dept. there is NO way I am sending my guys out to get your gear!

I have always said that people that venture out on sketchy ice do not even think about the people that are going to risk their life to save them.  I always told my fire/ems personnel that water rescues are the most dangerous rescues you will encounter,  if the person is drowning or believes they are going to drown and they get a hold of you you are in serious trouble as they will drown YOU to stay alive!

Sorry to rant but I have no tolerance for stupidity on sketchy ice, and even less when you risk the lives of fire/ems personnel and THEIR families lives. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, reeltime said:

so the news story is they got themselves out...... but the rescuers went out to retrieve their gear?  

That to me is absolutely foolish!  the people were safe, they can buy new gear! lesson learned!   I can tell you when I was a chief in my dept. there is NO way I am sending my guys out to get your gear!

I have always said that people that venture out on sketchy ice do not even think about the people that are going to risk their life to save them.  I always told my fire/ems personnel that water rescues are the most dangerous rescues you will encounter,  if the person is drowning or believes they are going to drown and they get a hold of you you are in serious trouble as they will drown YOU to stay alive!

Sorry to rant but I have no tolerance for stupidity on sketchy ice, and even less when you risk the lives of fire/ems personnel and THEIR families lives. 

They might have wanted some cold water practice. You can only practice a few months out of the year.

• Like 1

I must have read that differently...It sounded like they had their mishap and left..leaving gear behind. This made me think someone saw the incident and not the results, or some one saw the broken Ice ,gear and called it in.

Any how, I liked the other news story on there about the Coyotes the size of small German shepherds in Greece NY better.

Saw a neighborhood kid fall through the canal once ,that was scary,seen him hit the ice from underneith a couple times before finding the hole he went through. 

Also my buddy busted his snowmobile through on a creek crossing , we had to leave to get a winch to yank it out and wrote a small message on the seat written in mud that said : OK COMING BACK FOR IT

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Saw a neighborhood kid fall through the canal once ,that was scary,seen him hit the ice from underneith a couple times before finding the hole he went through. 

Also my buddy busted his snowmobile through on a creek crossing , we had to leave to get a winch to yank it out and wrote a small message on the seat written in mud that said : OK COMING BACK FOR IT

Went thru the ice on my sled before about waist deep, scary as hell even when I knew it wasn't real deep. The scariest part is the ice cold water against your skin. You start to shiver almost instantly. I went thru another time just walking while ice fishing I hit a soft spot in the ice.  Luckily my sled was tied to me and when I fell I threw myself backwards and ended up with wet legs. I can't tell you how I didn't go all in on that one but thankful I didn't. Rest of the lake was 8" of ice.

13 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Went thru the ice on my sled before about waist deep, scary as hell even when I knew it wasn't real deep. The scariest part is the ice cold water against your skin. You start to shiver almost instantly. I went thru another time just walking while ice fishing I hit a soft spot in the ice.  Luckily my sled was tied to me and when I fell I threw myself backwards and ended up with wet legs. I can't tell you how I didn't go all in on that one but thankful I didn't. Rest of the lake was 8" of ice.

Same here ,only waist deep but we didn't want anyone to think there could be possibly someone underneith still. My father in law had his 4 wheeler and sled go through on Simcoe and he had to hire a helicopter to retrieve it that day , big money to hire a helicopter .

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Same here ,only waist deep but we didn't want anyone to think there could be possibly someone underneith still. My father in law had his 4 wheeler and sled go through on Simcoe and he had to hire a helicopter to retrieve it that day , big money to hire a helicopter .

Either that or big money in fines. I remember a few years ago a guy lost a sled in Sodus Bay he was paying per the day it was in there. Ended up somewhere around 10k I think a helicopter would be about 1/3 that.

I'm not for taking needless risks for guys gear, cats in trees and the like , but from the video it's a small and appears shallow cheek ( which is why they were able to walk out after falling through ) . The guys are in dry suits with pfd's and lines as well as two inflatables and  it looks like the gear is maybe 20 feet away, I'd also guess there are guys stationed down stream with throw bags and the like .

Its not a ragging river with waterfalls or 1/4 mile out on a lake .

Like so many news stories leaves you with more questions then answers, my guess is people saw the gear and hole in ice which generated the response , they went in to check for bodies , they learned the guys got out and grabbed the gear for them. I mean just gear left on ice will not get a response , but if they believe someone went in they're going out , which is my GUESS.

• Like 1

Was looking forward to going ice fishing this past weekend on one of our local lakes. Took a drive around and saw some guys out there. But not many, along with a lot of standing water on top of the ice. Decided it just was not worth taking a chance for a few perch.  I've had a couple close calls when I was younger. I no longer take chances on the ice. This winter has not been conducive to making good solid blue ice in our area. Lots of freezing and thawing have made the ice unpredictable. Unless we get an extended cold spell, this will be the second year in a row where I have not ice fished.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

Was looking forward to going ice fishing this past weekend on one of our local lakes. Took a drive around and saw some guys out there. But not many, along with a lot of standing water on top of the ice. Decided it just was not worth taking a chance for a few perch.  I've had a couple close calls when I was younger. I no longer take chances on the ice. This winter has not been conducive to making good solid blue ice in our area. Lots of freezing and thawing have made the ice unpredictable. Unless we get an extended cold spell, this will be the second year in a row where I have not ice fished.

I went out once last year, this year I haven't even got my equipment down. Not worth risking it for some fish.